Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: N.h.l. - R.i.p.

Re: N.h.l. - R.i.p.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue II
    If I were commisioner, I'd get rid of the Coyotes and Hurricanes and bring back the Jets and Whalers. And those Florida teams better watch it or one of them are movin' up north to Quebec. I'd also force the Anaheim franchise to change its name to remove any connectioin to those horrible movies.

Ok, sorry, I had to vent. I've been holding that in for the past few years since the NHL started migrating south.
    Hey, there has been alot of support for the Hurricanes here in NC. I go to alot of the games myself, and many people here were upset that the season was canceled. We really enjoy having a team here, no doubt about that. Fan support is not even a question.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

Don't take this personally Jango, but weren't you guys drawing less than 10,000 fans per game? I could be way out in left field, but I thought I recalled numbers in and around that 6000 mark for Hurricanes home games being the rule as opposed to the exception. It doesn't matter if the tickets are sold and the people don't show up - but are they selling the tickets?
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

Carolina Hurricanes 1999-00 41 508,424 12,401
    Carolina Hurricanes 2000-01 41 547,584 13,356
    Carolina Hurricanes 2001-02 41 635,868 15,509
    Carolina Hurricanes 2002-03 41 642,973 15,682
    Carolina Hurricanes 2003-04 41 495,544 12,086
    Carolina Hurricanes 2004-05 SEASON CANCELLED

Here is what I could find. The very last # on the right is the average attendance figure, and the # beside that (next to last) is the total.

here is the link if any questions about the numbers
    http://www.kenn.com/sports/hockey/nh...ttendance.html
    Last edited by JetsAndHeels; 07-27-2005 at 11:11 PM.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester

Well, then there is Washington, who can't even sell out play-off games. Yes, there are some die hard Cap's fans, but often, there are just as many fans for the visiting team. My friend from Philly told me that there is a company in there who offers bus trips from Philly to DC for the games. Aparently, the price for those trips are cheaper than some of the Flyers' home games.

I saw a game in Denver during the first Avalanche season. There were just as many Sabres fans there as there were Av's fans. I assume that has changed since then. By the way, it was a classic goaltending duel between Hasek and Roy and ended in a 0-0 tie. Of course, the Avs went on to win the Cup that year.

Just found this website:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2004

Carolina had the second lowest average attendance.
    Last edited by Rogue II; 07-27-2005 at 11:29 PM.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue II
    Well, then there is Washington, who can't even sell out play-off games. Yes, there are some die hard Cap's fans, but often, there are just as many fans for the visiting team. My friend from Philly told me that there is a company in there who offers bus trips from Philly to DC for the games. Aparently, the price for those trips are cheaper than some of the Flyers' home games.
    There were a few times I considered doing something like that for a Wings game. Maybe Columbus or Chicago or somewhere realtively close. Wings tickets were damn near impossible to get for a while (they were still pretty tough to get during the last season).
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I believe that some of the rule changes were necessary (i.e. the goaltender equipment). I am not a hockey purist who doesn't believe that the game is fine as it is--I do know the lack of scoring and constant "chess-match" type games have put off fans, and this needs to be addressed. However, a shoot-out is unnecessary in my opinion. It favors teams that actually have talent as opposed to many smaller payroll teams that rely on muckers and grinders to get the job done. Yeah, it is exciting to watch but I think the 4 on 4 hockey in overtime was good enough as it did decrease the number of games that ended in a tie.

RogueII, I remember watching that game on tv--Avs v.s. Sabres 0-0 in late 96'. I think Colorado does an excellent job of supporting their team and is one of the few teams that was consistently supportive of a franchise that had relocated from another city.

Caps fans, you kinda feel sorry for from their lack of playoff success.

Atlanta, you don't because they are a city made up of many relocated people who tend to support their teams only when their native team comes to town (i.e. look at the Hawks attendance as well).

Tampa was a floundering franchise up until they won the Cup. They got lucky.

Florida was initially crazed about their team but they have lost steam just as their team does as well. Ditto for Phoenix.

Bettman needs to absolve two of these teams (throw in Anaheim too).
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

Those poor Caps haven't been the same since Don Beaupre left.

I, too, think contraction is the real answer the the NHL's woes. Phoenix, Atlanta, Nashville, Carolina (sorry, JF96 ), Florida, and Tampa Bay need to be the first ones axed.

Many would argue that you can't contract the champs. Guess what? Rumor has it that the Marlins won a championship once, too. Nip it in the bud before the real problems start. People will go this year just to see if they can do it again. But as soon as they start losing fifty games a season and/or Martin St. Louis skips town attendance is gonna drop again.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSolo1138
    Those poor Caps haven't been the same since Don Beaupre left.

I, too, think contraction is the real answer the the NHL's woes. Phoenix, Atlanta, Nashville, Carolina (sorry, JF96
    Ah, no problem my man. Business is business, and if the team is not generating enough money and interest then I guess something has to be done. Rogue II and myself both provided some numbers on their attendance, and well, numbers don't lie. We still have a pretty supportive fanbase, but I guess when it comes down to it that doesn't matter...what does is the number of tickets sold each game.
    It's all good though, I still have my Hurricanes jersey and my memories of the Stanley Cup run they made a few years ago. Oh yeah, and I know my beloved TarHeels will never leave me.

I'll jump in here for the 'Canes
    The new revenue-sharing business may help out some of the "newer" teams who don't have the luxury of being able to charge whatever they wanty for tickets due to their "legacies" (my own Maple Leafs are a PRIME example of this)
    Contraction of the league would likely enhance the effects of revenue sharing, but I would leave Carolina as it is- it really did seem to me like hockey was sorta catching on there a bit (and yes, JJ- I think you are referring to the playoffs games where the attendance was nowhere near what most other teams can count on, a thing which was much ballyhooed in the press)
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

Well it's a tough argument. I don't necessarily disagree with attempting to broaden the game's horizons by putting it in new markets. I think maybe there should have been some considerations made when they created the new teams - maybe every new team should be given a "probationary" franchise, to explore the interest. If a team's business case is promising at the end of their probation, they get the team. If not, they move them to the next place on the list and see how it goes there. That way, the fans feel some urgency, and put their money on the line for tickets instead of sitting at home and watching the TV broadcasts (which, in my opinion, are no great shakes on the US networks). The game live has a whole different appeal, especially when you're in a building full of die hards. Hockey at the Joe is unlike any other experience, totally addictive. How could you NOT want to go back after seeing that?
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008