Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

UNDER-hyped/appreciated movies

As a compliment to the Over-hyped movie thread, how about some movies that you feel were under-hyped or under-appreciated?
    Perhaps people (and critics) blasted it unfairly (in you opinion), or maybe it's a film that wasn't a big hit, but those who have seen it really like it.
    Or maybe it's just a movie you like and nobody else does.

Leon (international uncut version)
    - While the American verion (The Professional) was good, the uncut version was quite a bit better. Gary Oldman is over the top, Jean Reno is probably at his best, and Natalie Portman shines in her first role. Reno is Leon, an assassin who takes Mathilda (Portman) under his wing and trains her after her family is murdered by a crooked cop (Oldman).
    The new Leon anniversary DVD is the uncut version I believe.

Ghost World - This was on quite a few critics "Best of" lists when it was released, but few people saw it. It's a comedy starring Scarlet Johansen and Thora Birch, based on the indie comic. It's pretty hard to describe, but I'll try. After Rebecca and Enid graduate high school, neither really has a plan for life other than getting jobs and moving out. Their friendship strains as Enid drags her feet and meets a new friend (Steve Buscemi).
    Hey, it's not the best description, but its a start.

Daredevil: Director's Cut - This didn't recieve too much attention when it was released a few months ago, but the new cut makes it a much better movie, adding nearly 30 minutes in a subplot about Matt defending an innocent man, played by Coolio (yes, Coolio). There are also a few other cuts and additions here and there, like more Bullseye, and a longer fight with the Kingpin, plus the cutting of the pointless Matt and Elektra sex scene.

Apt Pupil - Brian Singer directed thriller, based on a Stephen King short story about a high school kid (Brad Renfro) that discovers one of his neighbors (Ian McKellen) is a Nazi war criminal. Best Buy has it in their bargain racks for $6.

Enemy at the Gates - The critical World War II battle of Stalingrad between the Germans and Russians is the backdrop for a game of cat and mouse played by a Russian and German sniper (Jude Law and Ed Harris). While based on a true story, it is heavily dramatized (some people even say much of it never even happened!).

Rules of Engagement - Tommy Lee Jones defends Samuel L Jackson, who is accused of opening fire on an unarmed crowd during an embassy evacuation if the Middle East. Great performances by both Jones and Jackson. Both a war movie and a legal thriller.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Re: UNDER-hyped/appreciated movies

The Late Shift- a television movie about the behind the scenes maneuvering that occurred between Letterman, Leno, and Carson when Carson left the tonight show. Fascinating.

The Fog of War- unseen documentary / interview of Robert S. McNamara. Everybody needs to see this yesterday.

For Your Eyes Only- the most underappreciated Bond film.

L.A. Confidential- shamefully unseen by the masses. Much better than Titanic (which beat it for best picture) and also better than Chinatown (which it is always compared to).

Full Metal Jacket- always compared unfavorably to Platoon and Apocalypse now, but every bit as insightful into the insanity of war.

The Insider- Russell Crowe won best actor for the wrong portrayal.

Star Trek: TMP (director's edition)- much maligned and misunderstood, but the only true big budget event ST film. The story and effects are superior to any NG film.

The 25th Hour: nobody saw this film

The Right Stuff- a commercial failure, an american film classic. Probably the most under-rated of them all, IMHO
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy

Apt Pupil - Brian Singer directed thriller, based on a Stephen King short story about a high school kid (Brad Renfro) that discovers one of his neighbors (Ian McKellen) is a Nazi war criminal. Best Buy has it in their bargain racks for $6.

Thats because this movie sucked. It was horrid. The story was much better than this pile of junk they spewed out of a useless dying Giraffes arse. This movie had potential to be good, but it just never took off. As far as I am concerned, Best Buy should give you 6 bucks for even eyeing the movie.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I must agree with Jon9000 on For Your Eyes Only (the only real "straight" Bond movie Moore played in) and LA Confidential (downright filthy it's that gritty) crooked cop movie. Love both of those shows dearly. A couple of movies I love that people seem to love to hate are GATTACA with Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke, and Copland with Sylvestor Stallone (believe me, I thought I would hate it more than anyone but it's really good).
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

JON9000 is right. "For Your Eyes Only" is an underappreciated Bond Film. Julian Glover was a good villian, Carole Bouquet was a babe-what a hottie! And she didnt give it up till the end either! It had some great stunts and good ideas for a film. One of my favorite 007 movies.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

Spice World.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

L.A> COnfidential wasa grewat movie.I loved it. The UsualSuspects is another one I feel is under appreciated.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.

I think the one on my list is one that we've all seen.

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
    Sure, it had loads of hype in the Star Wars fan community, but the general public didn't give a rat's @$$ about the movie, because they over-hyped Episode 1 and didn't want to make the same mistake for Episode 2. It's a shame too, because AOTC is miles better than TPM. AOTC was a box office success, but a commercial failure.
    [FONT=Arial Black]"I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERF***ER!!!!!"[/FONT]
    [FONT=Impact]Awesome Traders: JON9000, darkagent[/FONT]

'Executive Decision' - picked this up recently. Great movie. Very suspenseful.
    'Enemy at the Gates' - awesome movie
    'No Escape' - total guy movie, In fact there isn't even one female in the whole movie. Very cool premise.
    'Black Hole' - cool scifi movie that gets lost behind Star Wars and Star Trek.
    'Tombstone' - best western ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by vader121
    'Tombstone' - best western ever made.

Noarguement there.