Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Revenge of the Sith Novelization (Spoilers)

Ok, do not, I REPEAT DO NOT, waste your money on this. If you want to be spoiled, get the graphic novel. It will be a more in depth look at the movie in 96 pages than over 350 pages in the hardcover.

Some of the glaring flaws

1) When Order 66 is given by Palpatine, the graphic novel and movie previews show a bunch of different Jedi and hint at the outcomes. The book sums all of them up in less than 1 sentence, and not even by name.

2) The movie and graphic novel, as well as the toys, indicate the story will take part on Kashyyyk for some of it, especially with Yoda and Chewbacca. This is a two part reason, to show Yoda's true mastery of the Force, as well as introduce Chewbacca into the story. The book portrays Yoda on Kashyyyk as an afterthought and Chewbacca and Tarrful are in no way mentioned in this book at all.

The only good part about the book was the fight between General Grievous and Obi Wan Kenobi, as that was like the only non-Anakin chapter of the whole thing. While I realize this story is about the final turning of Anakin Sywalker to Darth Vader, the book was 90% focused on him, and 10% focused on how other characters view or act with him. I do not feel Lucas wrote the story this way, and I still have great faith in the movie to be the blockbuster and story we all hope it will be. I just feel this author has no concept how to write a movie adaptation.

Re: Revenge of the Sith Novelization (Spoilers)

One thing this guy is good at is writing graphic death scenes. There is one instance where a Jedi is decapitated and his headless body just stands there and it states that "gasping sounds escaped from his trachea" or something like that. Gruesome.
    [FONT=Arial Black]"I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERF***ER!!!!!"[/FONT]
    [FONT=Impact]Awesome Traders: JON9000, darkagent[/FONT]

I bought the novel and love the idea of a different perspective like that. The eye candy of the Jedi murders will come across great onscreen so I'll be glad to see it there but if Stover is able to get into these characters' heads a bit more, I'm looking forward to it.

I'm up to Chapter 11 in the novel. I just finishing reading the scene where Palpatine tells Anakin that he wants him to be his personal representative on the Jedi Council (and no that's not a spoiler unless you're hiding in a corner every time the theatrical trailer appears )

Overall, I think it is an interesting read with some terrific insight into the characters BUT...

Matthew Stover, at least in this book, has a very repetitive and frustrating style. He overuses his literary devices. I read ahead to the end of the book, and I absolutely loved the awakening of Vader scene because it opened and closed with "This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker forever." I thought "D*mn, that is a great bookending line!!!"

Little did I realize that I would also find:

"This is Anakin Skywalker..."

"This is Padme Amidala..."

"This is Count Dooku..."

"This, then, is Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi..."

Enough with the introductions already. They are used too much!!!

Furthermore, the scene-skipping approach I took before actually committing to reading the novel straight through revealed another frustration. I am so sick of reading about Mace and his "shatterpoints." Darth Alex, who has already read it cover-to-cover, informed me that the book is filled with them.

Matthew Stover, look, we know you wrote "Shatterpoint" also. You don't need to keep reminding us, OK?? Thank you.

All right...that about does it for my soap box. Thank you for reading, and please don't be overly offended and defensive toward me if you disagree.

It's just that...well it's my "shatterpoint."

Just kidding
    "The boy you trained, gone he is...consumed by Darth Vader." - Yoda, Revenge of the Sith

Yodasnews Review Archive: http://www.kid4life.com/yoda2/figurereviews06.htm

I haven't read Shatterpoint so hopefully for me it won't be too repetitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar
    I haven't read Shatterpoint so hopefully for me it won't be too repetitive.

Shatterpoint wasn't the greatest story. It could've been trimmed down by 50 - 75 pages and been better.

I skimmed the last few pages and read the last page of ROTS when I came across the book at the WM tent sale. The story ended as I thought/hoped it would.

I'll read it after seeing the movie.

It just sucks that James Luceno didn't write the ROTS novel. Now that's a guy who knows how to write a good Star Wars story.

I generally disagree. So far, I have very much enjoyed the novel. The Dooku/Anakin battle is MUCH more greatly detailed. We also get to know Grievous a little better. And I like the introductions. It gives a little pause between the action to give us just a little insight about the characters. While I understand how it is frustrating that Kashyyyk is barely mntioned, and not many Jedi deaths are mentioned by name, I think it does a good job of relaying the bulk of the story. You gotta leave SOMETHING to be seen in the movie, right?
    "Sometimes we are lucky enough to know our lives have been changed, to discard the old and embrace the new and run headlong down an immutable course."
    ~ Jacques Cousteau
    Great Traders: CowherPower

I just finished the novel, and I don't think it's anywhere NEAR as bad as you say it is, yoda83. The only flaws are, as you said, the Jedi purge cutback and the absence of Kashyyyk. But the rest of the novel is pretty damn good. Big chunks of it are nonstop action or exciting dialogue with a lot of tension that you can't put the book down. But I think that the whole Utapau chapter is one of the highlights of the book, as are the last two chapters.

One thing I was sick of was Anakin and Padme's constant lovey dovey pet names. Every two paragraphs, you saw the words "my love". Give it a rest, Stover! We know they're in love! We don't need you to celebrate it!

But for the record, I am now reading the Junior Novelization just so I can get a deep feel for the Kashyyyk sequences, because the comic book cheaps out on those as well.

I agree with GG here. The novel wasn't bad. In fact I rather liked the way the author put you inside peoples heads:

This is what it is like to be Anakin Skywalker at this moment!

My favorite was at the end This is what it's like to be Anakin Skywalker....for the rest of his life!!!

This guy did some things really well, the death scenes, the amputations and the way he brought out the "brotherhood" and friendship between Anakin and Obi-Wan. It was actually the first time I felt like there was a real connection between them. All the others made it feel forced. Pardon the pun. It was the little things like "twinkle in his eye" and so forth that brough these character to life. Sure he over did it a bit with Anakin and Padme' but that's not too surprising.

I was a little disappointed with the lack of detailed fighting after "Order 66" and it would have been nice to read about the big confrontation on Kashyyyk, but the author wanted to keep the momentum going, I can live with it.

Overall I really enjoyed the book. I do however suggest everyone stay away from the audiobook. The reader was horrible, I mean BAD, ripping out Amidala and Yoda impressions...I still shudder when I thing about it.

BTW, my favorite death scene was Count Dooku!
    May the force be with you.