Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wait until clearance time

They always make a ton of figures to coincide with the movie releases, jack up the price, and then have tons of everything warming the pegs. Figures can eventually be picked up for about 2 dollars apiece.

Since we have witnessed this penomena twice already, is anybody saying to heck with the goldrush, waiting instead for the inevitable clearance sale (as I am)?

If Hasbro correctly gauges the demand, I'll be the one getting burned.
    Last edited by JON9000; 01-29-2005 at 06:13 PM.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

Re: Wait until clearance time

Since I'm a pretty uptight Keep on card guy, I always get my figures as soon as possible. Otherwise when you get them they've spent time on the floor, in the hands of dozens of kids whose parents wouldn't buy them that figure and they have clearance stickers on them. It's the best idea if you plant to buy them and open them (I buy a second to open sometimes). I can still get many AotC figures around here, but unfourtunatly they are all at TRU and K-Mart and they rarely discount their SW stuff. For openers though, patience is a virtue!

Sy Snootles lip synchs

Waiting for the clearance sales will actually hurt you more than help you. If everyone waited for clearance sales, the line would bomb at retail. Which would hurt the Star Wars/Hasbro figure line. Which could lead to a lot of good figures never seeing the light of day due to poor sales. That's one of the reasons that stores won't support large vehicles anymore. They don't want to take the risk on something that won't sell, and will have to end up being clearanced out. Many an action figure line has died due to poor sales. I can understand waiting for clearance sales if you're an army builder. But if you enjoy the line, back it with your dollars. In the end, the people that win are us. The people who buy the figures and want more.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Yep, I'm thinking of modifying my purchases this time around. Maybe just concentrate on the army builders first, then villains, droids, and aliens. The main characters will still be gathering dust on pegs two years from now. I've been to stores that never carried OTC because of the ton of initial AOTC figures still clogging their pegs. And to think I went out and bought all those figs the day of release and yet they are still available almost three years later. Really boils my potato.

Quote Originally Posted by JarJarBinks
    Waiting for the clearance sales will actually hurt you more than help you. If everyone waited for clearance sales, the line would bomb at retail. Which would hurt the Star Wars/Hasbro figure line. Which could lead to a lot of good figures never seeing the light of day due to poor sales. That's one of the reasons that stores won't support large vehicles anymore. They don't want to take the risk on something that won't sell, and will have to end up being clearanced out. Many an action figure line has died due to poor sales. I can understand waiting for clearance sales if you're an army builder. But if you enjoy the line, back it with your dollars. In the end, the people that win are us. The people who buy the figures and want more.
    I see your point, but it also says to Hasbro, "$7 is an acceptable price for basic action figures." Peg me as the evil free rider.

Actually, I think vehicles have mostly thrived under the exclusives system, so long as they aren't total rehashes. The B-wing was pretty pricey, and I bought 2.

besides, I do not think the collector is the target market of the first few waves of prequel figures.
    Last edited by JON9000; 01-29-2005 at 07:36 PM.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

IMO if you want to do anything boycott TRU and there jacked up prices. If you go to WalMart as much as some of them have sucked, you aren't going to be paying as much as far as I know anyways....Anyways, I couldn't wait until clearance because that's what I've done for the first two new movies.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

No way will I wait until clearance for the ROTS figures. I'd rather buy them for $5.88 than wait a long time and risk not getting them to pay $2 or so less. I might wait on the new gunship though, unless it starts out at like $20.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

I normally get the figures I want first, then get the rest. After a few weeks you normally know what is going ot warm the pegs. Around here Ihave 7 Wal-Marts with 40 minutes of each other so I have plenty o pickings.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Lets just hope that retailers didn't go psycho with over-ordering again. I swear the corporate stores see massive dollar signs and order way too much every time. There's nothing wrong with ordering smaller ammounts more often.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I have never intentionaly waited for a clearance to buy anything. Usually all the cool stuff is gone by then. I did pretty well with the EP2 figures though. I stopped collecting around then and past on all of the toys. I walked into a KB back then, saw a 3PO and then looked at the price $7.99, yeah right. I then got most of then for about .98 a bit later.

I will probably go to MMM, just because this is the end and I really did have a good time with many SSG members at my local TRU.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)