Weekly Review: Star Destroyer Commander

Here we finally are, last of the original 12 figures, the Star Destroyer Commander . Gray jump suit, black boots, gloves and helmet. More human than the Stormtrooper (who didn't think they were robots as a kid) but some how not as cool. First available in 1978 on a 12 back card the Star Destroyer Commander was first called the Death Squad Commander. With a new movie came a new name. Kenner change the name for the ESB line. There are no major variations known for the Star Destroyer Commander. He can be found on most major types of card backs, but not a POTF type.

The Star Destroyer Commander is an ok figure. I think his biggest problem is that fact that he must stand in the shadow of the Stormtrooper. The figures is a bit bland, but being a generic human he would be. Being in the gray jump suit rather than a black never has bothered me, black on gray give more contrast than black on black. So that was a good move on Kenner's part. Other than that there not much to say about this figure. The detail is ok, not great nor bad. Same with the sculpting.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Re: Weekly Review: Star Destroyer Commander

I always liked this figure. Kinda wacky helmet but otherwise a cool figure in my opinion.

I also thought the Stormtroopers were robots as most kids did and thought the DS commanders commanded the Stormtroopers. They were like squad commanders. I only had 2 as a kid and would split my Stormtroopers in half and each DS commander would command a squad.

I also thought that these were the Rebel Fleet Troopers that were brainwashed to fight for the Empire. I guess I didn't really notice them too much in the movie for the Empire. Anyway this is what I did as a storyline for my playing days for a time. Imagination is a wonderful thing.

I Always Like Them A Lot. Over The Years He Has Changed Rolls A Little. At First He Was Number One Commander Behind Vader.with The Blue And Red Colors For Rank I Put Them Above Imperial Commanders And At-at Commanders. I Still Collect Them Today For Landing Bay Operators. I Do Like The Neutral Pose Very Well.
    YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH STORMTROOPERS

I thought this guy was kind of cool. I loved the helmet on him(why no idea). I always called in the Death Star Commander.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

How can you not like a guy called 'Death squad commander'? I like all of these sort of generic Imperial guys because there weren't that many. It kinda breaks up the monotony of all of those Storm troopers. Great card for this figure too. Dark and brooding pic.

Sy Snootles lip synchs

He became my Rebel Fleet Commander, when I put a Hoth backpack on him (don't ask me why that seemed to make a difference; I was an odd kid, I guess). I played with him quite a lot, he just looked cool enough. I never knew of his "Death Squad" name, but I was always freaked out by his weird face on the card, as well as that hanging chain thing.

p.s. This is my 1980th post.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Quote Originally Posted by kidhuman
    I always called in the Death Star Commander.
    As a little kid I called him the Death Star Commander too. Somewhere a long the line someone corrected me. Either were better the Death Squad.

Not having had one as a kid, I picking this guy up off eBay in mid '99. One of the big lots I picked up, it had all the Hoth figures plus an AT-ST, Tauntaun and a few mini-rigs. Of all the figure the Star Destroyer Commander had to be one of the best figures. I've had a small problem with frosting on the helmet.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

I didn't know he was wearing a helmet at first. I just thought he had a "Moe Howard" haircut