Hybrid View

Obi-Wan "As First Built By" saber question

Just curious and maybe this is a dumb question. But isn't the saber that Obi-Wan uses in ROTS the same one he will carry on and use in ANH?? Looking at the pics the design looks exactly the same with the exception of a few colors.

Re: Obi-Wan "As First Built By" saber question

It is the same saber. However, the ROTS saber is technically the 'as first built' version of the Episode IV saber.
    "The boy you trained, gone he is...consumed by Darth Vader." - Yoda, Revenge of the Sith

Yodasnews Review Archive: http://www.kid4life.com/yoda2/figurereviews06.htm

So then technically the ANH "As First Built By" that came out before as well as the exclusive .45 one are really the ROTS sabers. And why the subtle color changes?? Seems to me MR is doing a little double dipping on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Monstermile
    So then technically the ANH "As First Built By" that came out before as well as the exclusive .45 one are really the ROTS sabers. And why the subtle color changes?? Seems to me MR is doing a little double dipping on this one.
    Not quite. The ROTS Obi-Wan lightsaber is the official replica. The 'As First Built By' version of the ANH Obi-Wan saber was more like an EU-style saber, an interpretation of what the lightsaber would have looked like originally (much like the 'AFBB' thermal detonator). I wouldn't call it double-dipping on MR's part. It's more like creating variants of a single piece.
    "The boy you trained, gone he is...consumed by Darth Vader." - Yoda, Revenge of the Sith

Ahhh gotcha. I figured they would have designed the first "AFBB" bersion based on actual props and documentation from Lucas Films. Didn't realize it was just an interpetation of what it might have looked like. Guess I won't worry about getting the first one then. Just the weathered and the ROTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Monstermile
    Ahhh gotcha. I figured they would have designed the first "AFBB" bersion based on actual props and documentation from Lucas Films. Didn't realize it was just an interpetation of what it might have looked like. Guess I won't worry about getting the first one then. Just the weathered and the ROTS.
    According to the write-up in the photo database entry on Rebelscum, the AFBB version was meant to show the lightsaber "as it might have looked when Obi-Wan Kenobi first built it." Essentially, Master Replicas created an EU lightsaber.

Personally, I would second your decision. Get the weathered and ROTS replicas.