Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reminiscing

Reminiscing

As the Star Wars experience begins to wind down with the release of (supposedly) the last Star Wars feature film ever, I thought it would be interesting to look back at the best and worst threads/posts from SSG. Undoubtedly ROTS will drive away some long time fans and maybe even bring in a few latecomers. Others will just drift away. So what have been some of your favorite moments from spending time here? Just a couple of mine are now listed in my sig line.

Re: Reminiscing

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid
    Undoubtedly ROTS will drive away some long time fans and maybe even bring in a few latecomers. Others will just drift away.
    I'm trying to think of some of my favorite threads. Kebco ones are usually pretty funny especially when the employees get involved. As for enjoyable ones I'll get to that another time.

I know for me after ROTS comes out I will be more inclined to post here again. There have been a few other reasons, but one thing that has prevented me from visiting any SW boards regularly the past 6 months is the abundance of Spoilers. If seems that even normal threads in OTC, Episode 1, or even in general discussion someone throws out something I don't want to know till the movie comes out. I'm fine with knowing character names and seeing packaging shots (though I haven't ready any bios or back of the box descriptions) but other than that I want to save my discussion for after I see the flick. Although I do see your point that there will be a good degree of drop off over time, unless (fingers-crossed) Lucasfilm decides to release cartoons/tv shows/movies that are of quality.
    Hasbro, Wuher needs help, bring us Ackmena http://www.petitiononline.com/Ackmena/petition.html

Kenobi must be the Smith or Johnson of Tatooine

It's always fun to get in heated arguments over nothing. Once, Deadeye was so sure that Anakin's cloak in AOTC had sleeves, and a bunch of people (myself included) told him he was wrong. That guy hates to hear that.

I also remember a discussion between me, Hango Fett, and Deadeye about two of Padmé's *ahem* belongings that you can see on the ship on Geonosis while she watches Obi-Wan's message. Ah, good times.

There were a few times when we'd say one part of a random story then others would continue with it. Same goes for Tycho's interpretations of the films using action figures.

Tycho's weird fetish with the Mouse Droid.

Reading about (and seeing pictures of) Stanse.

All the different tangents people go off on here - beards, pirates, bears, old video games, etc.

The coming and going of all the people on here - Jonna, Deadeye, Thrawn, Emperor Jargo, and all the rest who don't post here as much as they used to.

God it's like we're all dying or something.

What I remember about the last 2.5 years is meeting abunch of great people and discussing the helloutof Star Wars. I swear we must have dissected the movie tobits and pieces and put it back together again.

Also meeting some people whom I consider tobe friends....

Mabs: The psycho from Canada, 1 of the 4 greatest thngs that country ever produced(Neil Young being #1)
    JJ: The RCMP. WHat can I say dude, your hilarious
    Chux: The guy can make me laugh
    JMG: A good guy and funny at that too
    LM and JBF: The brothers MOds, always fun totalk to they can put a spin toanyhting that will make you wet yourself.
    TurboWars: One hell of a good guy, one of the best traders out there. My collevction wouldnt be the same.
    SK99: Awesome dude, great trader, always fun to discuss topics with him
    Slicker: A funny man, hope he sticks around for a long time.
    JJB: A fountain of info in the DVD and SW world.
    JJL: A good kid who has a bigger collectionthan me, always fun to hear from him.
    JT: Great guy, always has a good comeback for everything, funny intellegent a good combo
    Caesar: The guy who makes me laugh just by seeing him post something most of the time.
    LTbasker: Great dude, funny guy, love the chats on AIM with him
    CaptainSolo: Slickers younger brother, makes me laugh, just getting to know him outside of SSG on AIM
    Steve: Without him none of this would be possible...Thanks man
    PlasticFetish: ALways quick to post pics of great new stuff and detailed reviews.
    Tycho: A great guy with a lot to say
    Stillakid: He is the other side of the coin.
    HF: A good kid looking for advice
    TonySmo: Not around alot but a good guy, funny as hell
    QLD: Awesome, always makes me laugh, even though he kicks all our arses inFantasy Sports
    JF96: A great guy, helped my collection big time. Thanks Man
    MTriv, MM74MD and all in the Va/DC/MD thread: THanks for keeping me abreast if whats in the state and its surroundings.

To friends and posters long gone: Overlord Returns, Rogue II, Jargo, Howdy, Yes even Howdy, BigB(who comes and goes like the wind) Dryanta and Deoxy(Da Ox):
    A group of Great Guy who I miss shooting the S**t with. Lots of fun times with all on this board.

I cant pick out any threads in particular, because they all have been insightful in some dimension or another. Let the good times roll and keep on rolling
    Last edited by Kidhuman; 03-05-2005 at 08:26 PM.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I think "The Amazing Pig Terd Journey" (posted about five years ago on the old forums, and also posted at the same time under a name like "Jar Jar's Amazing Adventure at the Fair") was the finest piece of literature ever posted online.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

One thread I will never forget, because I read the entire thing in one night was "The Jesus Loves You" Thread.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by kidhuman
    JJL: A good kid who has a bigger collectionthan me, always fun to hear from him.
    Aw shucks, you're making me blush.

You also brought up a good point - religious and political threads are always fun to read because of the extreme polar opposite beliefs of some of the characters on here. Not necessarily as fun to participate in though.

I also really appreciate all the help I've received from fellow forumites as far as collecting goes, like the ones in my sig line. Especially Dark Marble (though he's not on there yet), as occasionally we're able to find things for each other since we live in the same general area.

How could I forget all the folks who love to come here under different names once they're banned? Deadeye as Anakin2121 (and God knows what else), and Geonosian as Frrzr-land or whatever he called himself, and the few others. Some people on here are seriously whacked out!

One of the threads I'm enjoying right now (well, the few threads) are the ones by -Durge- about that damn Utapauian Warrior. Leave it alone man!

When I made first contact with "THE TRON!" That is a proud moment on these forums for me, and the hilarious discussion that resulted from it.

I actually revisited that old thread last night to spark the memories.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

I forgot to mention, if it isn't too difficult, could y'all find and then provide the links to these threads? It'll be easier for the masses to enjoy them too if we can find them without too much trouble.

All I know is that I have missed many an hour of sleep reading the boards here (just like I am doing right now), but mostly enjoy the threads where pictures of the posters here at SSG are shown. I'm a visual guy, so I like seeing pics of other collectors, and/or their collections. I also like threads where I can share pictures of my collection, after all when I show my parents, they just tell me that my place looks like a Toys 'R' us!

Sorry, not enough time to look up the posts which I refer to, less than six hours of sleep for me as it is tonight.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!