Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Where Did It All Start?

Early Bird set, Christmas 1977. My mom was smart enough to open it and send the coupon in when she bought it, rather than wait for Christmas, so I think I got an early set of figures. My sister eventually ended up with that Chewie, Artoo, and Leia, but I still have my Luke Skywalker w/Double-telescoping Lightsaber

Rick

My first non-baby toys were indeed figures from the original film. As I grew older, the other movies came out, so I made a point of collecting every action figure and playset that came out, too (I have vivid memories of spending months of allowance on the Rancor).
    My addiction to carded figure collecting actually began in the mid- to late-80s, when I found several ROTJ pegwarmers selling for 50 cents at this great old Omaha toy store called Children's Palace (now a Best Buy, I believe). I was only marginally interested in POTF2 when it came out, but when Episode I hit, I started collecting hard core again.

Boy, I had to really think for a moment, I mean after all I was 12 when the first Star Wars movie came out in 77! From my earliest recollection, I think the first Star Wars thing I ever got was a 100 peice puzzle with the X-Wing and TIE fighter. My parents weren't ones to spend money on me, and my pursuit of SW toys. By the time I was able to get a job, most of the SW toys had come and gone. Even when I did have a job, I wasn't making that much, and I was working as a busboy at a mall restaurant. After I got my tips for working the lunch shift, I would run down to the other corner of the mall, and watch ESB. I really don't have to many toys from the early days left after I got caught stealing some small toy (stupid, I know), my dad threw much of what I did have in the trash. I was able to salvage a few items, but mostly the stuff he didn't find. Then in 95, I was out of School, working a job, had my own place, had a 4 year old son, and they started putting the toys out again! It was a great day for me, and now my collection has grown and takes up most of my bedroom, and has started taking over the living and dining rooms at my place.

You can see some of my old photos of my collection at the photo gallery here on SSG. I plan on updating them ASAP.

BTW, my favorite item, is my Stormtrooper armor, and my Tusken outfit! I really enjoy seeing kids faces when they see this guy in armor walking towards them from a movie that they have seen thanks to all the rereleases!
    Last edited by bobafrett; 02-24-2005 at 11:42 PM.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

(The links in the Collections section of the site seem to be broken -cant see the pictures!)
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

Quote Originally Posted by Jayspawn
    (The links in the Collections section of the site seem to be broken -cant see the pictures!)
    I can't seem to access the pictures of my collection, or any others, except Sir Steve and staff. I wonder if they cleaned the slate?

I know. I'm gonna email the boss and see whats up.

The Boss emailed me back and said they were accidently erased but were on backup -and should be back soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayspawn
    The Boss emailed me back and said they were accidently erased but were on backup -and should be back soon.
    It's back up and working! I need to update some of the pictures, as I moved, and added items to my collection.

http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/sho...00&ppuser=3774
    Last edited by bobafrett; 03-01-2005 at 10:14 PM.

It all started on a trip to TRU for a kids B-day. As we drove up I noticed a Collectors shop right next to TRU (How convenient for the shop right? ) Well I thought I should take a look in there incase there something that caught my eye and a OC carded vader sure did along with most of the 1st wave in 96. I had no idea that the line had come out. I mean how would If I never went into toy stores. Well I did think $30 was a good price, so I went to TRU and they didn't even have 1 figure on the pegs. I went to KB and I think I bought Lando and R2. Almost 10 years later and I can't believe I'm still at it. It's actually the longest thing I have stuck with in my life, well except school.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

It all started way back in '77 for me. I vividly remember seeing it at a drive-in in the back of a station wagon with my mom, her boyfreind (at the time) and his daughter. I was 6 years old and was enthralled by the movie. My mom says all I talked about for a while after that was "Darth Vader".

I remember my mom coming home with Darth and a few other figures when they came out in '78 (I'm pretty sure it was Luke and Ben). Then I started getting them on shopping trips to Malls, Gemco (long gone), Sears, and Mervyns - they actually had a toy section back in the day. Mom would let me get one or two figures at a time - I would sit there for what seemed like hours deciding which ones to get!

I was heavily into the toys until the begining of the ROTJ line, and had a lot of the figures and vehicles - but never had a complete collection or anything like that. I missed out on most ROTJ, and all POTF, Droids, and Ewoks figures.

Fast forward to '95. I had gotten back into to toys with the ToyBiz Marvel stuff, so I was around for the begining of POTF2 - and everything after that is history.

Like Kidhuman said, I can't believe it's been ten years already! Just seems crazy to me.