R2-D2 Droid Attack - why didn't Hasbro learn from past mistakes???

I found this figure at WM on Wednesday, was all excited until I opened it and realized it's another crappy action-gimmick-saddled R2 in the style of that Saga flying R2 that everybody hates. To be fair, this R2 is not as bad as that christmas-tree ornament, but it's a lot closer to than than to VOTC or even bar2-D2. The problem with Droid Attack R2 is that he's a gimmick figure, his 3rd leg is permanent AND it sticks out extra long so you can push it in to make the oversized arm sticking out of the top of his dome angle forward slightly. Not only is he sporting a perma-leg, but the outer legs don't even have articulated ankles. The saddest parts are the things they did right like the dome is all-new and done pretty well except for the gimmick hole at the top, and they included leg-jets like those seen in AOTC which can be plugged into the sides of the legs but you still can't angle the ankles or remove the 3rd leg. It's too bad that Hasbro can't get it right, after Flying Brick R2 and Lightsaber of Doom R2, I was hoping they'd move past this sort of thing.

At least the figure comes with a nifty piece of droid parts, and that weird seesaw base which makes no sense yet. Oh, and the arm gimmick turns with the dome, that's kinda neat considering.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Re: R2-D2 Droid Attack - why didn't Hasbro learn from past mistakes???

Great. I had a feeling this R2 was going to turn out to be junk but I was hoping for the best. The unarticulated ankles and fixed 3rd leg pretty much seal the deal for me on this one. One less figure to worry about getting come MM I suppose.

Hey JT, is the oversized arm removable or is that fixed as well?
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

It's removable, it pegs into a hole in the separate-piece circular top door on R2's dome (if you aren't careful, you won't notice that there is a flat in this hole which corresponds to the shape of the arm). The attack action is pretty lame, but does look less stupid when the dome is turned to the side. The dome has a new sculpt, with R2's top eye finally in the right location, and no chrome, and the right shape and size radar eye, so it's tragic that it got wasted on this gimmick figure.

Another thing about R2 is that his legs are a new sculpt, holes in the side to accept the thrusters and the non-articulated feet have the wires sculpted on but in a way that finally lets them look like wires; the feet also have the most accurate sculpt of any R2 figure yet, including VOTC, but the lack of articulation kills that.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the paint is not great, the barrel has some weird paint choices and the lower 2/3rds of his body has this tan overspray which is only interrupted by the pure white separate parts that didn't get painted (this happens to R2 a lot, like his foot pins on previous figs).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I also thought this would be pretty bad. Turns out I was right. I'll still get it, though.

SPOILERS

This figure is okay, but it could've been much better. I'm excited to see how all of his accessories play out in the film. As of right now, they make no sense. I know that he sets off a lot of his parts to distract the SBDs so Ani, Obi, and Palpatine can escape, but I don't know if he actually attacks one of them with his big ol' head-arm. I also don't know, is that protocol droid head supposed to be an unpainted C-3PO?

Any clues as to what the hell his teeter-totter base is supposed to do?
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Was going to buy it today (K-Mart wouldn't let me)and you all are right it looks really bad. I think I will be very picky this time around at MM.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

I am gonna still pick it up for my set.