Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question about the Steve interview and the Obi ROTS Fx, a Amy, Steve, any info on ..

[font=Times New Roman] Now the recent interview (Steve part 3) has me worried about the Obi-Wan ROTS FX, because he spoke about has he did not like changing the neck of a saber to fit electronics, now first of all Iíve been making EL and Lexon LED sabers with skinny necks for quite some time, but IDK MR uses the 64 LED design so who knows. So anyway that was the reason he stated why MR would not do an Obi-Wan ANH FX, because the neck is too skinny. Question arenít the necks on both hilts the same, so what would be the difference, am I the only one thinking the Obi-Wan ROTS could be canceled? Or was the interview before the Obi-Wan ROTS was announced to retailers, if so could it be that MR has found a way to keep the necks as skinny as they want too, hence the Obi-Wan ROTS, and maybe ANH saber? If Steve or Amy could comment on the issue that would be greatÖ[/font]
    Last edited by Axlrose; 05-04-2005 at 06:37 PM.

Re: Question about the Steve interview and the Obi ROTS Fx, and ANH

As far I know, there were never any plans for an Obi F/X saber from ROTS, just the LE. So it is possible that you might be confusing the two. As far as the neck problem with F/X sabers, I understand the pt. As an example, the Vader ANH F/X's blade is really sturdy and anchored, while the Mace Windu one is a great deal more unsupported or fragile because of the neck of the hilt.

There are current plans for an Obi-Wan Fx least, that is what the retailers have been told and they are not lied to, so it is on the way hopefully, you can check this website that is even taking preorders http://www.koenigscollectibles.com/mr.htm I talked to amy and said it should be coming out in Fall, but Idk if that still stands after hearing that Steve interview.

There is going to be a ROTS FX Obi-Wan. It was announced fairly recently. My guess is that the interview was done before they finalized plans for the ROTS Obi-Wan.

I am also guessing they will have to cheat the neck size again for this saber like they did for the Luke ROTJ. The problem is, as stated by Darth Spectre, the neck must support the blade well and protect the electronics within. It will, however, probably be a little bit thinner than the Luke ROTJ, but it will probably still be way more oversized than the real thing.

Idk about maybe they just started to use a small driver that lets the neck be some what smaller, I hope steve or amy can comment on this issue.

Re: Question about the Steve interview and the Obi ROTS Fx, a Amy, Steve, any info on ..

I stand corrected, sorry about that. I'm personally glad there will finally be an Obi-Wan F/X saber. Hopefully, they will continue to advance the technology more and more too.

Quote Originally Posted by Axlrose
    Idk about maybe they just started to use a small driver that lets the neck be some what smaller, I hope steve or amy can comment on this issue.
    As I said, it will probably be a little smaller than the Luke ROTJ, but I believe Steve said in the interview that "you can't get a half inch blade into a quarter inch hole" or something like that, I'm just paraphrasing. There are limitations to the system that can't solely be attributed to the electronics themselves, but to the fact that they need to make these structurally sound as well. An EL blade would work better for the Obi-Wan, but it wouldn't give the saber the same effect as the LED string does. Anyway, there are a half dozen places on the internet where you can get EL bladed sabers. MR needs to set themselves apart from them as they have the capital and infrastructure to produce a product with something a little more "fancy".

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Spectre
    Hopefully, they will continue to advance the technology more and more too.
    A big +1.

Re: Question about the Steve interview and the Obi ROTS Fx, a Amy, Steve, any info on ..

Well they could use a Luxon LED, you cann find a pic here of a non edited pic, I think that would work well and the driver lets it light up in parts and lets a clashing light or on and off.

Quote Originally Posted by Axlrose
    Well they could use a Luxon LED, you cann find a pic here of a non edited pic, I think that would work well and the driver lets it light up in parts and lets a clashing light or on and off.
    What do you mean? I'm not exactly clear as to what you are suggeting. A single LED at the emitter? The newer Hasbro models use a cluster of LEDs to transfer light through the plastic tube that acts as a blade as well (which does have a flash effect when it powers up/down and clashes). A cluster of 3w or 5w Luxeon would light up a plastic tube pretty brightly, but the main "hook" of the FX line is to be able to have the power up and down sequences. Otherwise, there are a half dozen or so sabersmiths on the internet that could do EL blades or LED emitters or you could just get the plastic Hasbro ones.

The MR has a feature that would be too cost and time prohibitive for a small operation to manufacture. MR is able to have the LED string feature as well as adding a motion/impact sensor operated sound module for a very, very nice price. No one else is able to replicate the lighting effects of the FX line at the present time and sound modules are not an option from most of the sabersmiths (and when they are offered as an option, it is quite expensive). An absolutely no one else is able to offer as full featured a saber as MR for such a very low price.

I think what we have to consider here is a combination of "there's no free lunch" (in order to have something-the unique lighting and lower cost sound effects, you have to give up something else-the correct dimensions of a real prop) and the fact that MR has to offer a very neat product in a way that no one else can. I mean you have to consider that the dimensions on the Graflex based models from the MR FX line are lightly larger than the originals and from independent sabersmiths.

In time, developments may arise and ideas may strike that allow for more accurate hilts to be added to the FX line. I'm sure in four or five years, we will see something of a convergence of the LE and FX lines (well, at least I hope we will). However, currently, limitations in cost and technology will not allow for such a convergence to be fast nor easy. I do believe, howeverm that if anyone can take Star Wars replicas to the next level, it will be Master Replicas. A dream of mine is to see a LE or EE saber with a removeable blade that retains the lighting effects of the current FX line as well of the sound effects and be sturdy enough to swing around like a wild Wookie.

In time, developments may arise and ideas may strike that allow for more accurate hilts to be added to the FX line. I'm sure in four or five years, we will see something of a convergence of the LE and FX lines (well, at least I hope we will). However, currently, limitations in cost and technology will not allow for such a convergence to be fast nor easy. I do believe, howeverm that if anyone can take Star Wars replicas to the next level, it will be Master Replicas. A dream of mine is to see a LE or EE saber with a removeable blade that retains the lighting effects of the current FX line as well of the sound effects and be sturdy enough to swing around like a wild Wookie.
    Well if you want that then get a parks that look quite close to MR designs yet, use an EL blade. Of course no light up and light down. Although I have made several Luxon blades and have added a light up and light down, it looks differnt then the MR Fx, but it gets the effect. It uses a several compartments,using three Luxon's. It is the best saber light there is, I mean look at that pic and blue is the worst color. So Mr could do that but it is a cost issue. It took me a about 500 bucks, to buy costume driver, the luxons and shock sensors.