Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Angry Target stores hate Star Wars collectors

Well I have to say that sounds pretty strong but hear is what I have to back it up. Saturday I went into one of my local target stores to purchase any new star wars figures that may have been put out. When I reached the toy section I saw that most of the episode three figures were sold out and there was some empty space.I grabbed a collection 1 and a collection 2 figure and placed it under the price checker.To my surprise it said that there were some of each collection in the back so I called my handy target person to bring some out and stock them. A very nice young and obviously new person came over agreed that the area needed to be stocked and went on her way to stock the figures. She returned with what I believe was some sort of sales lead who said we do not stock collectables during the day. I asked why she replied we only stock them at 8 am. I asked the question again why? She replied so every one can get them. She then said we do not cater to or help collectors and walked away. I was sunned and went to look for a manager. I found a shift manager a few minutes later who explained to me that they do not stock during the day for collectable toys even if there is some in the back stock room. I stated to him that I was a customer and a collector and that I was in his store and wanted to spend money on star wars figures. He said I do not care you are a collector and that is it and walked away. When did we become the scourge of the universe to target I simply wan to spend my money without any hassle. I think this in a way is discrimination and when I called the corporate office, I got the same answer from every one I spoke to.
    If you feel the same way you can call them @1-800-440-0680 or email them at guest.relations@target.com Maybe together we can change how we are treated call or email them today.

Re: Target stores hate Star Wars collectors

I agree, you've experienced some very, very, very poor customer service. "Collectible stocking" policy notwithstanding, I don't understand the unwilingness to retrieve in stock merchandise from the stock room at a customer request. Especially if there wasn't any stock on the sales floor and the store was not especially busy.

I don't have a Target locally but my limited experience with them retrieving in stock merchandise from the stock room has been positive. I've had employees willing to scour the back room for the 12" Speederbike & Biker Scout and the POTF2 Y-Wing for me, as well as the SAGA Accessory Packs. Since I drove 100 miles to shop at a Target in order to buy these exclusives, I'm glad the employees were willing to go into the stockroom and find them for me.

You can use the 'edit post' button to delete the duplicate part of your rant.

I took care of the doubled-up post and moved the thread to Gen Disc (Comments/Suggestions is about site issues).

Target's policy is posted at most of their stores, they call it an "collectibles policy" but it seems so scalper-friendly that I can't imagine why they even bother selling collectibles at all. As someone who has worked retail, I do understand why they are like this when it gets so inconvenient, but it's bad business when they are turning away customers simply because a policy prevents them from restocking.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I had the same rotten experience tonight when I went into a Target store. I will be calling that number you provided, I also sent an e-mail off to the stores headquarters. I explained to the jerks at the store that I just wanted one figure, the Target exclusive clonetrooper. They all gave me the same sorry story you said eshulmire. I left without buying the other SW items I had, and my face was Target red. They will be lucky if I ever go back into the stores again.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    I took care of the doubled-up post and moved the thread to Gen Disc (Comments/Suggestions is about site issues).

Target's policy is posted at most of their stores, they call it an "collectibles policy" but it seems so scalper-friendly that I can't imagine why they even bother selling collectibles at all. As someone who has worked retail, I do understand why they are like this when it gets so inconvenient, but it's bad business when they are turning away customers simply because a policy prevents them from restocking.
    What's going on here? Is Target doing this to keep collectors or scalpers from asking employees to give them all the good figures, thereby giving everybody (kids) an equal chance, or are they doing it because they are tired of employees spending too much time in the back searching when they are needed elsewhere in the store?

If it is the former, I would suggest stocking collectibles on a random schedule so scalpers cannot just show up and horde everything. As for the overall rationale, I agree with it completely, although this might not be the best way to go about it.

If the latter, well, it's a business, and Target seems to be telling collectors loud and clear to deal with it or take a hike. So, take a hike.

To be honest, when I worked in retail in college, I noticed a certain obvious disdain among my co-workers for what were called "Star Wars Nazis". The prevalent attitude among those who make $6 an hour was: who cares if some geek gets R2-D2? But there is a way to deal with these people and get them to do what you want them to do:

first of all, treat the sales person with respect. When I worked retail (a position that had zero power), whenever I sensed an attitude on the part of the customer, they were finished as far as help (although they did not know it). (BTW, I would watch how I treat waitstaff as well, otehrwise you might find your lobster-bisque specially seasoned).

secondly, make them want to help you. Tell them you've been all over looking and you would really appreciate it if they could help you. Do not sound frustrated, rather, sound desperate. The fact is that retail is a thankless piece of crap of a job, and if a SA can feel s/he is really helping a customer out (rather than fulfilling said customer's lousy sense of entitlement) in a more personal way, they will go a mile to help, even if it means finding a special figure. Trust me, Target probably doesn't have these figures under lock and key.

lastly, when you don't get your way, avoid making a scene and turning into a child throwing a tantrum. If a store has a policy, it really isn't the associate's fault. That's how a term like "Star Wars Nazi" gets around.
    Last edited by JON9000; 04-26-2005 at 02:03 PM.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

It's a store policy. Deal with it. I'm sure Hot Wheels guy doesn't like it either.

Quote Originally Posted by JON9000
    They are tired of employees spending too much time in the back searching when they are needed elsewhere in the store.
    That's a major part of it. Bratz were lumped into this "collectible" catagory when I worked there. I recall one Sunday morning (ad day is always the busiest) when Bratz were on sale ("OH!! A whole dollar off!!! Let's rip the toy department to pieces!!!") and one of the proverbial soccer moms had me searching high and low for whatever one her daughter needed. I made an off hand comment to my team lead about this nut and was told to tell her we had no more cases in the back. Once what was on the shelves was depleted, more were put out.

I understand the frustration of knowing that there are SW figs in the back and you can't have them. But it's not like most collectors would be satisfied with the team member bringing out a case and filling the pegs. "Is that all you have?" "Well, what I'm really looking for is..." "Can you bring out another case?" "Well, can you just go see if you have collection 'x' and get me 'x' figure out of it?"

It would turn into an instance of giving an inch and taking a mile.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

I just find it odd that they won't restock in the middle of the day. Most retail businesses if you ran that way, you'd run them into the ground. I'm not talking about a customer request, I'm talking about an employ who seeing that an area that needs to be restocked and can't because of the store policy. You can't sell what's not on the shelf. And you'd think they would rather sell it than sit on it.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

This is a two way street: on one hand Target employees should be doing what they can do to assist a customer and on the other hand the customer (or collector in our case) should be aware of what the policy is regarding things like toys. Im sure we have all seen the signs that say no employee is to be asked to check in the back, so why bother asking? Its important that the employees are not treated like crap by us consumers, because that leads to us being labeled "Star Wars Nazis" and facing even more resentment or dislike from them. Ive yet to hear of any retail employee who changed their ways because someone blew up on them about toys. Lets not make this hobby even more frustrating then it already is. While it would be nice to for employees to check the back stock room, i wouldnt go in expecting it as an obligation of theirs.
    Good Traders/Sellers: Cameo, Darth Cruel, Sith Killer 99, JJReason, icatch9, ChasingJediDogma, AT-AT Man, JediMasterGuyute, Brainiak76, JangoFett96, njscollectibles, Vulcantouch, AC Pin, TheDarthVader, msjedi, DarthQuack, Roojay

When did they change this policy?
    Target used to stock their Star Wars figures at random times of the day, back when they were the hottest toy out there (Special Edition time, IIRC).
    I remember a small sign stating they did it so that everyone had a fair chance to get whatever they had. If they did it in overnight then scalpers would know to show up when the store opened and be able to clean them out.

But there is still no excuse for them to treat their customers like **** though.
    All they have to do is apologize and tell the customer it's store policy.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy
    When did they change this policy?
    It was like that when I began working there in late 2001.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.