Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 76
  1. #1

    Owen was always Anakin's brother.

    Well, not if you count the ROTJ novelization but follow me here . . .

    Okay first of all I meant to dig up an old thread but I CAN'T find it, it's called something to the effect of "Do you like the change in Owen and Obi-Wan's relationship?" Anyway I am starting a new thread in its stead.

    The idea was brought up in this thread
    http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/sho...064#post391064
    but it's not exactly fitting with the TPM thread so I'll bring it over here since it deals with AOTC but especially the OT. Growing up I "knew" from the ROTJ novelization that Owen was Obi-Wan's brother so I always watched the OT from that POV . . . but you know what, I'm one person out of a handful who saw it that way.

    The VAST number of audience members saw the OT and never had a clue that those 2 old dudes were supposed to be brothers . . . yet now that AOTC has come along and done away with it, showing Owen to actually be Anakin's step-brother (and certainly more fitting of the term "uncle" than Obi's brother would be ), I wonder why does it NOW become an issue.

    And don't say that it's because the novelization solved the problem. Remember, most people didn't even know about it then and they still don't. Going by what we see ONSCREEN, we have NO reason to believe that Anakin was not Owen's brother. None at all.

    So why after AOTC came out is it suddenly a valid criticism to ask WTF was up with that, why Vader wouldn't "look" for Luke there on Tatooine ? (I, for the record, don't think it matters one bit because as far as I can tell, Vader thinks he has no kids so why would he bother going there anyway? ).

    So why didn't people question this in 1983 when ROTJ came out and Vader's identitity was confirmed ? I know they didn't have an internet to spread the news from the novelization, so I'm pretty sure that most people weren't aware that Owen was Obi-Wan's brother.

  2. #2

    Re: Owen was always Anakin's brother.

    Originally Posted by Caesar
    Gotta disagree with you stillakid on account of this technicality:

    yes the novelization expanded things to show us that Owen was Obi-Wan's brother but to the 99.5% of the audience who never read the book and never even heard about the connection, Owen was Luke's "uncle" plain and simple. Just about everybody in the audience could assume that it was a real uncle because there is nothing onscreen to dispute it.

    I'll dig up an old thread more germaine to the Owen/Obi-Wan thing and continue there.
    Naturally, I disagree.

    Why? Because of this statement:


    BEN
    Hmm. To protect you both from the Emperor,
    you were hidden from your father when you
    were born. The Emperor knew, as I did, if
    Anakin were to have any offspring, they would
    be a threat to him. That is the reason why
    your sister remains safely anonymous.
    While not an in-your-face statement, the only clear inference one should take from this is that Owen is not really Luke's uncle primarily because it should be more than evident that Obi Wan would NOT hide the potential savior of the galaxy in a place with a man that Anakin would be aware of so personally. It would be like hiding the Bush daughters with Jeb in Florida the next time the law is looking for them for drug violations. Not even W. would be that moronic (...or maybe he would be? ) But apparently, according to the GL Prequels, Obi Wan is that stupid.

    Leia being hidden with a completely unrelated family on a totally different planet tells us that Obi Wan and Yoda knew that they had to keep the children very secret while at the same time placing them in a position in which their superpowers might become useful at some later point. Leia was set up in the diplomatic arena where she might be able to work her magic from inside the system. They dropped Luke in a non-assuming dustbowl where the bad guys would never think to look if they ever found out about the children in the first place. From there, presumably, Ben could train Luke before launching that weapon toward the Empire from the outside. With two Skywalker's attacking both from within and without, the chances of success would double. Even the choice of last names tells us quite clearly what the intention was. Leia being "hidden" in plain view required that she take on a new name, Organa. Luke's hiding place was presumed to be so back-water that his last name could remain "Skywalker." That alone would tell us that Owen and Luke are not related. In order for that to be true, Beru would have had to be the natural relative of Luke, meaning that Anakin would have been Beru's brother. We know that isn't true either according to the GL Prequels. So there is still no way to reconcile the new continuity and support the idea that Obi Wan had any intention to actually hide Luke Skywalker safely.

    All of that would be for naught if A) the bad guys ever found out about the children, and B) if the bad guys knew where to look for them. As for "A", we'll have to wait for ROTS to see if Lucas is stupid enough to have Anakin know about the pregnancy before he goes off to become Darth Vader. As for "B," he already blew that one with I and II by originating Ani' on Tatooine along with the notion of marrying Shmi off to the Lars family. Dumb dumb dumb.

    But to your original assertion that 95% of the people think (thought)

    Just about everybody in the audience could assume that it was a real uncle because there is nothing onscreen to dispute it.

    that is false to anyone really paying attention to the story. Audiences have become too lazy and expect every drop of information to be spoon-fed to them. The story in between the lines tells us very clearly that "Uncle" Owen isn't an uncle at all, but a necessary surrogate in order to protect Luke from being discovered. The logic of the entire situation tells us this. Well, at least that's the way it was supposed to be.

  3. #3

    Re: Owen was always Anakin's brother.

    There was also a line in one of the Jedi Apprentice books: "He remembered: Owen was his brother's name!" That was Obi-Wan thinking, shortly after a failed attempt to brainwash him.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

  4. #4

    Re: Owen was always Anakin's brother.

    Just a quick thought. Any chance that it just matters that the Emporer doesnt know about Padme's pregnancy? I wonder if Vader does know about Luke, or has some idea about Luke but protects him from the emporer. I would believe that. Obviously, there is no way to get any of this into the movie as it would have to be in the OT. But I just thought, its kind of cool to think that. I dont know. Im just brainstorming

  5. #5

    Re: Owen was always Anakin's brother.

    Quote Originally Posted by stillakid
    While not an in-your-face statement, the only clear inference one should take from this is that Owen is not really Luke's uncle primarily because it should be more than evident that Obi Wan would NOT hide the potential savior of the galaxy in a place with a man that Anakin would be aware of so personally. It would be like hiding the Bush daughters with Jeb in Florida the next time the law is looking for them for drug violations. Not even W. would be that moronic (...or maybe he would be? ) But apparently, according to the GL Prequels, Obi Wan is that stupid.
    Meh, it's not a big deal if Anakin doesn't know that his kid is alive or even exists. Bush is a poor example because in that case the feds are already looking for the Bush gals.

    Quote Originally Posted by stillakid
    Leia being hidden with a completely unrelated family on a totally different planet tells us that Obi Wan and Yoda knew that they had to keep the children very secret while at the same time placing them in a position in which their superpowers might become useful at some later point. Leia was set up in the diplomatic arena where she might be able to work her magic from inside the system. They dropped Luke in a non-assuming dustbowl where the bad guys would never think to look if they ever found out about the children in the first place. From there, presumably, Ben could train Luke before launching that weapon toward the Empire from the outside.
    Right. Ben was there to watch over Luke, something he did not do for Leia. Ben is there to keep an eye on Luke so whether his name is Skywalker or Tinkywinky, Ben is there to keep an eye out if Vader shows up.

    Even the choice of last names tells us quite clearly what the intention was. Leia being "hidden" in plain view required that she take on a new name, Organa. Luke's hiding place was presumed to be so back-water that his last name could remain "Skywalker." That alone would tell us that Owen and Luke are not related. In order for that to be true, Beru would have had to be the natural relative of Luke, meaning that Anakin would have been Beru's brother. We know that isn't true either according to the GL Prequels. So there is still no way to reconcile the new continuity and support the idea that Obi Wan had any intention to actually hide Luke Skywalker safely.
    What was Owen and Beru's last name again ? Lars ? Okay, then where on screen during ANH do we find that information ? We don't. You're going offscreen to cite a different last name when there is no mention of it in the film.

    Quote Originally Posted by stillakid
    All of that would be for naught if A) the bad guys ever found out about the children, and B) if the bad guys knew where to look for them. As for "A", we'll have to wait for ROTS to see if Lucas is stupid enough to have Anakin know about the pregnancy before he goes off to become Darth Vader. As for "B," he already blew that one with I and II by originating Ani' on Tatooine along with the notion of marrying Shmi off to the Lars family. Dumb dumb dumb.
    EPISODE 3 SPOILERS . . . .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .


    as for "A" yes Anakin does know about the pregnancy. That is confirmed. What I'm not sure of yet is if Anakin knows that the baby lived through childbirth but since he knows that Padme died, I am expecting that he believes the child dead as well (he doesn't know about the twin). ESB DVD Redux hints at this when Palps says the rebel is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker and Vader asks how is that possible, so I believe that Anakin thinks the kid died with Padme. That is, at least, until the kid blows up the Death Star and Vader gets the jump on Palpatine in searching for him.

    as for "B" why the **** would Obi-Wan bother to put the kid with his own brother who doesn't like him when he could just raise the kid himself ? Instead he just dumped the kid off with the closest relation (not counting Leia, of course ).

  6. #6

    Re: Owen was always Anakin's brother.

    Good questions, all. Allow me to address them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Caesar
    Meh, it's not a big deal if Anakin doesn't know that his kid is alive or even exists.
    Not a big deal?! Of course it's a big deal. If Anakin knows that that he has offspring, then he can assume that it too would be chock full o' Midichlorians and would likely want to keep that child close. Why? One of two reasons. The first is that if the kid is close by, then Vader could "educate" the child as to Vader's point of view toward the galaxy and have a father and son business later on, either after Palps dies of natural causes or when they decide to overthrow him. The second is what happened more or less: the child would present a threat to the regime and would need to be reigned in.

    From the good guy's perspective, the only true way to protect the child(ren) would be to hide them and not allow the bad guys to know about them. We get the DISTINCT idea that this is the case from everything that occurs in the OT. Vader gives no indication at all that he knows about any Skywalker offspring until we hear the name mentioned by him in ESB after Luke comes out of hiding to destroy the Death Star. It is only after that event that Palps shows him ugly mug and the two bad guys discuss the danger.

    The alternative that the new Prequels present is a situation in which Anakin/Vader is fully aware of at least one child yet he apparently doesn't feel the need to go looking for him even though he would also be aware that the child is around 20 years old. He apparently also is aware that Obi Wan escaped. So having a rogue Jedi out there along with the knowledge that a baby chock full o' Midichlorians could be a threat should equal a A New Hope in which Vader is hot on the trail of trying to find the child. Yet it is never mentioned even once. It makes no logical sense.



    Quote Originally Posted by Caesar
    Right. Ben was there to watch over Luke, something he did not do for Leia. Ben is there to keep an eye on Luke so whether his name is Skywalker or Tinkywinky, Ben is there to keep an eye out if Vader shows up.
    Ben isn't watching Leia because she was hidden in plain view with a new name. Judging from Obi's and Yoda's attitude toward her in ESB and ROTJ, they didn't consider her a viable threat to Vader and the Emperor, at least in terms of attacking them via Force training.

    Ben does keep an eye out for Luke, yet at a distance, for good reason. He is a Force beacon. IF the Empire ever arrived on Tatooine and Vader just happened to be with them, his presence might be detected. IF he has a kid living with him, the implications are obvious. But Obi wanted Luke to grow up in a semi-normal family situation instead of on-the-run with a fugitive. So placing the child with his salt of the earth brother, Owen, made complete sense as nobody should ever think to look there in the unlikely event that Vader ever found out about the offspring in the first place.

    Why give Luke the Skywalker name? Because he was being primed for a purpose and giving him a connection to his past was deemed important. Despite Yoda's frustration, Luke was bound to find out eventually, either during the battle (as it happened) or after the Empire was defeated. Either way, Luke would almost certainly have to find out that he too was chock full o' Midichlorians lest he fall prey to the same sins of the father...which he ironically does in order to defeat Vader in ROTJ.



    Quote Originally Posted by Caesar
    What was Owen and Beru's last name again ? Lars ? Okay, then where on screen during ANH do we find that information ? We don't. You're going offscreen to cite a different last name when there is no mention of it in the film.
    No, we don't hear it in ANH, but it doesn't matter. If you're going to look at the OT in a vacuum, then it doesn't impact anything. But toss in the Prequel continuity and suddenly we DO know the last name "Lars" and how GL rewrote the "offscreen" continuity to make Anakin semi-related to that family. It is from that point that Pandora's Box is opened and none of it makes much sense anymore.

    Had GL left the "offscreen" continuity alone, wherein Owen is Ben's brother, the pieces fit perfectly fine and none of the annoying questions even come up, such as why Obi Wan would choose to hide the "only hope" for the galaxy in the one place in the galaxy that Anakin might even dare to return (to visit mommie's grave). That one question is a problem that just can't be explained away.



    Quote Originally Posted by Caesar
    EPISODE 3 SPOILERS . . . .
    .
    ..

    as for "A" yes Anakin does know about the pregnancy. That is confirmed. What I'm not sure of yet is if Anakin knows that the baby lived through childbirth but since he knows that Padme died, I am expecting that he believes the child dead as well (he doesn't know about the twin). ESB DVD Redux hints at this when Palps says the rebel is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker and Vader asks how is that possible, so I believe that Anakin thinks the kid died with Padme. That is, at least, until the kid blows up the Death Star and Vader gets the jump on Palpatine in searching for him.
    RUMOR ALERT:



    *****

    I abhore dealing with conjecture and would prefer to just discuss it after we know for certain what is going to happen, but another piece of the puzzle you bring up that I've heard is that Anakin chokes Padme to death. I don't know if it's true, but it sounds plausible. Certainly worthy of a PG-13. In that case, it seems to make sense that if he knew that she was preggers, he would assume that the child(ren) would also die. Running from that assumption, we might guess that Obi Wan and/or Yoda discover the dead girl, extract the children, "save" them somehow, and then decide then to split them up which is what leads to that gratuitous and unnecessary scene showing Obi Wan taking Luke to the Lars homestead.

    Quote Originally Posted by Caesar
    as for "B" why the **** would Obi-Wan bother to put the kid with his own brother who doesn't like him when he could just raise the kid himself ? Instead he just dumped the kid off with the closest relation (not counting Leia, of course ).
    As I stated above, he wanted Luke to grow up in a family environment instead of living "on the run" with a fugitive. Ben's "Force signature" might give Luke away in the event that he was ever discovered. "Dumping" the kid off with the closest relation worked in this instance because Tatooine was already on the fringe of the galaxy and the homestead was on the fringe of civilization on the planet. It was as close to being off the map as possible while still giving Luke the benefit of a family.

    As to why Obi would put Luke with "his own brother who doesn't like him," we can easily see that Owen never understood Obi's "magic" or his position on the war. We see parallels like this in our own lives (except for the magic part of course ). We have nutball war and gun-lovers in our own country who feel the need to go shoot something (deer) or somebody (Iraqis) and justify it for some "cause" (deer-overpopulation; Iraqis-bad guys). Owen clearly didn't join in Obi's point of view and would rather he just stay off the radar and earn a good livin' out on the farm. Leave the politics to the fancy city folk. But no, Obi went off to fight in his crusade and Owen didn't approve. Thus the "conflict" between brothers. And what better person to leave Luke with than somebody who will teach Luke how to make an honest living and grow up with "values." It's a story that should touch the heart of every Red State American.

  7. #7

    Re: Owen was always Anakin's brother.

    Now why would you say that is indeed a big deal in the event of Anakin knowing about the kid when I clearly stated that it's not a big deal "if Anakin is not aware of the kid living" ?
    If ROTS ends with Anakin knowing his baby is alive, then of course that presents a problem because he naturally would want to groom it. I don't contest that.

    Okay, let's look at the OT in a vacuum. I maintain that it is still a "problem" because if anything, when Obi-Wan talks about Owen not holding with your father's ideals and he should not have gotten involved, that sounds to me like Owen was a hell of a lot closer to Obi-Wan than he was Owen, that is of course unless Obi-Wan is projecting his own relationship with his brother Owen onto Luke's unnamed father.

    Actually, the prequels shore up this scene with Luke and Obi-Wan a bit better, at least Owen had SOME connection to Anakin whereas in the OT Sans Prequels, we hear Obi-Wan telling Luke about how he didn't hold with your father's ideals, blah blah blah.

    So if in fact Owen WAS Obi-Wan's brother, then why the heck does Obi-Wan talk about Owen as having an opinion Luke's father when, according to the EU, Obi-Wan didn't even think about Owen until he needed to hide a baby ?

    According to the old storyline, Owen didn't even know Anakin yet Obi-Wan's running his mouth about how Owen disagreed with Anakin following Obi-Wan, even though Anakin and Owen have very little in common . . .

    And can somebody please explain to me why Obi-Wan says, "he thought your father should have stayed here and not gotten involved" ?

    Sounds to me like Anakin in the OT (before the prequels) had at least some knowledge of Tatooine since Owen thought he should have stayed there.

  8. #8

    Re: Owen was always Anakin's brother.

    Okay, let's look at this sequence by sequence:

    INTERIOR: LARS HOMESTEAD -- DINING AREA.

    Luke's Aunt Beru, a warm, motherly woman, fills a pitcher with blue fluid from a refrigerated container in the well-used kitchen. She puts the pitcher on a tray with some bowls of food and starts for the dining area.
    Luke sits with his Uncle Owen before a table covered with steaming bowls of food as Aunt Beru carries in a bowl of red grain.


    LUKE
    You know, I think that R2 unit we bought might have been stolen.

    OWEN
    What makes you think that?

    LUKE
    Well, I stumbled across a recording while I was cleaning him. He says he belongs to someone called Obi-Wan Kenobi.

    Owen is greatly alarmed at the mention of his name, but manages to control himself.

    LUKE
    I thought he might have meant old Ben. Do you know what he's talking about? Well, I wonder if he's related to Ben.

    Owen breaks loose with a fit of uncontrolled anger.

    OWEN
    That old man's just a crazy old wizard. Tomorrow I want you to take that R2 unit into Anchorhead and have its memory flushed. That'll be the end of it. It belongs to us now.
    Here, we can see that Owen is actively trying to discredit Obi Wan's reputation in Luke's mind in case Luke tries to take this stuff seriously. But Luke presses on nonetheless...

    LUKE
    But what if this Obi-Wan comes looking for him?

    OWEN
    He won't, I don't think he exists any more. He died about the same time as your father.
    Here it is obvious that he is making it up as he goes along...anything to get Luke off this track...

    LUKE
    He knew my father?

    OWEN
    I told you to forget it. Your only concern is to prepare the new droids for tomorrow. In the morning I want them on the south ridge working out those condensers.

    LUKE
    Yes, sir. I think those new droids are going to work out fine. In fact, I, uh, was also thinking about our agreement about my staying on another season. And if these new droids do work out, I want to transmit my application to the Academy this year.

    Owen's face becomes a scowl, although he tries to suppress it.

    OWEN
    You mean the next semester before harvest?

    LUKE
    Sure, there're more than enough droids.

    OWEN
    Harvest is when I need you the most. Only one more season. This year we'll make enough on the harvest so I'll be able to hire some more hands. And then you can go to the Academy next year.

    Luke continues to toy with his food, not looking at his uncle.

    OWEN
    You must understand I need you here, Luke.
    Owen is definitely concerned that Luke will leave the safety of this backwater homestead and get caught up in the politics that brought him here in the first place...

    LUKE
    But it's a whole 'nother year.

    OWEN
    Look, it's only one more season.

    Luke pushes his half-eaten plate of food aside and stands.

    LUKE
    Yeah, that's what you said last year when Biggs and Tank left.

    AUNT BERU
    Where are you going?

    LUKE
    It looks like I'm going nowhere. I have to finish cleaning those droids.

    Resigned to his fate, Luke paddles out of the room. Owen mechanically finishes his dinner.

    AUNT BERU
    Owen, he can't stay here forever. Most of his friends have gone. It means so much to him.

    OWEN
    I'll make it up to him next year. I promise.
    Now he's just trying to shut Beru up.


    AUNT BERU
    Luke's just not a farmer, Owen. He has too much of his father in him.

    OWEN
    That's what I'm afraid of.
    Owen knows what happened to Anakin and his mission to keep Luke away from the galactic conflict is clear.






    INTERIOR: KENOBI'S DWELLING.
    The small, spartan hovel is cluttered with desert junk but still manages to radiate an air of time-worn comfort and security. Luke is in one corner repairing Threepio's arm, as old Ben sits thinking.

    LUKE
    No, my father didn't fight in the wars. He was a navigator on a spice freighter.

    BEN
    That's what your uncle told you. He didn't hold with your father's ideals. Thought he should have stayed here and not gotten involved.
    In light of the "point of view" that Obi Wan imparts to Luke, we can easily surmise that Ben is merely perpetuating the idea that Anakin WAS Owen's brother and that they all lived happily forever after on Tatooine.

    Ok, so at this point you're saying to yourself, "Stillakid, you're rationalizing." Maybe, if we look at this line in a vaccuum, but with all the other elements scattered throughout the saga, the only logic that holds up is that Owen and Ben were the brothers and that Anakin didn't know about Owen or Tatooine at all.

    The only other alternative is that Anakin was a meathead (because in ANH, he didn't acknowledge the planet where his mother was buried ... a large part of the reason for him turning into evil bad guy according to AOTC ...) and that Obi Wan is a meathead for hiding the only hope for the galaxy in the one place that Anakin/Vader is likely to return to (to visit mommie's grave).

    So I suppose the decision is in the viewer's hands: either condemn the Prequels for screwing up the only logical familial relationship possible (and the intended one according to all reliable sources), or condemn the characters themselves for being meatheads.



    LUKE
    You fought in the Clone Wars?

    BEN
    Yes, I was once a Jedi Knight the same as your father.

    LUKE
    I wish I'd known him.

    BEN
    He was the best star-pilot in the galaxy, and a cunning warrior. I understand you've become quite a good pilot yourself. And he was a good friend. Which reminds me...

    Ben gets up and goes to a chest where he rummages around. As Luke finishes repairing Threepio and starts to fit the restraining bolt back on, Threepio looks at him nervously. Luke thinks about the bolt for a moment then puts it on the table. Ben shuffles up and presents Luke with a short handle with several electronic gadgets attached to it.

    BEN
    I have something here for you. Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough, but your uncle wouldn't allow it. He feared you might follow old Obi-Wan on some damned-fool idealistic crusade like your father did.
    Obi Wan has been keeping this "symbol" of Anakin for a long time, but part of Owen's mission was to protect the boy from being discovered. We can surmise from Owen's previous attitude toward Ben that he never really understood Ben's "jedi" thing or the war. So when Ben arrives with this little baby and asks Beru and Owen to protect him and teach him etc, Owen obviously translates that bias against such "idealism" to Luke. Protecting the boy is more than just keeping the Empire away from him...it also means keeping Luke from wanting to leave home and get caught up in that crazy nonsense that Owen's brother, Obi Wan, and his best friend in the whole wide galaxy, Anakin, did.



    And I know that all of this dialogue was not in the film, but it speaks to the filmmaker's intentions at the time it was all being figured out. The words speak for themselves, and from them, we can easily conclude the GL was the meathead who altered the intended story for some unknown reason which to this day, even I still can't figure out.

    LUKE
    Leia! Leia's my sister.

    BEN
    Your insight serves you well. Bury your
    feelings deep down, Luke. They do you credit.
    But they could be made to serve the Emperor.

    Luke looks into the distance, trying to comprehend all this.

    BEN
    (continuing his narrative)
    When your father left, he didn't know your
    mother was pregnant. Your mother and I knew
    he would find out eventually, but we wanted
    to keep you both as safe as possible, for as
    long as possible. So I took you to live with
    my brother Owen on Tatooine... and your mother
    took Leia to live as the daughter of Senator
    Organa, on Alderaan.

    Luke turns, and settles near Ben to hear the tale.

    BEN
    (attempting to give solace with his words)
    The Organa household was high-born and
    politically quite powerful in that system.
    Leia became a princess by virtue of
    lineage... no one knew she'd been adopted, of
    course. But it was a title without real
    power, since Alderaan had long been a
    democracy. Even so, the family continued to
    be politically powerful, and Leia, following
    in her foster father's path, became a senator
    as well. That's not all she became, of
    course... she became the leader of her cell
    in the Alliance against the corrupt Empire.
    And because she had diplomatic immunity, she
    was a vital link for getting information to
    the Rebel cause. That's what she was doing
    when her path crossed yours... for her foster
    parents had always told her to contact me on
    Tatooine, if her troubles became desperate.

    Luke is overwhelmed by the truth, and is suddenly protective of
    his sister.


    LUKE
    But you can't let her get involved now, Ben.
    Vader will destroy her.

    BEN
    She hasn't been trained in the ways of the
    Jedi the way you have, Luke ... but the Force
    is strong with her, as it is with all of your
    family. There is no avoiding the battle. You
    must face and destroy Vader!

  9. #9

    Re: Owen was always Anakin's brother.

    Stillakid, I am borrowing your quote about Leia and her mother going to live on ALderaan for the other thread.

    Edit: DIdnt see that Jargo had pout up the script there. Thanks anyways.
    Last edited by Kidhuman; 04-23-2005 at 11:47 AM.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

  10. #10

    Re: Owen was always Anakin's brother.

    Man this conversation is a good one. From the earliest days of the prequels, I have thought about the conversations with Luke and Owen and the one with Ben and Luke. I definitly never knew of the owen/obi brother relationship until much later. So I never think of them that way. I think that this will work out properly in the end. Without a doubt, GL has spent plenty of time going through the OT and seeing exactly what is said onscreen as he pieces together how to write the PT. So the important thing to think about is how to make this stuff seem correct when watching in 1-6 order. What has to happen in EP3 to make these things in EP4 work?
    Now becareful in your responses, I am trying to remain spoiler free. I usually dont venture out of the no spoilers section as I like to theorize with equally uninformed people.

    I think it is find if we think Obi-Wan is fibbing to Luke about a couple of things, however what he says has to make some kind of sense. Specifically with regard to the Owen/Ani relationship.

    One thing. I dont think its unreasonable that Owen has a decent understanding of Anakin. Its not just that the only met briefly in EP2. Probably he has heard a lot about Anakin from Shmi. He also knows that he went off to become a Jedi. And probably Shmi has fantasized greatly about Anakin being off Saving the Galaxy gallantly. Then he shows up. Is cold and short. He runs off blindly to find his mother. Returns very quickly with her corpse, accomplishing something that 30 men couldnt do in a month. He then leaves, stealing their protocol droid, as quickly as he came to go to the rescue of Obi-Wan Kenobi.

    At this point Owen has some pretty weird,and mostly negative feelings about this strange young man. Whom he is forever directly connected with even though he has spent no time with. Now, he is raising his son. Growing older, isolated. Knowing that things in the universe are worse. Burying his head in the sand. Probably Owen thinks Anakin was some kind weird guy. Who had delusions of grandeur and crazy ideals.
    Owen is also very aware that Anakin lived with his mom there on Tatooine for a large part of his life. And that he chose to leave. This choice is laid before you etc.

    So the line. He didnt hold with your father's ideals, thought he should have stayed here and not gotten involved. Really doesnt seem that outlandish to me.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO