Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best EU books, part deux

Here's another Old Forums thread that should continue here:

http://209.197.112.151/thread.html?d...TID=6&PID=4979

EU = Expanded Universe, i.e. the novels/comics/etc. after/before the films.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Shadows of the empire and Tales of the Jedi are my winners, i also liked the Enemy of the empire series.
    As always...........L

Gotta stick with the Original Thrawn trilogy.

I was moving my SW reference books, and spent 30 minutes reading The Illustrated Star Wars Universe. That book is so awesome, and lays a lot of groundwork for the planets in the EU (and sorta the films, since some of it the written parts are based on Ralph McQuarrie's designs and ideas which were before the films, Joe Johnston's too).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

...except for SOTE...and some of the Tales from books.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Here's another Old Forums thread that should continue here:

http://209.197.112.151/thread.html?d...TID=6&PID=4979
    I can't get the link to work.

I liked the Han Solo Trilogy of books when I was a kid...those were cool.

I read the Thrawn Trilogy when it came out but I really fizzled out on that set by the third book. Overall, I have to say the Zahn Trilogy is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    I can't get the link to work.
    Sadly, none of the links to the Old Forums live. It's like that old, weird Christopher Reeve movie where he gets stuck behind a heavy door in a sewer or something and pounds on it, with no luck.

I can't believe that I actually included a footnote so people would know what EU means...
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Sadly, none of the links to the Old Forums live.
    I remember during the changeover that there was talk of archiving some of the old forums...I don't know of anyone who has such an archive to share ?

At the top of my list is the Thrawn Trilogy. I don't see how anyone can describe it as overrated. As much praise as I heap on those books I still don't feel I'm properly explaining how great they are.

I'm surprised no one here has mentioned the X-wing novels by Stackpole. Second to Zahn, he's the man.

Nothing else has been able to rise to the level of the above works.

I'm consistently surprised that SotE is so highly favored. I cite it as the least Star Wars of any of the EU novels I've ever read. While it had cool things like the Outrider and Guri, it also had less than cool things like that poor-man's Han Solo come red headed stepchild Dash Rendar. I like it for the video game and for the idea of Black Sun, but otherwise, some green dude wasn't bringing apples to Palpatine in an attempt to be the teacher's pet in my view of Star Wars. Plus, the line "many Bothans died" makes me think of more than--what was it--five or six? There were more than five or six Rebel troops dropped on Tantive IV in just the first hallway in Episode IV.
    Member 104 of the SWC forums . . . but it's good to be back.

Good traders: DarkJedi5, jediguy, Jedi_Master_Guyute, jedimastergeorge06