Red Six can you see Red Five? Error in ANH?!

At about 1:46:54 in A New Hope, someone asks, "Red Six can you see Red Five?" Red Six was the designated number for Jek Porkins. At this point in the film Porkins had been blown away. So who is asking that and why didn't they know he was dead? After all, Porkins yells over the radio! So why, "Red Six do you see Red Five?" Red Six is DEAD!

B.
    TDV
    One way to out think people is to make them think you think they'll think what you are not really trying to get them to think what you think.

Re: Red Six can you see Red Five? Error in ANH?!

I've heard this one before and I think they explained it as being in the heat of battle it's tough to keep track of who's alive or dead and one of the controllers in the Temple didn't realize that Jek was dead.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Poor Editing
    YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH STORMTROOPERS

I marked it up as a heat of the battle error made by a combatant as Slicker said. It happens in real battle so how can it be due to "poor editing" and not seen as added realism? (yes I'm aware that this is a SciFi movie)
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Slicker, that makes sense. I will accept that answer. Any other theories or thoughts are welcome.

B.
    TDV
    One way to out think people is to make them think you think they'll think what you are not really trying to get them to think what you think.