Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking Yoda: Dark Ron deVoo

Finally, a good, no - GREAT - Star Wars book! I won't spoiler-ize in case people still haven't read/finished this one yet, but I cannot recall the last time a SW novel best captured a character, or faithfully made them seem more realistic. Yoda is awesome in this novel, Dooku is believable, and the other chars provide sympathy and interest. And, as many books are doing in this gotta-wait-until-ROTS-comes-out-so-we-can't-really-make-any-significant-plotlines, it might have effects to be felt later. I found myself thinking "ah... I can see where this might lead" at times, both in the upcoming film and potential future EU stories.

Rating? I give it a 9.1 out of 10.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Re: Yoda: Dark Ron deVoo

Yes! Yes!! Great book! I was gonna start the thread for this book but I thought I would wait. Anyways.. For not having written in the SW universe (As far as I know??) I think he did a great job. I loved the comedy with Yoda and I thought that he was very believeable. He also gave a lot of insight towards the Jedi Temple that was very good. My only problem was with the "Ron deVoo" itself but I wont say why because of spoliers. Im glad I read this after reading Jedi Trial. Did anyone read Hard Contact?(Or did I miss that thread??) And is the Cestus Deception any good? Im like 50 pages in and im kinda eh. Ill still read it though.
    hurray for birthdays!

http://www.myspace.com/MattGush

I agree with what you guys said about Yoda and Dooku. I even thought Assajj was written well. I thought the plotline was fairly predictable, seeing as its in the CW and ROTS is coming soon, but the characterization and depth given to the characters kept it interesting. Ani was only in it a short while, but a good job was done there also showing his carelessness and lack of forethought.

Does Dooku have any idea of how things will end for him? Why did he become Sith? The way he's been portrayed it doesn't seem like he's power-crazy (like Sidious). Does Sidious know that Dooku will not try to supplant him? Is that also why Ani / DV was chosen?
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars

I guess we'll have to wait and see..
    hurray for birthdays!

http://www.myspace.com/MattGush

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

So far I've advanced very interested in this book.

There's a lot of cool flashbacks to Dooku's early training in the Jedi Temple, and his own, present day indoctrination of Assaj Ventress in the ways of the Sith.

It is really well-written. I just learned of the old lady who likes body parts who comes in the back door with the fox that licks blood stains off the floor.
    Creepy.

Vjun is a great setting. Darth Vader had a castle there in expanded universe lore - explored in Dark Horse Comics' Dark Empire series, and Kevin J. Anderson's Jedi Academy Trilogy as well I believe. (Wasn't that where Vader kept a medical stasis coffin like thing he could sleep in with his armor off and inside Luke found a picture of himself that his father was keeping - as like hope that his son would join him?)

Interesting that Darth Tyrannus adapted Vjun for a fortress before Darth Vader did. I'm still curious if this is "like father, like son stuff" if a relationship between Anakin and Dooku is still a big carefully guarded secret that people at LF aren't leaking until the movie premiers.

Anyway, I've barely started Dark Rendezvous, but so far, this is an excellent read!

Re: Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho
    Interesting that Darth Tyrannus adapted Vjun for a fortress before Darth Vader did. I'm still curious if this is "like father, like son stuff" if a relationship between Anakin and Dooku is still a big carefully guarded secret that people at LF aren't leaking until the movie premiers.

Anyway, I've barely started Dark Rendezvous, but so far, this is an excellent read!
    You are right about it being an excellent book. In the quote above, I hope that is speculation and not a spoiler.

I have more comments, but they are better suited to the other thread ou started.
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars

Re: Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

Yes, as far as Dooku being Anakin's dad? That's totally speculation on my part and everyone in the world is telling me I'm wrong - so then I think I have to be right. However, that is the way I'd write the story if I were Lucas: have Anakin kill his dad before he knew the truth, and then hold that against the Jedi (that they didn't tell him) as well as all the rest of the stuff that's been building up inside of him.

But yeah, Dark Rendezvous is a great book getting overshadowed by James Luceno's Labrynth of Evil because it's the new hot hardback that sets up Episode Three. However, I hope folks won't miss Yoda's book. It is so good thus far!

I didn't know this one was being released until I saw the cover in a bookstore at Christmas. I've bought it but haven't cracked it yet.

There's been some cute comedy with Yoda, sort of reminiscient of E.T.

There's been a lot more detail into the mind of Asajj Ventress and for that I'm thankful.

The new Jedi the author introduces get to be very cool. I also like the insight into Temple Training, and how the Clone Wars has changed it some, not to mention the author's great knowledge of the Lost Jedi and those that later refused to return and serve as Generals. References are accurate down to Dark Horse Comics' characters.

One error that I seem to have found (if I'm not mistaken) is that in their small scenes, (the book focuses on Yoda) Anakin is no longer Obi-Wan's padawan, but his partner in the CW, a full-fledged Jedi Knight of his own.

So far, I'm almost through with this book and I'm very glad I'm reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho
    There's been some cute comedy with Yoda, sort of reminiscient of E.T.

There's been a lot more detail into the mind of Asajj Ventress and for that I'm thankful.

One error that I seem to have found (if I'm not mistaken) is that in their small scenes, (the book focuses on Yoda) Anakin is no longer Obi-Wan's padawan, but his partner in the CW, a full-fledged Jedi Knight of his own.

So far, I'm almost through with this book and I'm very glad I'm reading it.
    I hadn't considered the ET angle; it fits!

I always like the internal details that authors provide into the minds and motivations of characters (especially those who haven't made appearances in the films).

No, Anakin is a Jedi Knight by the time in Y: DR (it occurs in/after the awful Jedi Trial novel).

I'm glad you're glad!
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(