Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: New Signature Limits

That's what I figured, JT. Thought there had to be a standard "view" or whatever we want to call it in place to judge these signatures on.

See folks, JT's got an explanation for this whole misunderstanding.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    No, it makes sense JBF, and I specifically checked with Steve on that issue of what browser/what screensize do I judge the line size from when we first made this rule, I made sure he was very specific - display size, amount of right gutter showing, browser, everything.

Stilla, it is not my browser, I am set up exactly the way I am supposed to be doing this, precisely how Steve has told me to check for these, so I am not having any sort of problem here, don't talk down to me like I'm a moron because there's no rule that says I have to take disrespectful crap from you or anybody. I am only supposed to apply this rule by how Steve wants it done, and that's how it is.
    Who's talking down to who? I told you repeatedly that I had 5 lines of text and you continued to ignore that as if I was some kind of idiot that couldn't count. I'm telling you that not one of my computers I have ready access to currently show more than 4 lines of text. Unless your's is set up in Reader's Digest Can't See A Thing resolution, I still haven't heard what the difference is between what you are seeing and what my 5 computers are seeing.

So what is this mysterious secret standard we're going by here and explain how my 5 different screens all using expanded (standard) views with Internet Explorer somehow are "wrong" while this "standard" that only you can see is the right one? Without making a trip to your house everytime we want to check formatting, how is anyone else supposed to know if they've broken the rules until you've threatened them?

PS. I've added a screenshot so you can see how some of us view this site.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sigline.jpg  
    Last edited by stillakid; 04-08-2005 at 10:37 PM. Reason: added screenshot

5 monitors in your house stillakid ? Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar
    5 monitors in your house stillakid ? Wow.
    Yeah, I kinda had the same reaction once I started adding them up. My primary desktop has dual monitors running, I have an old laptop always running hooked up to the router, my newer laptop that I use for "remote" locations, and the kid's computer. It's kinda funny when I think about the old days when my dad brought home this "Commodore 64" thingie that we had no idea what to do with. I vaguely recall him mumbling something about recipes. Needless to say, it sat pretty idle. I can't imagine my childhood had it had a computer in it. Probably for the best. My brothers and I spend most of our time playing ball or whatever outside. The only "screen" we had got 3 network channels and PBS if the antennae was adjusted right. The day FOX started broadcasting during primetime on the indy station was like we landed on Mars.

But now, yeah, I've got 4 computers, 5 screens, two tvs, 120 channels, a TIVO, 2 DVD players, 2 VCRs, and a partridge in a pear tree. Okay, no partridge ... or pear tree... but I can find a picture of one if I need to. I'd add a link to it in my sig line, but apparently in some circles, that'd be a 6th line and the whole thing would be deleted.
    Last edited by stillakid; 04-09-2005 at 12:16 AM.

Look, you aren't getting it stilla, you do not tell me how many lines there are, when I tell you there are 5 lines, that is it. This isn't about fitting our forums to suit your needs, this is about what the SirSteve feels is right for the forums as a group. It's my job to make sure the sigs fit within the parameters Steve wants, yours did not - perhaps you have your display set to 1280x720 or your Font Sizing set to smallest view or some other mysterious variables which allows you to see things however they suit your interests, I don't know what settings you use, but when I tell you several that your sig is more than 5 lines, it's because at the levels I am supposed to use to judge this, it is more than 5 lines and your part is to either comply with the rule or risk losing some or all of your signature - it's not up for discussion or bargaining. I don't need to consult you or anybody on this, I'm just supposed to do my job.

Average view, 800x600, "normal" font size, standard forums view with the right gutter showing.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Look, you aren't getting it stilla, you do not tell me how many lines there are, when I tell you there are 5 lines, that is it. This isn't about fitting our forums to suit your needs, this is about what the SirSteve feels is right for the forums as a group. It's my job to make sure the sigs fit within the parameters Steve wants, yours did not - perhaps you have your display set to 1280x720 or your Font Sizing set to smallest view or some other mysterious variables which allows you to see things however they suit your interests, I don't know what settings you use, but when I tell you several that your sig is more than 5 lines, it's because at the levels I am supposed to use to judge this, it is more than 5 lines and your part is to either comply with the rule or risk losing some or all of your signature - it's not up for discussion or bargaining. I don't need to consult you or anybody on this, I'm just supposed to do my job.

Average view, 800x600, "normal" font size, standard forums view with the right gutter showing.
    Oh I get it alright...now. I'm at 1024x768. Calling 800x600 "normal" is pretty random and it might have helped had you said that right away instead of treating me like an idiot that didn't know how to count. As you can see from my attached screenshot, my sig line is still 4 lines and will be forever. I am well within compliance and always have been according to what has been disclosed and when it was disclosed. Perhaps another part of your "job" is to communicate effectively. This:

Up until now, the only limitation on forums signatures has been a set number of characters, however, recently there have been a lot more signatures which have used oversized text or lots of line breaks to take up a lot of space. This situation now requires a new rule on signatures be implimented:

signatures will be limited to 5 lines total including spaces, and no signature may use an overly-large font size.

Different fonts have different sizes, but the general rule of thumb is that size 4 is the top limit.

Any signature breaking the rule may be deleted without warning
    ...says nothing whatsoever about screen resolution. So from my vantage point, I still have 4 lines and am allowed one more. But with this:

...you've either amended the rules or finally communicated them. Either way, it's still not my fault.

it might have helped had you said that right away instead of treating me like an idiot that didn't know how to count
    Well, you make it so easy by being as disrespectful as possible, thus making it very difficult for me to find any reason to give you special treatment. I told you it was 5 lines with wrapping, that's all you needed to know but you acted like you could bargain me into buying your reasoning, maybe you didn't see it that way, but the more you bicker and throw a fit about this, the less likely I am to bother giving you any further assistance beyond what my role here requires - which, again, doesn't require that I take abuse from the likes of you.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Wow and I thought it was going to be me with this problem. Hell if it's so much of a problem, why don't you just remove the sig lines until the hype is over with.

Damn Kid 4 computers? What the hell do you need more that 1 for, ok more that 2? I just got a Broad band router from Vonage for a new phone line and it has 2 open ports for 2 other computers. Kind of made me think about getting another one for my wife so she could leave mine alone.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

Well, you make it so easy by being as disrespectful as possible, thus making it very difficult for me to find any reason to give you special treatment. I told you it was 5 lines with wrapping, that's all you needed to know but you acted like you could bargain me into buying your reasoning, maybe you didn't see it that way, but the more you bicker and throw a fit about this, the less likely I am to bother giving you any further assistance beyond what my role here requires - which, again, doesn't require that I take abuse from the likes of you.
    That sounds like a personal attack. Who do I report that to?

And no, I wasn't trying to "bargain" with you. Where you got that idea is beyond me. I was telling you exactly what I was looking at in front of my face and you refused to believe me. It's your own fault for thinking that I was trying to dodge the rules. And any "bickering" as you put it is a direct result of your own lack of accurate communication about this. Trying to lay the blame on me is really out of hand and I deserve nothing more or less than an apology for your indignant behavior in this matter.

I suppose had I uploaded a screenshot right away, you might have understood the true situation. But because I didn't and didn't fully explain the guidelines until much later, you assumed that I was just after "special treatment" and then proceeded to talk down and insult me.

Meeeeeeeeeeeow.......
    hurray for birthdays!

http://www.myspace.com/MattGush