Hybrid View

So help me, I'm starting to actually LIKE some country music in my old age!

Not all of it, of course. 99% of what's called country still sucks.

But for the past week or so, I've been listening almost exclusively to Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, and Hank Williams Sr. Man, I don't care what label you want to slap on 'em, those dudes can tell a story! And Willie has to be the most underrated guitarist in history.

The good stuff (read: the stuff that doesn't get played on "country" stations) isn't really all that distinguishable from great blues or folk music.

I don't believe there's been any line in music history as bluntly powerful as Johnny's "I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die." Unless maybe it's Johnny's "If I hadn't-a shot poor Delia, I'd-a had her for my wife."

Seriously, if you're going to bash country, pick up (at least) American Recordings by Johnny Cash. One of the best albums ever!
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Re: So help me, I'm starting to actually LIKE some country music in my old age!

I went through a similar experience. Except it was with Merle Haggard. There was a little Hank Sr. and some Johnny Horton and Statler Brothers and some Elvis...

I blame those Classic Country cd's. I was going through them recently and rediscovering my favorites.

Too bad most everyone else does not know the good country, just the bad Toby Keith stuff. So when I hear someone bash country I think of only how ignorant they are. There's more to country than that Shania Twain garbage.

"I turned 21 in prison doing life without parole"
    Back and more bearded than ever before

You're lucky El Chuxter...I thought you meant modern country music.
    Johnny Cash was the man.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Not all new stuff is bad. Well the stuff that t hey play on the radio is. I'd try checking out Robbie Fulks. http://www.robbiefulks.com

Plus there are a lot of alt.country bands that are pretty good. Jayhawks, Wilco, Lucinda Williams, etc.

Heck J. Cash was the man. Aint nothing wrong with it. I listen to Garth Brooks once and awhile.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

The only way I listen to country is if the artist is a hot babe. So I'm superficial...sue me.