Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: ROTS Soundtrack out 5/3, includes bonus DVD (merged)

I'll just echo what everyone else said here, adding that "Battle of the Heroes" is so stuck in my head - but I love having it there!

I can whistle the tune already and I like practicing my lightsaber moves with it blaring in the background.

I'm so ready to play Advance-The-Line for ROTS and the soundtrack has been totally cool to help me train with for the past couple of days I've had it.

I've only heard Battle of the Heroes from the music video, and it's not really as poignant as the other main themes from the other films. I know I'll get used to it eventually, and it's good, but it just doesn't jump out at me the way Duel of the Fates and Across the Stars do.

WOW Rocketboy, that's a nice DVD custom cover. Mind if I borrow that from you, too ? I'll PM you my address . . . I was thinking about starting a thread to ask if anybody could make one congruous to the movie inserts because I lack a decent photoediting software but you've already done it !

Nice work, that's awesome.

I finished listening to the soundtrack on Sat. While I wasn't blown away by it, it took me a while to warm up to music from the other prequels and right now I really dig the EP1 CDs. I'm sure once I see the movie once or a few times, the tracks will make more sense and the music, more relevance. Tracks 14 and 15 are just awesome (I won't put spoilers here but the music really lets you into some of the action of the movie, I imagine), but I was disappointed that JW departed from the trend of the previous five end credit music sequences. For the first time we're getting recycled music from another movie outside of the beginning sequence. He has never done that before. Also this one departs from the other 2 prequels in that they end in quiet music rather than the fanfares from 4-6.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

Finally got the time to listen to it today. Overall, I really liked it. I was surprised at how little the "Imperial March" was used The only thing I didn't like was most of track 14 (Since the title is sort of a spoiler I'll call it just that). It sounded like a song from a "Harry Potter" score that couldn't be fit into the movie.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSolo1138
    Finally got the time to listen to it today. Overall, I really liked it. I was surprised at how little the "Imperial March" was used The only thing I didn't like was most of track 14 (Since the title is sort of a spoiler I'll call it just that). It sounded like a song from a "Harry Potter" score that couldn't be fit into the movie.
    The total opposite for me. That was the one track that I thought was outstanding while the others were just OK. Didn't you recognize the dark sounding motif? It was in another SW soundtrack. A nice dichotomy between the it and the lighter sounding portion of 14.

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

How any of you can't rave about "Anakin's Dark Deeds" is beyond me.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandalorian Candidat
    The total opposite for me. That was the one track that I thought was outstanding while the others were just OK. Didn't you recognize the dark sounding motif? It was in another SW soundtrack. A nice dichotomy between the it and the lighter sounding portion of 14.
    Perhaps I was being a bit unfair. I do hear the dark tone to it and I don't hate the song, but the lighter portion in question sounded very Potter-esque.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

I think overall the music sounds like maybe some ideas Williams had for Harry Potter IV ended up in ROTS. I'm not complaining. I love the Harry Potter scores and am hoping whoever does #4 can live up to Williams' legacy.

There's a cool interview with Williams about the ROTS score at Yahoo News.

Quote Originally Posted by John Williams
    I've had a little musical fun with Anakin's theme, which appeared in one of the earlier films.
    So it sounds like there's some great stuff that's not on the CD after all, since I've listened to this several dozen times and haven't heard Anakin's theme yet!!
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    I think overall the music sounds like maybe some ideas Williams had for Harry Potter IV ended up in ROTS. I'm not complaining. I love the Harry Potter scores and am hoping whoever does #4 can live up to Williams' legacy.
    Now that I think more about it, you have Cap'n Solo have some valid points about the HP sound. I complained rather loudly about "Across the Stars" sounding too much like a motif from Hook so I can see some of his newer non-SW music ending up here. Not necessarily intentionally on his part, but just as an extension of his artistic personality.

I really like JW. I dig his music. I like to see him conduct in person, which I've done a handfull of times. I just think he's doing so much that the fantasy/sci-fi tracks he lays down are starting to sound alike. Kind of like Danny Elfman with his Tim Burton movie scores.

I hope this movie has a minimal amount of recycled music, departing from EP2, and has a large amount of original stuff, yet based strongly on the SW tradition he laid down in the OT.