Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: N.h.l. - R.i.p.

Re: N.h.l. - R.i.p.

LOVE the shootouts! Ties are useless.

Quote Originally Posted by kh
    To me the one rule that should change is if the Goalie comes out of the crease to play the puck, he needs to get nailed.
    Could not agree more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue II
    Did you ever see Anaheim's Giguerre without his pads on? Noticed how his stats dropped off the year after they lost the Cup? Because that offseason, they made goalie pads smaller.
    I call it a flash in the pan.
    In the US this afternoon, ESPN News switched over to TSN for the draft coverage. It was nice to see someone besides Darren Pang, Barry Melrose, and Bill Clement covering hockey.
    Well, it does take a while to thaw 'em out. They've been in the back of ESPN's freezer for over year now.
    Quote Originally Posted by jjreason
    ***** Division (to honour someone I can't name who's helped bring hockey to the southeastern US - though it seems to be barely hanging on in these markets).
    Wouldn't that one be Gretzky? Wasn't that his main reason for helping Pheonix out - to bring hockey to places where hockey doesn't belong?
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

If I were commisioner, I'd get rid of the Coyotes and Hurricanes and bring back the Jets and Whalers. And those Florida teams better watch it or one of them are movin' up north to Quebec. I'd also force the Anaheim franchise to change its name to remove any connectioin to those horrible movies.

Ok, sorry, I had to vent. I've been holding that in for the past few years since the NHL started migrating south.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy
    Wouldn't that one be Gretzky? Wasn't that his main reason for helping Pheonix out - to bring hockey to places where hockey doesn't belong?
    Yes. But that's why I named a division for him in the Campbell (Western) Conference. I think it would be a little confusing to have Gretzky Divisions in both conferences.

I was imagining someone more like Phil Esposito, who's been a force in moving hockey forward in Tampa. I guess I'll go with Esposito for my choice, he was a leading scorer for years and years, is a hall of famer, played so proudly on the national team for years - and has a brother with the same last name who is also a hall of famer. Great hockey name.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

I totally agree with you Rogue II. If your state doesn't get cold enough to have ice form naturally then you shouldn't have hockey. Simple as that.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Esposito would be good. How about Jacques Plante, who changed goaltending to what it is today? I'd like to throw Gordie Howe's name in the mix, but I don't know how to justify it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy
    Well, it does take a while to thaw 'em out. They've been in the back of ESPN's freezer for over year now.
    No, they came out a couple monthes ago when they were gonna settle. Now they're in about the middle of the freezer, somewhere between Steven A. Smith and Dick Vitale.

If I were commisioner, I'd get rid of the Coyotes and Hurricanes and bring back the Jets and Whalers.
    Hell yes bring back the Whale! That way I could finally get a jersey.

As far as naming a division after someone after someone, I say Cam Neely. Why? Because Cam Neely is awesome, that's why!
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

A lot has happened with the sport within the last few weeks. The CBA has been approved by both players and owners, the monstrous salaries that players were making have been drastically cut, changes have been made to try to improve the game, and a draft will be imminent with a superstar likely heading to Pittsburgh.

Let me say a few things about the changes:

1) Bob Goodenow, head of the player's union should be tarred and feathered by the players--not that I ever supported them, but because he passed up better deals during the lockout and now the salary cap which he vowed never to accept, is in place with a dramatic rollback in salary. We could have had a shortened season with a Cup awarded, but he was intent to sit out the whole season no matter what.

2) The rule changes such as shootouts and moving of the nets and elimination of the red line are all designed to increase excitement in the game and scoring. I simply believe that many of these changes are unecessary and that further cutting down on goaltender equipment size or enlarging the net would have simply negated these changes.

3) The NHL needs to worry about regions as oppose to expanding the game nationwide. Who cares about hockey in the South? I think Atlanta draws more opponents fans than they do home fans. These franchises are draining the talent pool and should not be exisiting. TV ratings for the NHL have never been high and to try to get people to watch year after year is difficult--especially with so much stuff on TV now. Just ignore the ratings and accept that as long as fans come to the game and interest in the 30 cities that have hockey teams is strong, than that's okay and don't alientate your core fans with these constant rule changes.

4) The fact that every team has a chance to get the number one pick sucks. Bettman said he was "compromising versus the teams that felt that every team should have an equal shot (the winners of the past year) and those who felt that only the nonplayoff teams should have a shot (the losers of the past year)." I think it sucks for teams like Florida, who haven't made the playoffs in years, to get the 29th pick, while teams like Tampa who won the Cup, could have gotten the 1st pick. If I am not mistaken, Montreal got three number one overall picks in the 1970's, despite the fact that they were consistent Cup winners--this only helped fortify their dynasty. I think it sucks and the old way was fine. BTW--it was kind of fishy to me that the team in dire straights, with the greatest need for the pick to save their teetering franchise, got the pick.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner
    2) The rule changes such as shootouts and moving of the nets and elimination of the red line are all designed to increase excitement in the game and scoring. I simply believe that many of these changes are unecessary and that further cutting down on goaltender equipment size or enlarging the net would have simply negated these changes.
    Rule changes needed to be made. They have been discussed for years now, but never decided on.
    As it was, the game had no flow. It was all clutch and grab and dive.
    The NHL decided that the refs should start calling these penalties, which they did...when they felt like it.

Also I think the NHL would have many more fans if the game wasn't so "hard to understand," which seems to be the biggest complaint why people don't watch it.
    For a while, ESPN would occasionally show a game and they'd explain a lot of rules so people would have a better understanding of the game. They were well done and weren't distracting at all to those that already know the game. Heck, I even learned a few things and I've been watching for years now. I think it'd be a smart idea to do these again.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I don't know if anyone watches the World Series of Poker but whenever they announcers say a poker phrase a little box comes up in the corner explaining what he said means in the game of poker. As Rocketboy said some of the rules are confusing to non hockey fans and if they took a cue from WSP than if would help out alot.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Yeah, they could use replays to show offside vs not, icing vs not, etc during breaks in the game (but only on American broadcasts as us Canadians are born with inate knowledge of the rules, and would find these lessons insulting :P ). It's like many other games though, get the (object) in the opposing team's goal. Not that complex. People just don't like what they don't know, and I don't really think there's any need to force feed Dixielanders hockey. Just make the existing fans happy, they'll spread the word.

The rule changes are fine by me. Something had to tried, and they're willing to do it after this long break. I'll be watching with baited breath to see how the game looks in the new format.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008