Weekly Review: Han Solo

Ok, I've been slacking off here (really I just been ungodly busy). Han Solo is the figure of the week and the topic of our discussion. Han was first releast on 12 back card and can be found on most major types of card backs, I'll double check later but I believe Han wasn't available on POTF card. Han is highly notable because of his head. The first version had a head just a little to small for the body. But before the ESB line started (any one have a firmer date?) Kenner made a new head, this one just a little to big. The accessory was typically a bluish black blaster.

This is one of those figures I've got real mixed feeling about. I never knew of the head change as a kid (only learned about it 10 years ago). So I knew of was the big head version. I think the big head is terrible. I really can't say this about other figure, but I think/thought the big head version is/was so ugly I didn't want it as an adult/kid. The nose and the hair are both off in my opinion. The small head might be just a bit too small, but no where near as bad as the big head is. The same crack heads who did the Cantina Aliens must have reworked the head. Kenner just should have left well enough a lone. Ok the body. Again (and again and again) the left hand is useless and at an odd angle (who's he waving to?). The right arm's angle bothers my little, just a little too perposed. The shirt and vest are well done and I like the red stripes on each leg. Its nice detail Kenner could have easily skipped.

Han Solo is not a figure I had as kid, nor one that I wanted. Now I'm not big on collecting variations, but sometimes I do pick up a specific variation. Han is one of those cases. I picked up a small head version of Han off eBay in late '99. I thought it might be hard to find, but I guess not.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Re: Weekly Review: Han Solo

I had never heard of a "small head" Han while I was playing with the figures; it was only until SW became a collectors' hobby that such a term came into my awareness. I was always a Han fan, so even if the figure had flaws, it was still Han Solo. The vest, stripe, holster, shirt were close to the movie outfit. I recall drawing on my figure's arms to make him a Bespin version, so I had to get another one to replace my carnage (traded some GI Joe stuff for one).
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

I always liked the Han even though I only had one for a little while. I either lost it or someone stole it.

Never knew of the small head and only had a large head.

I agree the head sculpt was downright ugly. Made him a total blockhead.
    Small head han looks much better despite the smaller size.

The arm was cool because it was different and, to me, more lifelike.

Detail on the rest of the figure is pretty good. Nice little details on the vest and pants. I would have loved if you could put the blaster in the holster like the Han Hoth had. Why they didn't continue that throughout all Han figures is a mystery to me. It was such a nice feature.

Han SOlo...yeah....he flew the Falcon. Han was a great figure. I remember sitting him and Cheiw in the cockpit of the Falcon(remember they would fit in the Falcon???) and flying it all over my house. I would say jump to light speed and run around the house with it. Han was a great figure. I too, never knew about the variation in head size until I was like 17 and someone told me they had a small head Han. I really fdidnt care then about it, because I had my Han Solo. I had two of them. Think I still do. My first one started going bald after about 7 years so I bought a new one. It was like he used just for men.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I'm a fan of vintage Han because, well, he's Han! Han and Chewie were always going out and rescuing Luke and Leia when the chips were down. I even thought his blaster was always the coolest weapon, too. That was a problem I had with Bespin Han- he didn't have a weapon that looked like that. His head sculpt wasn't correct, but I never really thought about it. As of now, I don't have an original Han, but I am currently looking...
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

I recently picked up the Small head version on eBay. I can't remember which one I had as a kid (Most of my ANH figures were passed on to me by my brother, who had grown out of toys by the time ESB came out. I was 6 and ready to go!) When I got into collecting about 5-6years ago, I was amazed to learn about Luke with different colored hair and Han with small and large heads.

I agree that the Large head version looks bad. Like a Jack-o-lantern pearched on his neck. I still plan to get that one too, but after I have completed the rest of my vintage collection. All and all a pretty neat figure. No plastic capes or hands sporting mysteriously appearing Lightsabers. Just a gun and painted plastic the way it should be.

Sy Snootles lip synchs

I liked the "Richard Gere" (small head) version better than the "Penny Marshall in drag" (large head) version.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

I remember getting my first Han Solo figure in my Christmas stocking in 1978, along with Princess Leia (a little forethought by my folks? Who knows....). I was very happy with the figure until my brother beheaded him with my dad's orange gripped pliars. Yes I remember this instance, which occurred nearly 25 years ago!!! Our replacement was the large headed version, which repulsed me on first sight. I got used to him though, and he was a good Han. My current Han is a small headed version of which I'm quite proud. There are no real flaws with this figure, the bent arm is fine with me. He holds his blaster well and the detail of the costume is good enough. He even fits in the Falcon cockpit, a nice departure from what we experience today. I'll rate vintage Han with small head 8/10, with large head 6/10.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008