Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation I'm quiting and want to donate my collection to charity

I need advic I am quiting collecting, and I want to donate my toys to a charity, what I cant decide is if I should sell it and give the money or simply donate the toys to a program like toys for tots. I want my collection used to make kids happy which way would any of you go.... Thank you in advance for your help.
    Donald Rumsfeld briefed the President this morning. He told Bush that 3 Brazilian solders were killed in Iraq. all the color drained from Bush's face,visibly shaken, almost in tears. Finally, he composed himself and asked Rumsfeld, "Just exactly how many is a brazillion?

Re: I'm quiting and want to donate my collection to charity

It all depends on how much patience you have. If you want to go through the shipping and packaging of your stuff and you don't mind waiting a bit, I would say yes. Besides, I think charity would appreciate the money more because they could do more with it.

At the same time, if you don't have the energy to do all of the above, then driving down to the goodwill might be a better option. I would know many children would enjoy seeing the multitude of toys we have in our collections.

Whatever you are doing, you are doing a good deed either way.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

I doubt that the toys would sell for what you originally paid for them. If your toys are unopened, I would just give them to toys for tots. I'd donate complete loose toys to Goodwill.

Still if you're just suffering from burn-out, you might want to consider just packing every thing up and putting it into storage. "Out of sight, out of mind." You may come back to the hobby some day and regret giving away your collection.

I have doubles of all the figures from 95-now. open and MOC and I do feel burnout but I dont think I would want to comeback and find out that all I missed are Re-painted and Re-packed figures as the past two years have been.
    Donald Rumsfeld briefed the President this morning. He told Bush that 3 Brazilian solders were killed in Iraq. all the color drained from Bush's face,visibly shaken, almost in tears. Finally, he composed himself and asked Rumsfeld, "Just exactly how many is a brazillion?

While not in the charity frame of mind if you give the toys up to charity then you declare the collections book value rather than the actual cash value as a tax deduction. Now you can always do some of both. Sell the higher priced items/card variations if you have them for the cash and then donate that and the lesser value figures. My thinking is that a kid that can't afford figures is not going to get that excited over an Ephant Mon since he doesn't have the other figures to support it but you could give the money he would get on ebay. On the flip side a POTF2 Han that might go for $2 if your lucky on ebay would be better as a toy since a kid could play with this figure solo. (sorry couldn't help the pun ).
    More is more. Less is less, Twice as much is good too,
    Too much is never enough except when it's just about right.
    People who have helped me out: DarthChuckMc, msjedi, bobafett07728, jjreason, dr_evazan22

I think Dindae has an excellent idea, the ones that you can get a better cash value for, sell on ebay and give that money to a charity, and figures that wouldnt move at all just donate. That way you do a little of both. I applaud you for wanting to help out a worthy cause.
    Good Traders/Sellers: Cameo, Darth Cruel, Sith Killer 99, JJReason, icatch9, ChasingJediDogma, AT-AT Man, JediMasterGuyute, Brainiak76, JangoFett96, njscollectibles, Vulcantouch, AC Pin, TheDarthVader, msjedi, DarthQuack, Roojay

Well I agree it is a noble thing you're attempting to do, however I wouldn't donate any of it to Goodwill. If all you're looking for is a tax write-off then this might be a reasonable option but it sounds like you're more interested in giving your collection to someone who would appreciate it, namely kids. Goodwill will just sell your collection in one of their stores, that is if there is any of it left after their employees rifle through it. Sorry if I sound like I'm bashing Goodwill but I have trouble supporting any supposed "non-profit charity group" that pays it's CEOs a 7 figure salary after bonuses. I'd lean more towards selling your collection yourself and donating it to a cause of your choice or going with the Toys for Tots option with the packaged stuff and giving the loose collection to some other non-profit group that focuses on children. Just my 2 cents though, good luck with whatever option you choose and I'm sorry to hear you're throwing in the towel.
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

Just like that Mina? Man you were buying cases not to long ago. At least it was fun while it lasted right? As long as I get that Hoth Luke error card from you I don't care what you do. J/K I think you should give the figures to Toys for tots. That's the best. Oh and I'm not kidding about the Hoth Luke. LMK
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

Mina,

Sorry to hear you're giving up the chase.

Goodwill and the Salvation Army don't give toys to kids - they sell toys to kids.

In no particular order I would suggest:

Toys for Tots
    Children's hospitals
    Ronald McDonald House
    Children's burn units
    Children's cancer units

Churches, the Shriners and some motorcycle groups also have toys for kids programs.

Hope this helps.
    43 muscles to frown, 17 muscles to smile, but not one single muscle to sit here with a dumb look on my face. Now we're talking efficiency.

I'm not looking for a Tax deduction, but thanks any ways for the advice. I think I will just wait until X-mas this year and donate to toys for tots during the peak of the season. I would donate it to the ronald house ,but having worked for MCD I know that employees will probably pick the best toys for themselves without paying a cent for them no thanks. Toys for tots it is.
    Oh by the by Matt you do get that error luke I did promised to you And You will get it