How did Star Destroyers get thier names?

I had a thought that they were named Star Destroyers after a ship was used to destroy a star, and thus, an entire star system.

Naboo's sun, maybe?

Destroyer Droid - destructive droid

Star Destroyer - destructive starship

Death Star got it's name because it could and does destroy planets and/or ships in a single shot... Star Destroyer is a different story but I doubt we'll find out why they're called that...
    The Force is strong with this one.

Of course, that's my opinion I could be wrong.

It's most likely an allusion to immense fire power and the threat of destruction from a leviathan of a ship. Just a nasty sounding name George came up with. It was actually just an Imperial cruiser in the original draft of ANH More the size of the Falcon. It was only when they drew the storyboards that it got to be that big in scale that it dwarfed the tantive IV. It couldn't possibly contain enough firepower to destroy a sun. So it has to be just a clever use of words to suggest danger and superior weaponry.

I believe "Death Star" is in reference to it being the size of a small moon, much larger than any other space station or weapons platform ever seen. It's just the Empire using metaphor to ensure fear.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Cool

Snow speeder= Snow SPEEDer
    Light saber= LIGHT saber
    Sandtrooper= SandtroopER
    Landspeeder= see above
    But seriously- the ships are part of a space navy, so for a space-use, destroyer-type vehicle the name just makes sense . Stellar destroyer sounds too much like a bad metal band name, planet destroyer has no "flow", and space destroyer doesn't make sense in a weird,big way.

Our Navy uses many different types of ships with classes like Battleship, Carrier and Destroyer among others

Star Battleship? Star Carrier? Star Destroyer, sounds much better.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

You couldn't use stellar for a baddies vessel because one of the other uses of the word means excellent. EXCELLENT DESTROYER doesn't really imply evil villainous super destructive piece of military hardware does it? Sounds more like a description of a type of domestic sanitary cleanser. Maybe star anihilator, Supanova megadeath initiator, jedi Sith starfighter star corruptor squasher stomper deconstructer disintegrater destroyer!

Wink

Yeah,star destroyer!! Better than skyhopper, which is misleading for a number of reasons. Or Naboo starfighter, for that matter. I mean, there's no jet called an"Earth Jet", is there? Or will we only see those rolled out when WE have intergalactic troubles? Next to this, star destroyer just makes sense.Wooo!!

Exclamation

Maybe "Celebrity Career Ruiner" sounded too corny. :happy:
    Alternate choices?

Stah Destroyah
    Sun Crusher
    Bright Light Put-er Outer
    Candle Snuffer
    Heavenly Body De-Builder
    Datsun
    Wedge Cutter
    Solar Flarer
    Big Ship