General Rant and Comments...

So Midnight Madness has once again come and gone and I find myself with a few new figures in my collection. Some I'd say are good, some very good in fact, while are others aren't even reaching par.

First, I've got to complain about the "action features." I thought perhaps the lesson was learned and that we had moved past this. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to go crazy over the issue. Some of them are occasionally tolerable, especially if they're well concealed or out of the figure entirely (i.e. Tarfful's Bowcaster or Yoda's cannon accessory).
    I'm familiar with the "but these are for kids" argument and I disagree with it on a few points. One (and this is point I know a few people agree with me on) kids don't seem to be all that interested in Star Wars anymore. Oh, sure, there are always some, especially in a movie year, but the core constituency is collectors. There were many figures I had to turn away from because I knew the "action feature" was going to hinder the actual toy. And two, even if the toys really are for kids, what makes anyone think that there is a need for "action features" ? I'm only 21, some would still consider me to be a "kid," but back when I was a kid-kid, I don't recall needing action features. They were on figures, sure, but it was something I had to deal with. One of the best figures I ever owned (and one my cousin and I always clamored to have control over) was the multi-jointed Spider-Man from Toy Biz's animated series line. The reason that it was so great was because there was very little limitation with it. You could pose it a number of different ways and actually have it play like Spider-Man would. A great figure with no gimmicks. It was one of those toys that actually let kids play. That's why I like the ROTS Saesee Tiin, Yoda (#3), Luminara Unduli, Count Dooku, etc. Each of them has very minor issues, but I'm thoroughly impressed with all of them.

Next... I'm not too keen on the new packaging. The reason I don't like it is because there is absolutely no comfortable way to hold onto more than a few figures when you're taking them off the shelf. With the POTF 2, Episode 1, POTJ, Saga and OTC packaging, stacking was a breeze.
    And they're not really that easy to open. I cut under a fingernail last night trying to get one open.

I know this next issue is a bit specific, but it was such a let down. What the heck happened to Kit Fisto? As I said in another post on here, it looked worse than a vintage sculpt, hitting along the lines of "Happy Meal pack-in." I was so looking forward to picking that figure up, but once I got up close, I had to pass. I'd really hope that future releases of this figure could somehow be fixed.

Not all of this post is going to be negative. I've got to give credit where credit is due and I have to say that I'm really digging the soft goods. I really didn't mind one way or the other before (plastic or soft goods) as long as it looked all right. But to me, it just seems that on these new figures the material hangs better and just looks a little more realistic. Maybe I'm alone in that sentiment, but I've got to extend my compliments. I look forward to seeing more of it in the future.

End...
    They call them fingers, and yet they don't fing. Noodle that one for a while.
    "Logic dictates we haul @$$." - Mego Spock from Twisted Toyfare Theater; Issue #59

Re: General Rant and Comments...

DAMN STRAIGHT Lman, hasbro say collection 1 is for the kids and collection 2 is for the collectors but do they stop and think that we might want Anakin, Obi-wan and Mace and we might want them not looking like festering turds and we might want them now, not 2 years down the track when they're getting short on ideas but now before they start cranking out endless General Grievous's and Tatooine Lukes.

Agen Kolars removable cloak is a step in the right direction but for the fact he can't move his arms when robed, I think a better idea would have been swapable arms, robed and unrobed...Do it right first time Hasbro, and lets have more big rifles packed in with our clones enough with the weenie pistols...

I was also disheartened when I learned that the action features would be making a return for the ROTS line. However, I took a "wait and see" approach, and it has paid off significantly. These action features, while still useless, do not hinder the majority of the figures I own. There are some turkeys in the batch ("Jedi Kick" Obi-Wan immediately springs to mind), but many of them conceal it well (e.g. - Clonetrooper).

The key factor that separates the atrocious AOTC action features from this ROTS generation is that they don't hinder poseability by and large. My Clonetrooper has excellent articulation. The only drawback the action feature pushed on it is the lack of waist articulation, and that's something I can easily live with.

By no means am I advocating the continuation of these action features. In my opinion, Collection 2 is far better than the Collection 1 line in many respects. The point I'm making is that Hasbro has clearly decided to keep the action features, but they gave collectors what we wanted too. They added articulation while better integrating the gimmicks.

Maybe it's time we cut Hasbro a little slack. Sure there's room for improvement. There always is. But they still gave us figures that are parsecs beyond what we got in 2002, and I'm grateful for that at least.
    "The boy you trained, gone he is...consumed by Darth Vader." - Yoda, Revenge of the Sith

Yodasnews Review Archive: http://www.kid4life.com/yoda2/figurereviews06.htm

Your'e right Sith Lord things have improved, but these are main characters involved here, characters that got no respect in the AOTC line and could be getting a lot more now, after all it's we collectors who give Hasbro our hard earned $ year after year, some decent sculpts of a few main players shouldn't be a big ask.

Mind you it's still early days we might yet be surprised, but I had the same hopes after AOTC

I think we might get better sculpts in the near future. Mustafar Anakin is shaping up to be a very good looking figure. I'll have to reserve judgment on Red Leader Obi-Wan until better pics surface.
    "The boy you trained, gone he is...consumed by Darth Vader." - Yoda, Revenge of the Sith

Yodasnews Review Archive: http://www.kid4life.com/yoda2/figurereviews06.htm

I have a rant about the case assortments..
    Why dont they short pack the figures that they know would pegworm, and "over produce" the figures that would sell good (clones!!!)?
    I also think that they put four seats in the ARC just to make us buy four more figures!
    hurray for birthdays!

http://www.myspace.com/MattGush

I knew I read this thread before, these are all valid points that I've gone and reiterated in my own thread in this section, apologies if it appears I'm trying to claim them as my own. I agree on everything except what you said about Kit Fisto - other than the slightly cartoony face its an excellent figure IMO.

I have found myself hating the ROTS packaging also. As you said its impossible to carry many boxes at once without dropping them as you make your way to the cashdesk and then dropping more as you attempt to pick them up, all the while looking like a complete twat. Also you have to deal with celotape on the cardback and if you're in the EU theres a big sticker that has to come off. Just getting the blister up now takes as much time as it did when you had to either unwind or scissors through twisty ties and elastic to get the figure out. Please Hasbro bring back the old style card and blister fair...oh and the OTC design while you're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by mastermatt24
    I have a rant about the case assortments..
    Why dont they short pack the figures that they know would pegworm, and "over produce" the figures that would sell good (clones!!!)?
    I also think that they put four seats in the ARC just to make us buy four more figures!
    Right on to all of the above.
    AT-TE gunner-why not 4 per case?
    ARC- good point, just mentioned that the other day to SL 0498. One needs FIVE of the Clone Pilot just to outfit both a Gunship and a ARC ship. Hasbro should put those at 4-6 a case, if not block ship 'em!!!
    Don't get me started on the case assortments for #41-44-those are going to be a treat to find this month(MAY)...

Quote Originally Posted by Sith Lord 0498
    I think we might get better sculpts in the near future. Mustafar Anakin is shaping up to be a very good looking figure. I'll have to reserve judgment on Red Leader Obi-Wan until better pics surface.
    The only real problem I have with that Anakin is that he won't burn. They could've made him outta asbestos .

Good point. Sculpting should be 4/5 stars from now on at least, for example, the Evolutions look VOTC-top notch. It's just the case assortment, restocks, store distribution, Amazon.com in stock ratios, OMGCNFO.com in stock amounts, and prices at Bryan's that need fixing!