Dooku's own Agenda

The scene when Dooku & Kenobi (captured) were taking it seems that Dooku had his own agenda to be the new Sith Lord Master & have Kenobi as his apprentice? Was that Dooku's plan? thx.

Re: Dooku's own Agenda

Of course he had a plan to take over! That's what being a Sith Apprentice is all about.

Dooku left the Jedi Order and turned to the ways of the Sith, I think, with good intentions in mind. But you know what they say about the road to Hell. By AOTC, he may think he's still a nice guy, but he's twisted and evil. Part of being a Sith Lord is a lust for power. Dooku would like nothing more than to replace Sidious as the master, likely with Obi-Wan (or possibly Anakin) as his apprentice. It's the same as when Vader confronts Luke on Bespin. The only reason we didn't see the same thing happen with Maul is that Maul was, well, too stupid to care about power. I doubt Sidious ever had serious plans about using Maul as anything but a weapon. With Dooku and later Anakin, Sidious has a partner in crime, albeit one he has to keep on a short leash.

Dooku also thought that, if Obi-Wan weren't moved by his speech about corruption and what Qui-Gon would have done, the Jedi would never believe what he said. He's hiding behind the truth, because his foes would never expect him to use the truth to convert others to evil. (If you go by the Expanded Universe, it's not until three years later--just prior to ROTS--that a recorded message from Sidious to Nute Gunray falls into the Jedi's hands and they realize there really is a Darth Sidious in a higher position of power than they thought possible.)
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    Of course he had a plan to take over! That's what being a Sith Apprentice is all about.

Dooku left the Jedi Order and turned to the ways of the Sith, I think, with good intentions in mind. But you know what they say about the road to Hell. By AOTC, he may think he's still a nice guy, but he's twisted and evil. Part of being a Sith Lord is a lust for power. Dooku would like nothing more than to replace Sidious as the master, likely with Obi-Wan (or possibly Anakin) as his apprentice. It's the same as when Vader confronts Luke on Bespin. The only reason we didn't see the same thing happen with Maul is that Maul was, well, too stupid to care about power. I doubt Sidious ever had serious plans about using Maul as anything but a weapon. With Dooku and later Anakin, Sidious has a partner in crime, albeit one he has to keep on a short leash.

Dooku also thought that, if Obi-Wan weren't moved by his speech about corruption and what Qui-Gon would have done, the Jedi would never believe what he said. He's hiding behind the truth, because his foes would never expect him to use the truth to convert others to evil. (If you go by the Expanded Universe, it's not until three years later--just prior to ROTS--that a recorded message from Sidious to Nute Gunray falls into the Jedi's hands and they realize there really is a Darth Sidious in a higher position of power than they thought possible.)
    Oh yeah, thx for the explaination.

Ever since I first saw AOTC I have always seen that particular scene in the same light as the aformentioned Luke/Vader come with me scene on Bespin. I believe Dooku was sincere in his bid to have Ben come with him but not to destroy the Sith but to become one.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Dooku is definitely trying to lure Obi-Wan into joining with him, suggesting that even Qui-Gon would have done so. Dooku probably believes much of what he tells Kenobi about the corruption and inefficacy of the Republic.

He may even believe the Jedi have evolved into boorish bureaucrats rather than the Knight Protectors of old. Maybe that's why he left the Jedi Order. He probably willingly joined Sidious as a way to combat these things, not realizing the extent of the Dark Side. The Dark Side offers great power that is "faster, easier, quicker" but attempting to wield that power even for good might lead to disastrous results.

We don't really know that much about the Dark Side of the Force from the films, other than the "negative" emotions (anger, fear, hatred, aggression) lead down that dark path. EU sources are filled with Light Side Jedi that try to "infiltrate" the Dark Side in order to learn more about it's mysteries and/or defeat it, but that path is often only a one-way journey. Not many Jedi are able to escape once within the Dark Side's grasp.

Ok so...how bout this- Did Obi-wan make the right choice in outrightly refusing to join Dooku? Strategically wouldn't it have been a good move to at least imply that he would consider it? If he was convincing and if Dooku genuinely had plans against Sidious, Dooku might have revealed everything to Obi-wan in greater detail than the teasers he gave him in that scene. The clone wars might have been prevented. Together they might indeed have prevented Palpatine coming to power. And why was never a thought given to bringing Dooku back to the good side? Or is all this easy to speculate about given that we know whats going to happen but Obi-wan didn't?