Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

USA Today article with George Lucas

In the USA Today article, from Saturday, their is an interview with George Lucas. In it, he states that the Star Wars saga is "about Darth Vader". Does anyone else feel that this is not quite acurate? Overall, I would have to say that he is correct for two reasons. One, he wrote it so that must be true. Secondly, the six movies cover from his youth to his redemption. However, I feel that the last three movies (or first three movies in release order) are actually the story of Luke. The development of Darth Vader is only revealed through small parts and verbal snipits. Any thoughts on this topic?

Re: USA Today article with George Lucas

I had heard sometime ago that the story was the saga through the droids C-3PO and R2-D2, the only two characters who would go through all 6 (or 9) episodes. But George is entitled to change his mind, just as he has done with his films, over and over again. Next thing you know, it will be about the rise and fall of Jar Jar.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

The story was supposed to be revealed as being told from the droid's point of view. But since they'll likely never do Episode IX, we'll never see that played out on film. As for the movies being about Anakin Skywalker, I agree... they are. In fact the films boil down to the Skywalker family. From his youth, to jedi knighthood, to his fall, death, and rebirth as Darth Vader. And then his story carries on, while it also expands to tell the stories of his children in a backdrop of a galactic civil war. And ends with his death, and final redemption in the force.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Our children are our legacy. Or something stupid like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar
    Our children are our legacy.

I thought the children were our future.....
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

SW is about the same thing the Godfather is about, except in space and with a happier angle.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

Well if that is true, Luke needs to take over the empire.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I agree that ultimately the story is about Vader. But I don't think that really was the case prior to the writing of ROTJ. To me, that's when it became clear that Star Wars was about the return of a once-good man. That feeling wasn't evident in ANH or ESB.

Let's see, first it's about the droids, then it's about Luke Skywalker, NOW it's about Darth Vader Lucas changes his mind like he changes underwear for crying out loud! He doesn't even know how to keep up with the crazy web of crap he's weaved over the years!

Ay Carumba!
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

You'd rather he change his drawers less often ?