Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A long time ago...

Just how long ago was "a long time ago?" Millennia? Aeons?

I read somewhere a long time ago that the events in Star Wars are based on the passive observations of C-3PO and R2-D2, who just happened to be there doing the jobs they do while galactic events unfolded around them. The stories we know from this time period are really historical accounts recorded by these two droids.

Based on that idea, I thought a long time ago that R2 and 3PO had been built and were in service for years prior to the Clone Wars. So the fall of the Old Republic, the tragic tale of its Jedi Knight protectors, the story of the Skywalker family, and the rise and fall of the Empire were taken from the memory banks of R2 and 3PO at the time of or after their eventual deactivation.

Alas, we learned, not such a long time ago, that Anakin Skywalker constructed the protocol droid C-3PO for his mother Shmi. And R2-D2 was just another anonymous astromech in the service of a peaceful monarch on an outlying world. So much for the romanticized view of R2 and 3PO plying the galaxy together for a millennia.

I think it would have been neat had Lucas begun Episode I with a prologue that the sheds light on the time frame of "a long time ago," or at least the sources of the historical events we bear witness on screen. I’ve never considered Star Wars to be even remotely connected with Earth, unless the films were set eons in our own future, long after humans could be found throughout the galaxy and not confined to just one planet. Of course, "in a galaxy far, far away" precludes any Earth connection to the events of Star Wars anyway.

A possible prologue to Episode I could have been set in the "present day" at an archaeological dig on some desolate planet. At the site, two rusted-out husks that we barely recognize as R2 & 3PO are unearthed. The two ancient droids are carefully recovered and removed to a field laboratory. A dusty, scruffy, bearded academic in fedora and leather jacket carefully reactivates them in an attempt to access their memory banks. Eureka! Although much of the data is corrupted or lost, enough information can be retrieved to reconstruct this ancient period of a long time ago.

Re: A long time ago...

The "A Long Time Ago..." thing was only to give the saga a fairy tale type of feel.
    There has never been (or ever will, I assume) an answer to when the films take place.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Well yeah, I realize "a long time ago" is the modern equivalent to "once upon a time," but have you never speculated on just exactly when a long time ago really was?

I think I heard somewhere that "Along time ago" takes place millions of years before our present time. Or at least something to that effect.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Its in the past, let it be...
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I think it would be before Christ .Wait no Jesus is a lone Jedi from another galaxy. yes master Jesus of the Jedi order came to earth looking to find force sensitive children to steal and make them Jedi's.

[QUOTE=Ji'dai]Just how long ago was "a long time ago?" Millennia? Aeons?

I read somewhere a long time ago that the events in Star Wars are based on the passive observations of C-3PO and R2-D2, who just happened to be there doing the jobs they do while galactic events unfolded around them. The stories we know from this time period are really historical accounts recorded by these two droids.

Based on that idea, I thought a long time ago that R2 and 3PO had been built and were in service for years prior to the Clone Wars. So the fall of the Old Republic, the tragic tale of its Jedi Knight protectors, the story of the Skywalker family, and the rise and fall of the Empire were taken from the memory banks of R2 and 3PO at the time of or after their eventual deactivation.
    QUOTE]

Yeah, the droids were supposed to be like the passive narrators of the saga. Another alteration of the story we see in the prequels. Another reason the prequels never felt right. It really would have been neat if they'd stuck to that. At least don't make 3PO the work of Anakin! Although unrelated, one burning question I've always had is when exactly does 3PO learn all these millions of forms of communication. He is built out of junk by a 7 year old and never showcases any functionality at all throughout episodes I or II. Instead of being a completely worthless prop shoehorned in to remind us that it is a star wars movie. It would have been neat to see the droid pair serve some function for diplomats (perhaps the Organa family) of the republic. I figured 3PO's translating skills would have really been vert helpful somewhere in the senate.

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar
    Yeah, the droids were supposed to be like the passive narrators of the saga. Another alteration of the story we see in the prequels. Another reason the prequels never felt right. It really would have been neat if they'd stuck to that.
    Not really. The only time during the OT that we are seeing the story through the eyes of the droids is the first half of ANH. After they go to Mos Eisley, it's no longer told through their eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar
    Although unrelated, one burning question I've always had is when exactly does 3PO learn all these millions of forms of communication. He is built out of junk by a 7 year old and never showcases any functionality at all throughout episodes I or II. Instead of being a completely worthless prop shoehorned in to remind us that it is a star wars movie. It would have been neat to see the droid pair serve some function for diplomats (perhaps the Organa family) of the republic. I figured 3PO's translating skills would have really been vert helpful somewhere in the senate.
    As seen in the newest season of the Clone Wars, Threepio is of the service of Padme so that seems to be a good place for him to be downloaded with the 6 million forms of communications.
    Ah, good...here comes the Air Force with those new round planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial Monarche
    Not really. The only time during the OT that we are seeing the story through the eyes of the droids is the first half of ANH. After they go to Mos Eisley, it's no longer told through their eyes.
    In Return of the Jedi, 3PO, with a little help from R2, briefs the Ewoks on the struggle against the Empire. So the droids were aware of the adventures of their human companions if they weren't always around them. The droids may not always be on screen or a part of the central narrative, but the narrative itself comes from them.

This idea that the droids were the central characters of the story comes from Lucas himself. I knew I had read this interpretation somewhere and I found it last night. There's an interview with Lucas in the Empire Strikes Back theatre program guide where he states this.

"I love machines. I love Gadgets. It's fun to be able to make little gadgets that work. I think part of it with Star Wars was that robots had always been bad and I decided to make them good and make them the main characters of the film. When I started it was an outrageous idea. Everybody thought that I was crazy because in the beginning the robots were really much more central characters than they are now.

All my friends said, 'Oh boy, cold robots. You're never going to get any emotion,' all that kind of thing. So I was eventually intimidated into putting them further into the background, but still making them central characters.

Ultimately, in the complete saga, they're really the only characters that follow all the way through because it's really their adventure in the end - though most people don't know that yet. They will find out eventually but it will take a number of years before it finally becomes evident that the story is from their point of view."

Don't forget, Lucas also once said that Star Wars is a nine part saga.

Like many writers, his story and ideas change as they progress.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!