Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Brushes with Star Wars Fame

So which actors or crew from any Star Wars film or project have you run into? While conventions are sort of "cheating," I suppose we'll allow it.

I've had the pleasure of meeting a few, but the inspiration for this thread came about after Frank Oz hopped into my elevator this morning. A quick "good morning" shared between us and he was off on his own floor just that quick. I had shot him in the past at a premiere for one of his films, but that's not like really "meeting" him. Not that today was either, but you know, you take what you get.

I've also had the honor of shooting (video, not guns ) James Earl Jones, Sam Jackson, Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher in my illustrious career.

So who have you had the opportunity of meeting?

Re: Brushes with Star Wars Fame

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid
    So which actors or crew from any Star Wars film or project have you run into? While conventions are sort of "cheating," I suppose we'll allow it.

I've had the pleasure of meeting a few, but the inspiration for this thread came about after Frank Oz hopped into my elevator this morning. A quick "good morning" shared between us and he was off on his own floor just that quick. I had shot him in the past at a premiere for one of his films, but that's not like really "meeting" him. Not that today was either, but you know, you take what you get.

I've also had the honor of shooting (video, not guns ) James Earl Jones, Sam Jackson, Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher in my illustrious career.

So who have you had the opportunity of meeting?
    The only people I had the pleasure of meeting was Temera Morrison, the lady who played Aurra Sing (I can't remember her name right now) and Amy Allen. But, those were all at events where they were scheduled to be, so I guess call me a "cheater". I live in Columbus, Ohio so it's not often that celebs pass through her just for the fun of it. And, when I'm out to places like New York or L.A., I'm just not lucky enough to run into people.

On a side note, I did run into Frank Gorshin (for those who don't know, he played the Riddler in the old Batman shows). I also saw President Bush and Arnold Schwarzenneger when they came to Columbus a few days before the election. That's about my only brushes with fame.
    Ah, good...here comes the Air Force with those new round planes.

I remember a few years back, I had never really gone to any convention, other than a "Doctor Who" convention. I had heard advertisements that Star Wars celebs would be at Wizard World in Chicago. This was just about a year before EP II came out. I get to the convention, nervous as all, and I go to the back and see virtually no line for Dave Prowse. I had watched "A Clockwork Orange" the night before and noticed the name Dave Prowse came up in the credits. So when I get to the table to have him sign his autograph, I asked him if he was the big muscular guy in the above mentioned film. He was very happy to talk to me about how it was the movie that led Lucas to cast him in Star Wars. I went on that day on got Peter Mayhew, and Michonne (aura sing) Bourriague's (sp?) autograph.

I met at CII; Billy Dee Williams, Kenny Baker, Carrie Fisher, Warrick Davis, Michael Carter, Phil Brown, Jeremy Bulloch, and Michael Sheard.

Later after CII convention hours, I was at a party where in walks Peter Mayhew, Micheal Sheard, and I believe Richard Leparmentier. It was cool, because we all mingled, but I mostly just stood there until I had enough courage to go ask Mr. Sheard if I could have my picture taken with him, which he was happy to oblige. So I'm not such a "cheater"

I also met Amy Allen, and Ray Park at another Wizard World convention a year or so after EP II, but again it was for autographs, and I had my picture taken with Michonne, Ray, and Amy!
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

About 6 years ago, I met James Earl Jones in a K-Mart, no less. I was visiting my aunt's house in Upstate NY, and I saw him in a K-Mart buying hardware tools. My aunt was shocked, and we got his autograph, which I still have to this day. It reads-

Harrison-best wishes. James Earl Jones "Darth Vader"

Boy was I excited.

To this day, it's the only celebrity I've met.
    [FONT=Arial Black]"I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERF***ER!!!!!"[/FONT]
    [FONT=Impact]Awesome Traders: JON9000, darkagent[/FONT]

I've had several run-ins over the years. I've had the pleasure of meeting several uncommon Star Wars actors that dont make appearances or signings. And fond memories of them all....

First Star Wars actor I ever met was Jeremy Bulloch, when I was in middle school. I was a huge Boba Fett fan -so I was pretty stoked! I was soo excited and I asked him some general question (I'm sure he got all the time -but I was thrilled to ask it) and he signed an action figure.

A year or two later I got to another con, where Anthony Daniels and Kenny Baker were and I was excited of course. I had them sign an action figure and a photo. Anthony was very polite and we took a picture together -a real gentleman. Kenny was rather quiet but took a picture with me also.

Years later when I got to highschool I had the great luck of getting a job with The Official Star Wars Fan Club! To the day -the BEST job I ever had! During the Phantom Menace era, we hosted Celebration I. Far from the best convention ever but I met some great people. Working for the Fan Club I got to go backstage and meet guests! The 1st was Warrick Davis, he signed my Episode I Teaser one sheet. We took a picture and chatted for a few minuets. He was very cheerful and pleasant. Another really wonderful guy was Ahmed Best, say what you will about JarJar but Ahmed was just cool. A great guy! Me, another guy and Ahmed hung out for like half an hour and talked about whatever. One of my favorite Star Wars actors. He signed my Teaser one sheet and took pictures! She was pretty quiet, but I got to meet Pernilla August which was an honor meeting Anakin's Mom. A very nice, sweet lady, she signed my Teaser one sheet and took pictures. In many ways -reminded me of my own Mom, and I got to give her a hug. Not an actor but good chat everytime we meet, Steve Sansweet and I have bumped into eachother over the years. At Celebration time he hung around our offices and worked on events for the event. Such a nice guy -great to talk to about Star Wars Collecting because he knows what you're talking about. At the Celebration I also stood next to Hugh Quarashie (Captain Panaka) -but he looked so different I didnt know that it was him! I saw Rick McCallum around also but he was out and about.

Richard LeParmentier was also a cool guy as well. Met him at a convention afer hours and we talked about acting, Star Wars, what Carrie Fisher and Peter Cushing were like. We talked about 45 minuets one-on-one. A wonderful conversation and wonderful person.

Peter Mayhew was a gentleman was well (met him not too long ago), very tall, very quiet, we got to talk for a little while as well -great conversation, people were actually stopping to listen to us.
    Last edited by Jayspawn; 03-09-2005 at 11:24 AM.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

You shot Frank Oz!

You B@$#ard!!!

JK, I couldn't resist!

I have not really meet anyone, except at conventions. I went to Gen Con Indy for the Silver Fett. I got Jeremy Bulloch to sign my figure. I had never been to a convention before, much less gotten an autograph. But when I went over to his table he was really cool. He talked to me and asked where I had come in from, etc. It was way cool.

I also got to meet Kenny Baker, he didn't really talk much, or at least I could barely hear him. I had to put my hearing-aids in and turn 'em way up, even then it was difficult to hear him. Anyway, I also got him to autograph my silver R2-D2.

That's about it. Ray Parks was at the convention as well, but he was scheduled for a later appearance, so I missed out.
    May the force be with you.

One time friend of mine (who is in his early 20s, but looks 14) got to eat finger foods with Peter Mayhew and Lou Ferrigno.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

It was at CII, so I don't know if this really counts but . . .

My wife & I were leaving the orchestra concert during the convention, and as we're walking out we look down and there's Warwick Davis walking right between us. My wife almost stepped on him! We we're both too surprised to say anything at the moment.

Anyway, we signed up for the Breakfast with him at CIII so she can apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy
    One time friend of mine (who is in his early 20s, but looks 14) got to eat finger foods with Peter Mayhew and Lou Ferrigno.
    LMAO! I forgot all about that. Never met any SW folk, but I did meet most of the Bloodhound Gang on two seperate occasions. I got autographs and got to hug Jimmy Pop. Pretty cool.
    Last edited by CaptainSolo1138; 03-15-2005 at 12:54 PM.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

I've never just randomly seen Mark Hamill walking down the street or anything like that. All of the below happened at conventions, but they're still fun.

I suppose closest I've come to meeting anyone was at CII, when I got Billy Dee Williams's autograph. I said "Thank you," and so did he! I thought that was pretty cool, Lando actually talking to me.

At CI, when Ahmed Best was giving an interview, I was there with my mom. When he was giving autographs afterwards, we went up there (it was like a freakin' moshpit in front of the stage!) and my mom held up a little set of stickers I had made with me and Jar Jar (remember those machines there?). He said something like "I have to sign one for a lady," and my mom still likes that a lot.

Warwick Davis walked past my dad at CI when we were looking at the new Hasbro figures. I totally didn't even realize it was him until after he walked away! My dad's 6'6" so Warwick was barely up past his knee! I can't wait to see him again, after his great job in Ray!

Anthony Daniels walked past me a few times, once at CI "talking" on his cellphone but likely trying to avoid fans. At CII he walked past the line and chatted with some folks, but I didn't get to. Shame he's not going to be there at CIII, I really enjoyed him (and his gold jacket!) at the other ones.

In person I've also seen Jake Lloyd and Ray Park at CI, and Temuera Morrison, Daniel Logan, and the autograph signers at CII. No up-close encounters with them though.

Really, this is just making me more excited for CIII!!!
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram