Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

He has alot of his father in hm

...a line spewed forth by Beru. Owens response is I know.

Knowing this and seeing Owen refusing to let Luke go to the Academy(I think he is referencing the Imperial Academy), do you think Owen was making excuses for Luke not to go. After all, Imperial Academy, word would have it that a Skywalker had joined and then Vaders attention would have been drawn to it. AT this point there would be no helping Luke out by anyone. He basically would have been a sitting duck in the Emperors and Vaders hand.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Re: He has alot of his father in hm

I think Obi-wan would have stepped in and sent Luke on a different path before he ever went to the Imperial Academy.

How would Obi-Wan have stepped in? He was off on another part of Tatooine? I know he could have gathered from the force which way Luke was heading, but how?
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.

I think Ben kept tabs on Luke. For instance, I do not believe they met in A New Hope. I think they had met before. "Ben Kenobi? Boy am I glad to see you." I get the feeling they knew each other. Probably Ben would come by every so often to check up on Luke. Owen would probably try to get him to leave. "No you can't get him that lightsaber! Get out of here you weirdo!"

Also, I think Ben (and Yoda) were keeping "Force" tabs on Luke.

I'm sure that Ben would have picked up on Luke's plans to leave. People talk. Ben might have gone into Anchorhead or Mos Eisley for supplies and heard the news.

Also, Ben didn't live that far from the Lars farm. Luke got to the Jundland Wastes pretty quickly in his landspeeder.

Ben did keep tabs on him. But if Ben were to stop him, then the truth would have to be told about why he wouldnt let Luke go to the Academy. I think it was more Uncle Owen stopping him rather then Ben stepping in if something happened. Remember Luke said there are more than enough droids to help, I am not needed. But Owen popped another story out about Harvest and how much he needs him there. From what I can tell, Owen did this to him constantly.

About the landspeeder...HOw fast did it go and in a cut scene, time sure does fly.

"He can't stay here forever". "Most of his friends have gone, it means so much to him".

"I'll make it up to him next year"

"Luke's just not a farmer Owen, he has too much of his father in him!"

-- I think the first line implies Luke's friends like Biggs! And we all know Biggs was part of the rebellion. So, only two things could have happened, Either his friends were deserters of the Imperial Academy, which I doubt 'cause Luke says to Biggs, "Hey, I told you I'd make it some day" So, I think the Rebellion must of had their own School/academy! Although Luke never actually goes to it obviously, but only 'cause of the dire consequences that the rebels were faced with(ala DS) so they needed all able bodies! Now why they would put him in command of a squadron as say opposed to Biggs who's been there longer, makes no sense what so ever, but hey It's lucass' world...'Just keep swimming, just keep swimming!"
    [FONT=ComicSansMS]"What happens in Indy STAYS in Indy!".[/FONT]
    [FONT=ComicSansMS]"The only thing you have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to you".[/FONT]

I think Xir is correct, Luke wasn't planning on going to the Imperial Academy, I believe this is covered in EU.

Anyway, look at the Biggs thing, plus Luke's statement "It's not that I like the Empire, I HATE IT. It's just, there's nothing I can do about it right now."

Then old Obi-Wan "That's your uncle talking" refering to the part about not being able to do anything about it.

Luke wanted to join up with the Rebellion and there were certainly other Academies, possibly on Corellia or other Core worlds, many of whom were "sympathetic" to the rebellion.
    May the force be with you.

But didnt Bioggs go to the Imperial Academy and then performed mutiny and catch up to the Rebellion??

Yeah I think that's how the story goes. In the SW Film Trivia thread someone just had a question about that and I think it went that he jumped ship to try and locate the Rebellion to defect.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The 'Xir
    Now why they would put him in command of a squadron as say opposed to Biggs who's been there longer, makes no sense what so ever, but hey It's lucass' world...'Just keep swimming, just keep swimming!"
    I don't think it's just a "Lucas thing" here. Before the battle, Red Leader makes a statement about having seen/heard of Luke's father's abilities as a pilot, plus Biggs emphasizes that Luke is "the best Bush Pilot in the Outer Rim." That, plus the Skywalker name alone was why Luke was given command so quickly in ANH, and later made the leader of Rogue Squadron by ESB.

As for Owen making excuses to keep Luke out of the Academy, if you go by the radio drama, that was the Imperial Academy Luke was thinking about. I do find it interesting that Owen may have been making excuses to keep Luke away from the Empire - perhaps ROTS will clarify this in some way.