Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: War songs

Re: War songs

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker
    Well, if we're gonna move this into an all out best war songs thread I'd like to nominate "Sink the Bismarck" by Johnny Horton. Great, great war song.
    He also did "Battle of New Orleans". My parents had an album called Johnny Horton On Stage if I remember the title correctly. Enjoyed listening to those songs.

I just noticed a Star Wars connection to "War Pigs". If you move the letter p, you get Warp IGs. That could be IG series droids travelling in hyperspace.

Re: War songs

Quote Originally Posted by kidhuman
    How about War Pigs? Good "War" song
    when i went to see nine inch nails the support act, who were called the dresden dolls, did a kick-*** cover of war pigs. just a girl at a piano and a lunatic drummer but it was the most innovative cover of this particular song i have ever heard.

of course there are a couple of war songs by slayer: war ensemble and *clears throat* cheeeeeemmical warrrrrrrrfaiiiiiiiirrre. as tom would say. er shriek.
    come one, come all/chalk your eyes/blood for gall/this isnít the same world/your children are offerings/bow down/give thanks for their scant sufferings/chalk your eyes/the bigger the god so small the man/just this wooden horse remains

is this what you fought for?/green order/green order

This is not a Caesar impersonation.

Has anyone else heard Neil Young's new album, Living With War? That's got to be the most brutal musical assault on Bush and the Iraq War yet.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I don't like Neil Young. Not because he's anti-Bush, because he's anti-my auditory pleasure. That guy's voice annoys me more and more over the years.

There are several Neil Young songs that I really like, but a lot of it I don't really care for. I have Decade, a 2-CD best of that goes through about 1977 I think. My favorites on there would be "Mr. Soul" (A Buffalo Springfield song), "Cinnamon Girl", "Down By The River", "Southern Man", "Ohio" (with Crosby, Stills & Nash), "Old Man", "Heart Of Gold", and "The Needle And The Damage Done". I've only listened to the whole thing once or twice, so I couldn't tell you what many of the other songs even sound like.

I've not heard his new album, but if it is just a Bush bashing, I can probably pass on that one. I can still enjoy a song if it is from the other side of the political spectrum from me. Heck, Neil's "Rockin' in the Free World" had some subtle digs at the elder George Bush with the "1000 points of light" and "kinder, gentler machine gun hand" lines. That's a great song. Stuff like that is a bit more clever than "Let's Impeach The President".

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar
    I don't like Neil Young. Not because he's anti-Bush, because he's anti-my auditory pleasure. That guy's voice annoys me more and more over the years.
    How could you not like a guy that wears a hat that says "take this job and shove it??????????????????????????????"

I, also, don't like Neil Young so I'll probably never hear those songs.

For those that like their music a little more hard-edged check out Ministry's new album Rio Grande Blood.

The album is totally anti-Bush and the war in Iraq.
    Personally, though, I think the songs could be anti-vegetarianism and this album would still kick major butt.

Al Jourgensen is a genius!

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds
    How could you not like a guy that wears a hat that says "take this job and shove it??????????????????????????????"
    Because the voice he would read it in is so g'damned whiny ?

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar
    Because the voice he would read it in is so g'damned whiny ?
    What do you think of J Mascis' voice? The first time I heard Dinosaur Jr, I thought it sounded a bit like a Neil Young tape being eaten up by the tape deck. I actually kind of like it though. He's made some good music. Don't know if he's done any war/protest songs though.

How about that song "Bombs Below" by Living Things? I kind of like that song. I was just looking up the lyrics and it appears to be commenting on the war. It has the lines "we're gonna win the war / that's what you kids are for / we salute you / where do all the dead boys go / no solutions just bombs below."