Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Experiments with Force FX

Has any brave soul ever tried to detach a MRFFX blade from it's hilt, in order to see if it can be done safely in the event of a burned out blade, so that you can continue to enjoy part of the prop if you don't mind, say, a weird looking emitter?

Re: Experiments with Force FX

I would never think of detaching the blade from the hilt. First of all, I have the Darth Vader "ANH" LE and the Vader FX. Both are great similar in theme but an FX lightsaber is meant to be lit up and and given a few swings. The LE is meant to be proudly displayed.

For example, I dont have a Mace Windu LE Replica yet, but I would never get an FX one for less -detach the blade and pass it off with or without a display case. They're just not the same.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

I think you misunderstood me.

The blade is going to burn out eventually, and when it does you'll have a near exact replica hilt, and a big white rod hanging out the front. At that point, some people might want to detatch/break off the blade.

Like the supergeeks who dismantled their iPods the first week they came out, I was wondering if anyone has already tried to detach the blade from an FX, to see if it could still be enjoyed hilt-only.

The shelf-life of EL paper is pretty long, 10,000 hours I believe, and the LEDs they're using in the blades have a similar lifespan, so it's not like an old flashlight or something. But I must admit, I am curious about the blade removal as well. I would suspect with some soldering skills and electronics knowledge, one could remove the blade and install regular diodes and resistors to simulate the blade activity for the processor, but I *think* the FX blades also have crash sensors in them which would no longer work if you remove them.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

If I detached the blade, I wouldn't expect to make use any of the sounds either. I'd just treat it like the 300-400 dollar versions. Except I'd feel less anxious about carrying it around with me.

OH! I see what you're saying, I agree with ya too, I'd love to have hilts that looked as good as the FX versions, sure they're not 100% accurate but they're also not as expensive. I dunno how they assemble these things, it looks complicated for sure and now that I think about it I have no idea how getting the blade out would work.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

yea i just bought on ebay from a guy who sells master replicas 5 returned fx lightsabers (4 vader, 1 luke esb). they were returned for various reasons, but i figured i could take the most broken one and try to remove the blade. if it's easy, i'll leave instructions here. i am desperately looking online for anyone who has done this before me, and may have instructions. i'll let you know what i find.

if anyone has any idea of where i can get help with this, let me know.

utini

The real trick would be to make it just plain detachable. so you could just carry the hilt or put a replacement battery in it without mangling the hilt itself. I dont have one nor the spare cash to pick one up, but i am sure it is possible. soder a little squeez clasp on the inside perhaps?
    Sigh... For once in my life i have nothing to say...

hey all ~

so the buzz here at MR is that we are working on new editions of our sabers with detachable blades, both for ease with costuming and for repair...

when I hear more, Ill let you know...

~ jaymiles, master replicas
    ~ jaymiles

Quote Originally Posted by JayMiles
    hey all ~

so the buzz here at MR is that we are working on new editions of our sabers with detachable blades, both for ease with costuming and for repair...

when I hear more, Ill let you know...

~ jaymiles, master replicas
    Fantastic, hope there will be an OBi Saber, now that would be coooool