Weekly Review: Cantina Adventure Set

This week ends the year 1978 (and you thought it was 2005). The last playset of the was a Sears exclusive, the Cantina Adventure Set. The playset was little more than a cardboard backdrop with foot pegs and a vehicle to sell four new figures. The figure were Greedo, Hammerhead, Walrus Man and Snaggletooth (we start back with the figures next week). The set is notable because the first release in 1978 included a tall blue Snaggletooth. For the '79 release the shorter red version was included.

Let's face it this is not one of the better playsets Kenner made. In fact it's down right lame. From my point of view it was just a way for Sears/Kenner to sell four figures at an inflated price. Cantina Adventure Set? What a name. The backdrop looks more like a Mos Eisley street rather than the Cantina. The only thing that really makes this set worth buying is blue Snaggletooth. The other figures are ok, but widely available elsewhere. So the backdrop is silly without the blue Snaggletooth and the blue Snaggletooth is silly without the backdrop. Or at least that my opinion.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Re: Weekly Review: Cantina Adventure Set

SOrry thought I had this one. I had the Creature Cantina, not the Sears Exclusive.
    Last edited by Kidhuman; 04-17-2005 at 11:59 PM.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I didn't get this Cantina playset or the plastic one. A school friend had the blue Snaggletooth so I knew he had been made but I never got one. Since my figures needed a place to get a bite to eat and hoist a few I often had a cantina of my own creation set up in my room. I usually built my cantina out of those wooden blocks with the alphabet on them. It was mainly just the outline of the building; I just imagined it had external walls and a roof. Now that I think about it, I had tons of Lincoln logs but I'm not sure why I didn't just use those. I didn't use LEGO since it would've have taken more bricks than I had to make a something in scale for SW figures.
    Last edited by Ji'dai; 04-17-2005 at 11:58 PM. Reason: north central positronic pc acting up...

Ha, I used this set alongside my sister's barbie airplane set. It was similar in the fact that it was pretty much just a backdrop but the barbie one outdid the star wars cantina because it was cardboard covered with a vinyl picture and therefore more durable to play with.

I still have all the figures that came with it but as LS points out, this set was pretty lame because I obviously played with it but not enough to remember what ever happened to it?? I wouldn't mind having it now though, I could just set it up and display it.
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Ji'dai
    I didn't use LEGO since it would've have taken more bricks than I had to make a something in scale for SW figures.
    Now what why you use Duplos for the big scale stuff and legos for the small scale. It pretty easy to build SW scale with just a few Duplo bricks and use Lego bricks in the high detail areas.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Quote Originally Posted by LusiferSam
    Now what why you use Duplos for the big scale stuff and legos for the small scale. It pretty easy to build SW scale with just a few Duplo bricks and use Lego bricks in the high detail areas.
    I've never had Duplo bricks, but yeah, you're right. My first LEGO were the Universal and LEGOLAND sets with the basic bricks. I would never have asked for Duplo anyway since they're a baby's toy.

Guess my folks weren't Sears shoppers 'cause I never had this one. I had the plastic burnt orange one sans figures. It was a better playset, but I'd sure like to have a blue Snaggletooth right now.

Sy Snootles lip synchs

Never had either so I never had a chance to play with it. Do have one now with box. Not as bad as one might think. Had places to recreate the cantina sequences for the most part.

Biggest obvious plus was the Blue Snag with the Sears exclusive. Did 'obtain' one during my childhood days because I thought he was cool. Red Snag is and will always be lame to me.

This is one of the Kenner Konfusions for me, as they made some similar vehicles and playsets (Cantina Adventure Set/Creature Cantina, Imperial Cruiser/Troop Transporter, Hoth Ice Planet Action Playset/Imperial Attack Base, et al) by name. I knew of one person who had it, and saw his Blue Snaggs as proof. That figure was the only draw for me; I found one about 10 years later at a collectibles shop.
    "That's what Sheev said."

This is one of those items I never knew existed until I regained interest in the hobby in the mid nineties. I saw one at a comics shop and couldn't understand how something so sucky could be so expensive. I finally found out about blue Snaggs a few years later.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car