Do you know any handicapped people who use the aid of a companion dog ?

I bought a box of Milkbones today and noticed that on the back of the carton is a photo of a young boy in a wheelchair with his aid dog at his side.

I think it is awesome how well these dogs can be trained and how useful they seem to be.

Of course many blind people utilize guide dogs but other people do, too. When I was in college there was a lady in a wheelchair, middle-aged perhaps, who attended classes with her dog. I never talked to her because I had no classes with her, just I saw her around campus often and that dog was always with her and seemed to fit in perfectly with large crowds of people.

Re: Do you know any handicapped people who use the aid of a companion dog ?

I see these dogs quite often. It's amazing how well trained they are and that they don't bark at anything. I've also seen that they're training miniature horses to be guide dog....er horses.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar
    When I was in college there was a lady in a wheelchair, middle-aged perhaps, who attended classes with her dog. I never talked to her because I had no classes with her, just I saw her around campus often and that dog was always with her and seemed to fit in perfectly with large crowds of people.
    Same boat as you Caesar. There is blind asian girl with dog I sometimes see in the english building on the college campus coming or going to class. Don't know her personally though.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

I saw alot of people that used dogs for aid in NYC. Havent seen it much after moving to Va. I always admired people who train these dogs and the dogs themselves. I believe I was talking to Jargo once o MSN and think he mentioned he did something along these lines with the dogs, I could be wrong though.

So Cae...buying milkbones...hungry?
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

We have a border collie that is being trained as a medical alert dog for my wife. Whisper (the dog) is pretty amazing.
    43 muscles to frown, 17 muscles to smile, but not one single muscle to sit here with a dumb look on my face. Now we're talking efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar
    I bought a box of Milkbones today ...
    So....you have a dog...or were you just hungry?

Friend of mine is legally blind (though she can still see enough to be able to be on AIM and such) and got a companion dog named "Dolly." From the stories she's told Dolly is pretty sweet and has a very interesting personality and habits, ie: being able to put on sweaters by crawling into'em.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Things like this is the reason why dogs will always be better than cats.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!