Talking TRU Window Boxes

As many of you may have begun to notice the Star Wars window boxes at TRU are being changed out from the classic trilogy to the ROTS line.

This change has brought 2 very interesting things to light that, as a LEGO merchandiser and avid SW fan, I feel it is my resposabilaty to share with my fellow collectors.

1) the classic trilogy peices are to be "disposed of as the store deems fit to" they do not have to be thrown away, as some managers believe, many times local stores give them to employees or hold raffles.

2)The first batch of ROTS boxes are very poorly packed and are being utterly destroyed in shipping, I have seen them where all the ships are destroyed (and since they were glued together the peices are broken) the Turbo tank ripped from it's wheels ...etc. these also have been deemed "dispose as you see fit" and new ones are sent.... this is of interest because there are a couple ships, The ARC-170 and Droid Tri-Fighter, which are tie wrapped to the side of the box and wrapped in packing material and therefore undamaged.

The point here is ASK YOUR LOCAL TRU MANAGER, alot of this stuff is dumpster bound and it doesn't have to be I have a few here in Cincy that are holding things if local customers/employees don't want them I will get them next time I come around.

Just a Heads UP!!
    [b][i]"[font=Comic Sans MS]May your next great adventure involve a [color=darkorange]Gungan,[/color] two [color=seagreen]Ewoks [/color]and Pauley Shore."[/font][/i][/b]

Re: TRU Window Boxes

Wow this is a great tip-ill be calling my TRU right after i write this message

As for waht you said about the boxes of LEGO sets being destroyed during shipment, at MM at WM they just brought out all the lego sets that they had, and i noticed some of the bigger sets' boxes were totally ripped.
    [font=Fixedsys][]V[][/font][font=Fixedsys]oul[]V[]an[/font]

http://www.FreePSPs.com/?r=18202513

Ooh, very tempting. I will check this out immediately.

Moulman, when I was checking out the ROTS sets back in March when I had the opportunity, I noticed a lot of the packaging was thinner than the usual Lego fare and suffered a LOT of glue failures (I had also noticed this months earlier on the 2 sets from the '05 Alpha Team line, but those were even worse really). Seems like Lego needs to fix this problem in their packaging department post-haste.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by DanbtheSithLord
    1) the classic trilogy peices are to be "disposed of as the store deems fit to" they do not have to be thrown away, as some managers believe, many times local stores give them to employees or hold raffles.
    I'm not sure if this assessment is accurate. I stopped off at a TRU duing MM and was talking with THE manager (not some underling) about the new Lego SW diorama setup. I was kidding with him that his employees didn't know how to put the sets together because the OT and EP3 sets had major screwups in the construction. He commented that Lego makes them, glues them together, ships them to the stores, and pulls them once a new line is introduced. I bugged him about letting me have one of the ships from the old setup and he said that on no uncertain terms could they do that--they had to send it back.

The following Saturday I was dinking around at that same store and saw a Lego rep carrying it from the back room and taking it out to her car. I asked her about it and she said (very nicely) that they have to send them back to Lego who will then most likely donate them to a kids hospital or some charity. I don't think either she or the manager were blowing smoke, since both told me the same thing and were both really nice about it (they didn't blow me off at all).

If you can get one, great, but don't be surprised if you're turned down.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

Owell, its better they go to people who actually need them, not saying any of us couldnt benefit from another Falcon

I just got back from TRU and would absolutely kill to have the window box with the Turbo Tank, ARC, etc. That's the first time I've seen that particular one and, like all of the LEGO window boxes, it looks really nice. I also would've loved to have the last one with the Falcon.

I have also seen the window box with the mini sets on Ebay recently.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

I wouldn't mind having the display box but since the sets are usually glued together I wouldn't want them. I drool over the store fixtures TRU gets more than the toys inside them sometimes.

I was almost tempted to loosen the display of the mini vehicles, and walk out of the store with it. Then the little Angel leaped up on my shoulder, and beat me senseless until I came to the conclusion that stealing is bad.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Quote Originally Posted by bobafrett
    I was almost tempted to loosen the display of the mini vehicles, and walk out of the store with it. Then the little Angel leaped up on my shoulder, and beat me senseless until I came to the conclusion that stealing is bad.
    darn, the devil must of been caught in a traffic jam or something

Quote Originally Posted by bobafrett
    I forgot about the MINI window box. Ours had the stupid AT-ST head detatched from the legs just flopping around the box.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas