Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Experiments with Force FX

Has any brave soul ever tried to detach a MRFFX blade from it's hilt, in order to see if it can be done safely in the event of a burned out blade, so that you can continue to enjoy part of the prop if you don't mind, say, a weird looking emitter?

Re: Experiments with Force FX

I would never think of detaching the blade from the hilt. First of all, I have the Darth Vader "ANH" LE and the Vader FX. Both are great similar in theme but an FX lightsaber is meant to be lit up and and given a few swings. The LE is meant to be proudly displayed.

For example, I dont have a Mace Windu LE Replica yet, but I would never get an FX one for less -detach the blade and pass it off with or without a display case. They're just not the same.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

I think you misunderstood me.

The blade is going to burn out eventually, and when it does you'll have a near exact replica hilt, and a big white rod hanging out the front. At that point, some people might want to detatch/break off the blade.

Like the supergeeks who dismantled their iPods the first week they came out, I was wondering if anyone has already tried to detach the blade from an FX, to see if it could still be enjoyed hilt-only.

The shelf-life of EL paper is pretty long, 10,000 hours I believe, and the LEDs they're using in the blades have a similar lifespan, so it's not like an old flashlight or something. But I must admit, I am curious about the blade removal as well. I would suspect with some soldering skills and electronics knowledge, one could remove the blade and install regular diodes and resistors to simulate the blade activity for the processor, but I *think* the FX blades also have crash sensors in them which would no longer work if you remove them.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

If I detached the blade, I wouldn't expect to make use any of the sounds either. I'd just treat it like the 300-400 dollar versions. Except I'd feel less anxious about carrying it around with me.

OH! I see what you're saying, I agree with ya too, I'd love to have hilts that looked as good as the FX versions, sure they're not 100% accurate but they're also not as expensive. I dunno how they assemble these things, it looks complicated for sure and now that I think about it I have no idea how getting the blade out would work.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

yea i just bought on ebay from a guy who sells master replicas 5 returned fx lightsabers (4 vader, 1 luke esb). they were returned for various reasons, but i figured i could take the most broken one and try to remove the blade. if it's easy, i'll leave instructions here. i am desperately looking online for anyone who has done this before me, and may have instructions. i'll let you know what i find.

if anyone has any idea of where i can get help with this, let me know.

utini

The real trick would be to make it just plain detachable. so you could just carry the hilt or put a replacement battery in it without mangling the hilt itself. I dont have one nor the spare cash to pick one up, but i am sure it is possible. soder a little squeez clasp on the inside perhaps?
    Sigh... For once in my life i have nothing to say...

hey all ~

so the buzz here at MR is that we are working on new editions of our sabers with detachable blades, both for ease with costuming and for repair...

when I hear more, Ill let you know...

~ jaymiles, master replicas
    ~ jaymiles

Quote Originally Posted by JayMiles
    hey all ~

so the buzz here at MR is that we are working on new editions of our sabers with detachable blades, both for ease with costuming and for repair...

when I hear more, Ill let you know...

~ jaymiles, master replicas
    Fantastic, hope there will be an OBi Saber, now that would be coooool