Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Computers are the worst, so are idiots

So, th eother day I was going to install a new ceiling fan in the bedroom. Simple enough eh? Not. I went to flip the breaker for the room, being sure to flip right one. Hmm, well, the one labeled BEDROOM actually shut off power to my computer in the dining room, and now I have to get it totally wiped clean because the power failure totally screwed it up, it wont even go into Windows. This sucks, I am sitting in the local colleges library just to do my daily check up. Retarded, I wont have mine back till Monday.

By the way, to turn off the power to the bedroom, I actually had to flip the one marked BASEMENT/KITCHEN. Nice huh?
    You'll be dead!

N. Lindstrom Photo
    Top Shelf Traders - tjovonovich, Val Da Car

Re: Computers are the worst, so are idiots

Did you have a surge potector? No matter, I'm suprised that a power failure would screw up your computer. I suffer through 2-3 power failures while my computers on each year and haven't had any issues yet. Sorry for your troubles.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

I've never had problems like that either.Must have really overloaded the circuts to wipe everything off your computer.

Might want to re-mark all those breakers ;-)
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!

I finally got my computer back, but I still have a problem. I can connect to the net, but after about 30 seconds all my pages state Page Unavailable, while still showing I am connected. Is this a problem with my computer or my provider?

Another example is that when I got it back I am able to sign up for MSN if I want. I decided to try it and at the actual "Sign Up" page it automatically dials your modem to send your subscription information in to MSN. This doesnt work either.

As I still dont have the net but am able to check my mail via my mobile, please e mail any usefull tips to n8_lindstrom@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance for any help, I am totally having SSG withdrawls!!
    You'll be dead!

N. Lindstrom Photo

I would check with your provider to see if they are having any known problems with their equipment. I was having issues about a year ago with my cable modem provider and it turned out that they were having problems with their equipment, I was having issues with the hardware from the street to my apartment as well as having a bad modem. As you can see I was hurting.

Start with them and go from there.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

I feel for ya Rebo! My computers been on the fritz for the past week also. Ended up having to replace my HD. I'm still having some problems, but it's at least stable enough that I've come back on.
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars

You might need a new modem if it keeps booting you and such. Try re-installing the drivers and see what happens.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I had to get a new modem for a similar problem Rebo.Still I'd check with your ISP to make sure first though before buying anything.

With the power surging here during the ice storm,I thought I was going to lose files not having a surge protector on this yet,but the force was with me
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!

kidhumanYou might need a new modem if it keeps booting you and such. Try re-installing the drivers and see what happens.

Didnt think of reinstalling. Can a modem partially work like that? I thought it was either it works or it doesnt.

InsaneJediGirlI had to get a new modem for a similar problem Rebo.Still I'd check with your ISP to make sure first though before buying anything.

Yeah I called Earthlink 4 times, and believe me, they dont know anything. All 4 times they told me to manually make a new connection, but guess what? That doesnt work!

I guess if KH's help doesnt work Ill have to bring it back to the shop, they didnt even have any ideas when I talked to them on the phone. Why can things just work?

On a lighter note, I finally got my truck finished, now I can sell the P.I.T.A and buy a new one
    You'll be dead!

N. Lindstrom Photo

Quote Originally Posted by kidhuman
    You might need a new modem if it keeps booting you and such. Try re-installing the drivers and see what happens.
    Dude I owe you one, it totally works!!
    You'll be dead!

N. Lindstrom Photo