Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Why Vintage is better, part deux

This is yet another thread from the old Forums:

http://209.197.112.151/thread.html?d...ID=15&PID=4418

Why Vintage is better
    5-08-2001 - 07:46 PM
    This isn't a "Bash POTJ" thread. I have noticed some things were just better about the old figures than the new ones of the post-1995 lines. For instance, the straight poses meant no Vintage figure looked weird or couldn't stand real well (except EV-9D9). In my opnion, the cloth accessories beat most of the molded and soft goods of today anyday.

Am I alone in my inability to forget the past? Better not be! 'Cause in my day, we...
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

I loved it when Kenner started getting really creative. I just about peed when I saw the Royal Guard. That was one of the first ROTJ figures I purchased. I couldn't believe how awesome the sculpt was and that "velvety" robe was just too cool!

I loved the endor figures with their ponchos and Han with his trenchcoat. Those rocked!!! I love the cloth accessories and I wish they would bring them back. I purchased a couple of those accessory packs for the E1 figures so I could have the Jedi robes for Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon... LOVE those!
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Thumbs up POTF2/POTJ Vehicles proves Vintage Rules

Testing...

Anyway - if vintage didn't rule then why would Hasbro just recyle all the vintage bodies for the ships they make?
    Esentially they are EXACTLY the same, just with more paint and less electronics for more money.
    For my Star Wars TV List go here
    Viddy Well my Malcolm McDowell/Clockwork Orange Tribute site

thrawn hey nice avatar?

thrawn, sorry to take up space but nice avatar? who did it? haha well hope u like it, let me know if you want more detail.. but its hard with a blue face u know?

Why I outta....

If I could only get my hands on the guy who made that avatar I'd....

My favorite Thrawn pic is the one by Dave Dorman - has the big gold shoulder boards and the rank badge, but you would have to shrink this one down a bit for that detail and more work, but if you are up to the challenge - run with it.

Also - post how much you like vintage over POTJ while you are at it.

TTYL
    For my Star Wars TV List go here
    Viddy Well my Malcolm McDowell/Clockwork Orange Tribute site

Talking Thrawn will do

Thrawn,

hey send me the pic and iw ill redo.. get my address from Steve. in any case yeah i agree that VINTAGE is better because we can relate to it more, and also notible comments made earlier are true.

i loved the cloth capes etc, that made the figures "neat". nowadays they look really cool but i don't like the plastic so much. i do not know though its hard to say. perhaps we are a little biased since the vintage stuff looks "right" to us because when we were little we idolized the damn things.... and whats better than getting a pair of plyers to see if u could pull out boba fetts rocket?

Red face Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Sorry to break up your avatar love fest guys, but back to the subject.

I absolutely disagree that vintage stuff is across the board better than POTJ, POTF, EP1, etc. The newer figures generally have better sculpts and absolutely have better articulation. They usually have better (and more) accessories as well.

The strength of the vintage line lays in the durability of the figures. They are beefier (more plastic) and aren't as easily breakable. I mean, look at the EP1 Anakin and Ody Mandrell figures as well as all the Leias. You could snap them in half as easy as Mr. Miyagi with a bottle of beer. Their other cool features are the cloth capes and robes. Where they didn't have the cloth, the robes were incorporated as actual parts of the figure, a la the Emperor.

However, when it comes down to fondness between the two generations, I pick the vintage every time. It just has to do with nostalgia I guess.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

I will always prefer Vintage, probably because I see it as a part of my history. I remember my main goal as a kid was to own all 77 figures, then 79, then 92, but you get the idea.

It also harkens back to a time when Star Wars was the unchallenged king of the world. Whereas nowadays, Star Wars figures are lucky to get half the aisle space of Power Rangers.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I love my vintage figs, and I have them all. But, I must agree with MC that the current line of figs is much much more detailed with accurate scale and accessories.

However, some of the vintage figs do stand up very well to the current line. For example, the Imperial Guard, original Klaatu, Squidhead, and by default, all those not yet made in the current line (dignitary, Amanaman, Cloud car pilot, quite few Ewoks)

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    The old Cloud City wing guards hold their own too. I've got Bespin escape Lando backed up by the black guy, the mexican guy, the asian guy, and the retard. And disco Lobot, too (sigh)
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."