Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post I am experiencing a polarization in the packaging of DVD boxsets.

Last week I bought the rather narrow Karate Kid Collection on DVD, a set containing 4 movies in those newer slimpack cases (what's the official term on those, anyway?). It's the same as my recent Seinfeld sets and also the Friday the 13th Paramount collection.

Today I bought Season 1 of HBO's Deadwood and the box it comes in has got to be at least 1 and a half times the width of the newest Star Wars Novel.
    Same goes for the recent Carnivale Season 1 that I recently purchased. Not so much with The Wire but that's still a thicker set.

Not long ago, boxsets to be seemed to be (on average) the size of X amount of regular keepcases. Examples from my collection: Alien Saga (first release), Nightmare on Elm Street (despite the use of those horrible snapper cases), Rambo Trilogy, etc. And if they weren't in that format, they were still moderately sized fold out sets like The Simpsons, The Sopranos, etc.

But now I see things going in opposite directions. On one hand I have to deal with these slim packs but on the other hand I have fold out sets larger than books like Deadwood. HBO used to put 3 or 4 episodes on each disc for a 4 disc set, now they are doing 2 (sometimes 3) episodes per disc and making 6 disc sets.

How do I feel about this ? I'm torn.

On one hand, the slim packs have grown on me because
    a) at least they aren't snappers or fold outs, so they are more durable
    b) they save space on the shelf

But on the other hand, these newer THICK sets look cool on the shelf, despite their fragile and non-replaceable package design.

I guess that ideally I would just choose 100% uniformity in only Amaray style keepcase packaging but I know that is impossible and frankly, too late.

What do you think ? I know there are others like me, those who are very particular about how their sets look on a shelf as well as how delicate they are.

Re: I am experiencing a polarization in the packaging of DVD boxsets.

I prefer the look of the regular size plastic snapcases, but I like the slimpacks for larger sets, like tv shows, especially when you buy one that has multiple volumes, like The Simpsons, Law and Order, ect..
    Even with something relatively small like Family Guy - imagine how much shelf space that would take up if they were standard size cases.

The only case I both love and hate is Band of Brothers. It comes in a great looking metal tin, but that tin is pretty big and barely fits in the shelf with the rest of my DVDs. And there aren't even individual cases for each disc inside - there is a cardboard fold out, which is glued to the bottom of the tin. Right now, I'm working on making individual cases (maybe slimpacks) for them, so they look better on the shelf.

They could have solved all these problems from the beginning if they just used cd jewel cases.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Nicely designed boxsets are great, even with their flaws of durability. It breaks up the motony.

Digipacks make me angry. The glue likes to never hold the plastic dvd holders. I also hate having to unfold 8 feet of material to get at one disc. Slimpacks make getting the disc easier where I do not need 8 feet of empty floor space.

If I feel it becomes a problem, I usually just remove the disc and have it in a jewel case. I had to do it with my The Evil Dead book of the dead (seriously, who keeps their dvd in that plastic bag thing anyway?) and Evil Dead 2 limited tin.

I am all against this idea of uniform, though.
    Last edited by James Boba Fettfield; 02-08-2005 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Removed errors made by not reviewing work before submitting. I recommend this user be banned.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

You know what makes me angry about DVD packaging now? Warner Bros. and Dreamworks now only manufacture DVDs with a new form of snapcases. They look like ordinary DVD cases, but on the side, there are two little latches that you first must open in order to open the case. For examples of this, just look at the DVDs of "Shrek 2" and "Anchorman". It is extremely annoying!
    [FONT=Arial Black]"I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERF***ER!!!!!"[/FONT]
    [FONT=Impact]Awesome Traders: JON9000, darkagent[/FONT]

Those extra locks really tick me off! Especially when you forget or don't notice them. You almost rip the darn case in half!
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Those locks don't bother me one bit - I tear them off the moment I unwrap the product.

Jaymz, what about Day of the Dead ? I love that packaging but I don't like the idea of pulling on that velcro all the time. It won't be an issue for too many future buyers because the keepcase editions are now all over the place.

Believe me, when it comes to this goofy and delicate (though admittedly cool) packaging, I USED TO store the contents of the box sets in separate jewel cases but after awhile it got to be so common, so frequent, that I then had to worry about where the hell I was going with all those jewel cases.

Day I do not like too much. Especially the fact that the damn book thing just sits in there loose. What is that about?

I never had issue with pulling the velcro Bub head. I do not like the way the cardboard edges on the bottom of the package rub the shelf I keep it on. So now I have a special way I pull Day off the shelf.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

I prefer the standard plastic, snap cases for single or 2-disc sets. But the slim, narrow cases work better for boxed sets (like The Godfather and Matrix Trilogys).

The cardboard slipcovers for plastic DVDs seem to be popular now, they come on all Disney movies as well as like Dodgeball and Ray to name a few. But I think they're fine.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

Quote Originally Posted by Jayspawn
    I prefer the standard plastic, snap cases for single or 2-disc sets. But the slim, narrow cases work better for boxed sets (like The Godfather and Matrix Trilogys).
    Yeah, that's pretty much how I look at it too. The LOTR EE sets I think are just great looking and do a good job making my collection look classy.

I totally hate the newer 2-snap cases. What are they trying to do, childprood them? Plus, every movie I've bought with that type of case does not come with the little booklet. What's up with that? I love those little booklets. How am I to know what the chapter names are without putting the disc in the drive? Hell, I might as well save some shelf space, throw away the whole case and keep the disc in a wallet.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

Yes, they are childproofing them. If you had a 2 year old that brings you the DVD out of it's case and covered with fingerprints you'd appreciate it. I mean, how difficult is it to open the 2 tabs? I wish all the Disney movies would be like that, because I know my kid is going to ruin them and then the movie will be in the "vault" for 10 years so I'll have to resort to a $50 eBay copy. I'd just put them on a high shelf, but then my 5 year old (who can handle them correctly) would not be able to get them. Plus the tabs can be torn off if you want, and it's like a regular DVD case.

But I do like many of the box sets and the different layouts. As long as the heep the height the same to fit on my bookself, I'm cool with the rest of it.

=MATT=
    * General Disclaimer- I can't spell or type- Deal with it.