Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pristine Cards - A thing of the past?

I looked at 35 ROTS Sneak Preview figures at the local Wally World today. Has anyone else looked closely at these?

1. Tape - The neatness of the tape application on the back and bottom of the cards varied from barely acceptable to abysmal.

2. "Sneak Preview" sticker - All 35 stickers had air bubbles under them.

3. Flash - A few had flash along the curved edge on the side of the bubble where it meets the back of the card. This is easily cured with a hobby knife, but why should we have to do it?

4. J-Hooks - These cards had literally only been on dsiplay for an hour when I looked at them. Three already had the J-hooks bent. The J-hook is a definite weak point in the design.

It appears that finding the new card style in truly excellent condition is going to be a real challenge.
    43 muscles to frown, 17 muscles to smile, but not one single muscle to sit here with a dumb look on my face. Now we're talking efficiency.

Re: Pristine Cards - A thing of the past?

I'd noticed the J-Hooks bending and although none of them had clear stress marks or spider webbing of the card they were all bent due to the figures hanging on the pegs. The figures center of gravity must be off to make it do that.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

I was afraid of this since the first time the RotS card images appeared on-line last summer. These sound like they're going to be similar to the 'Half moon' LotR cards from a few years back. It was always tough to find one without some stress wear to the hooks. Those also had tape (A nightmare).

I had such a good experience with the OTC line, most ended up on the pegs in great shape. This is disappointing. It really stinks being a Kepp on carder sometimes!

On a similar note, anyone notice how hard it is to find a CW cardback that's in decent shape. Is it just me or does it seem they're using recycled paper for their cardbacks?

Sy Snootles lip synchs

FOr MOC COllectors this is a nightmare. Our best option is e-tailers and case fresh pickings. I really dont care to much about the J-JHooks, because when I hang them by push pins it usually covers them up. I care about bubble shape alot, because thats what people look at.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Fluke Skywalker
    On a similar note, anyone notice how hard it is to find a CW cardback that's in decent shape. Is it just me or does it seem they're using recycled paper for their cardbacks?
    I noticed this about the CW figures too and the reason you can't find one that's MOC is that they have that sharp square corner on the bottom that no doubt always gets banged up. When I buy them they don't necessarily have to be MOMC so if they're banged up a little bit it's not that big of a deal.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

You're right about that sharp corner Slicker. Always dog-eared.

Well, I found the RotS preview wave today (At Target) and I can confirm what Bobby Fett reported. Most if not all of the 'Preview' stickers have bubbles under them. They do indeed have tape, but the ones I found were all neat (Thankfully). The cards are smaller and lighter than I thought, and all the J-hooks were in good shape. These stickers are going to be a headache. Soon it'll be bubbled up 'Wookie rage' we'll be fussing about.

I don't know if anyone has tried, but sizing these up they looked almost the same size as OTC and Saga. Do you think they'll fit into a Star case? I have a few extra ones here somewhere, so I'm gonna try one and see.

Sy Snootles lip synchs

I think someone posted it in another thread but these don't fit into a star case. I'll bet that by the time Midnight Madness rolls around though that we'll have a star case that fits these things. SW is no doubt a big part of the protective case business.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

They dont fit in star cases at all. Why put tape on tha back of the new line? Is it scotch tape or masking tape?
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.

It's clear tape that reminds me more of packing tape. It's about 1" wide and, at least on mine, it's bunched up and folded over and looks like crap on the back of the card. Thankfully it's just on the back of the card.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Sounds like the same thing they did to the Titanium series.