Twentieth Century Fox is taking 90% of the ticket gross.

I don't know if they negotiate different deals with different theater chains but I read an article in the local paper which quotes the local independent theater owner as telling the reporter that 20thCF is taking 90% of the ticket prices.

Jeez, I'll almost feel bad if I don't buy any price-gouged food or drink because otherwise they are only getting 80 cents out of me at the midnight show.

Re: Twentieth Century Fox is taking 90% of the ticket gross.

That's pretty harsh .

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

Cool Re: Twentieth Century Fox is taking 90% of the ticket gross.

I'm the house manager at a theatre in Mass. All theatres have the same percentage taken by the distributor, depending on the number of weeks the movie has been out. To answer the question though, yes, First Run films usually get 90% of the gross taken by the distributor (Fox in this case). 10% is kept by the theatre, which we are then taxed on and that money is used to pay staff, utilities, rent in some cases, insurance and to buy product for the concession stands. The percentage the theatre gets to keep goes up every week, but even a 2 month old movie has at least 30% go to the distributor. So when you hear the myth that movie theatres don't make money, it's true. For every single customer that walks into a theatre and doesn't buy something from the concession stand, the theatre is losing money and that is why movie tickets will continue to rise. I don't mean to sound harsh, but it's just the simple truth. At least we get to see movies for free though and a day or two early!

Thanks for that info. See, I was thinking that maybe the 90% was a bit higher than usual on account of the SW factor . . . I would have guessed around 80 or so but it looks like I would be wrong.

Well if it makes you feel any better, I'll be seeing ROTS into July even, so they'll get a few more bucks that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikaholic
    I'm the house manager at a theatre in Mass.
    Hey Mikaholic, welcome to the boards...

I used to manage a little "art house" in college, and sometimes we'd have to pay a fee--in addition to the percentage--for newer movies. Do you guys have to do anything like that?
    plasticfetish.net

Doesnt suprise me that the distributor takes the bulk of the money, i had heard it before but i never knew it was that much. I wonder if thats what has fueled the growth of so many 20 plus screen theaters, the more people they can pull in the more money the actual theater stands to pull in. If its any type of comfort for Douglas Theaters (the local big chain) i do plan on spending quite a bit on concessions for each of my visits, probably close to $20 on myself.
    Good Traders/Sellers: Cameo, Darth Cruel, Sith Killer 99, JJReason, icatch9, ChasingJediDogma, AT-AT Man, JediMasterGuyute, Brainiak76, JangoFett96, njscollectibles, Vulcantouch, AC Pin, TheDarthVader, msjedi, DarthQuack, Roojay

Don't mean to sound like a jerk, but if there were no money to be made in playing movies then these corpaorations wouldn't open theaters to play them in. i have no sympathy if they only get 10% the first week.

Imagine how much some of these theaters got when titanic was playing for 6 months to a year in places.

I kinda feel sorry for all the families that go out to see some movie and get gouged at the concession stand. I'll continue to smuggle in my water or coke.
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars

Doc I came back to post the same thought, that even though things are tight for a theater owner they will NOT stay open if they aren't making money.

I don't think you can earmark part of the ticket price to pay for concession supplies . . . that should come out of the revenue from the concession sales.