Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Pics of Grievous, CLone, Sidious

I passed on the Sidious because my old Emperor with cane is good enough. The Clone looked odd to me with those markings so I passed for now. I planned on waiting til after the movie is out before deciding if I wanted to buy Grievous . . . but then I saw him in person and just had to get him right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Ji'dai
    I really like the new 12" packaging after having seen it in person. It's pretty snazzy, almost a shame to open it up. Basically a rectangular box with a curved front edge that displays the character artwork. It's reminiscent of the bubble used on the animated Clone Wars line.
    It looks good sealed, but opening it is an absolute nightmare, this is the worst "opener" packaging ever seen in the 12" line that I can think of. The box is hard to open without breaking stuff, then there's clear-bands, twisties, and the cape is sewn into the cardboard insert, and getting the insert back in the box is horrible. I can't imagine why they chose this look, it probably costs more to assemble and makes the toy harder to get at.

I only bought Grievous today. I haven't opened him yet but my only complaint so far is that he's too "clean." The arrow-ridges above his eyes need to be painted black. Plus I think he needs to be wiped down with black paint to fill in those battle-damage nicks and scrapes I see on the surface of his armor.
    He's definitely way too clean, and he's missing paint apps on his mouth and some other areas. I like this figure loose to LOOK at, and I love that at least 1 Hasbro division was able to get the cape to fit and look good, yet still come off easily, but the figure has 3 flaws, 1 major and 2 minor:
    • Minor flaw - the hips are standard articulation on posts, so they only rotate on a vertical axis instead of splaying outwards, this limits dynamic poses.
    • Minor flaw 2 - all 4 saber hilts are identical.
    • Major flaw - the forearms are a disaster, their attachments to the elbows is a very thin, shallow ball-joint which pops out VERY easily and the hands are so thin and rubbery that the figure can't hold a lightsaber, much less 4.
    The forearm problems are downright depressing, there will be no cool saber poses for Grievous here, even when the front hand can gamely have a saber stay in place for a few moments, the arm is so weak it just droops.

Randy, I think you mean the Clone Trooper is just like the Clone Trooper. Isn't this mostly the same body and armor as the AOTC clone, only with a few changes and different helmet? I can't imagine why Hasbro is making him the 2-per-case, he wasn't selling too well on MM because of that.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Randy, I think you mean the Clone Trooper is just like the Clone Trooper. Isn't this mostly the same body and armor as the AOTC clone, only with a few changes and different helmet? I can't imagine why Hasbro is making him the 2-per-case, he wasn't selling too well on MM because of that.
    Actually, the AOTC Clone Trooper was based on the fat limbed, GIJoe HOF style body and had the "Porkins effect" going for him with the added girth of the armor (just like the POTF2 era 12" Stormy).

This new one however, is based on the more modern style GIJoe body with thinner limbs, which looks much more acurate IMO. Hasbro actually did a very nice job on the ROTS Clone. I'm hoping for some paint variations on this one - I'm a sucker for clones...

---

Sidious is great. He would be fantastic if they actually gave him a shirt instead of a bib , but other than that he's a solid figure. I didn't have any trouble getting him to hold his sabre.

---

On the Grievous figure, I agree with you 100%. He looks great standing there, but Hasbro really screwed the pooch with his forearms. And his paint detail is fairly weak. Ah well, they were close with this one...

I did manage to get him to hold three of his sabres using those little clear rubber bands. He's been stable like this since Saturday afternoon. I'm happy with the way it looks, so no buyers remorse for me on this one. Check it out:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12 Grievous and Palps.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	10752  

Thumbs up Re: Pics of Grievous, CLone, Sidious

I got the one and only 12" General Grevious my local Toys 'R Us had this Sunday. I like the way he looks inside the new ROTS packaging. I may or may not take him out. But, since I'm a collector of the 12" scaled Star Wars figures more than any other Star Wars toys, I usually leave them sealed in their boxes. I did see the Clone Trooper, and one Darth Sidious. Sidious looked better in person than he did on the internet pics I've seen. I'll eventually get them, but I'm glad to have got Grevious first. As an added bonus I got the small new ROTS Clone Trooper for free! Yes, free! The cashier scanned a coupon for me taking off $5.00 off of a purchase of $20.00 or more. This was after a fellow SW fan and TRUs employee found two clone troopers in the back, and brought one up to me! Awesome! Sunday was my birthday too, so that was a great gift!

Good to know about the Clone Trooper, I didn't buy the AOTC version so I didn't know any of that.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Yeah, the new Clone Trooper is completely different than the AOTC one. Its done in the same style as the OTC one. Separate armor pieces for the chest (not just one or two pieces) giving him more movement. His hands are all new, as is (I believe) the rest of his armor. The AOTC Clone 12" figs look like crap compared to this one. His helmet isn't so large on the bottom unlike the AOTC ones. Great figure.

I can get my Sidious to hold his saber find, it's just he's holding it so it's pointing forward, like he's trying to change the channel on his TV with it.

Oh, and my Grievous has gotten so loose so quick, he can't even stand up straight anymore, never mind in a dynamic pose.

Randy