Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Where Did It All Start?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbowars
    Almost 10 years later and I can't believe I'm still at it. It's actually the longest thing I have stuck with in my life, well except school.
    You just nailed it, that's probably why the whole thing seems so crazy to me.

Not to sound like a lonely freak or anything like that (I'm really not), but SW figures seem almost like an old freind at this point. Always there for me, and they don't give me any crap!

I don't know Reefer, remember I have met you.

Yeah I know what you mean. What the hell are people like you and I going to do when Hasbro and just about all companies drop the line? Oh man I think I'll go in hiding.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

I'm having issues with trying to switch out some of the old pictures from my collection page here on SSG. Instead I guide you to my collection online photo album. Click on the link below, and go about half way down the second page. You can look at my updated pictures there!

http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.a...lbum_id=104013

I have a lot of stuff, more than some, less than others, but it's all good!
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Bobafrett... I am your father... You will share with me... It is your destiny!
    43 muscles to frown, 17 muscles to smile, but not one single muscle to sit here with a dumb look on my face. Now we're talking efficiency.

The very first thing I ever got was the novelization for Star Wars. I'm pretty sure that was under the Christmas tree in '76. Then, I can still remember walking into the Kmart in Toledo, Ohio (on Reynolds Road) and seeing a display stand near the front door full of Star Wars action figures. My mom decided to let me get one. She looked at R2 and said, "He's cute," and that was it. I still have the novel (split down the middle like they all did from that time) and the R2 (who has seen better days). I was never a "serious" collector or anything in those years, but somehow the pile o' stuff grew. Alas, as high school set in, my attention turned to other pursuits like girls and home movies (though the twain never met unfortunately ). As a result, I wound up with almost none of the POTF coin figures, though my younger brother managed to wind up with some great stuff that I never had.

Life ensued until '94ish when I saw one of the Galoob Micromachine sets sitting on a toy shelf at TRU. I could barely believe my eyes. I had to have it of course. It was some months later when I stumbled upon the first He-Man type action figures. Now those, I couldn't pass up. I remember thinking that there would only ever be a few made. Afterall, these movies were 20+ years old. So I started buying them whenever a new one would show up. Of course, as my vintage Cantina playset became too small to display what I had bought, out came the shoeboxes to start storing the older ones. Then in time, the boxes got too small and gave way to larger "office" drawer things, those plastic ones you find at Target. Everything was nicely organized until eventually, there were too many figures to keep them organized this way. So most recently, I've simply dumped all the OT figs into one huge plastic container and the Prequels into another. The Expanded Universe stuff gets its own as do the ships (multiple boxes), beasts, and playsets.

That one R2 led to, what is now, a collection of well over a thousand action figures, most of the vehicles and playsets, as well as a calvacade of other non-Hasbro Star Wars knick knacks and paddywhacks.

Currently, on top of my computer monitors, I have the Kotobukiya Darth Vader, the small Yoda from the Taco Bell sets, the R2 D2 with removable head that I think came with the Taco Bell sets, a wind up AT AT, a Lego Speederbike and Scout, a 12" Biker Scout on the Bike, and a small Marvin the Martian who has been with me since I moved away from home.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Fett
    Bobafrett... I am your father... You will share with me... It is your destiny!
    Ha, I have told my 14 year old son that he inherits the collection when I pass on.

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid
    Life ensued until '94ish when I saw one of the Galoob Micromachine sets sitting on a toy shelf at TRU. I could barely believe my eyes.
    Are you talking about the sets with the 3 ships stilla? I remember my friend and I used to wonder the TRU's in our area, and the one day we were rounding a corner when I spotted an endcap of these micromachines. I let out a girly type scream, and I remeber my friend putting some distance between us, telling the emploee "I don't know him". I think that was the start or rebirth of the Star Wars collecting phase, and it's amazing that it's still doing well these days.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!