Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Any Metalheads out there?

I'm a Metal Head

I've been one since the early eighties (the Iron Maiden days), then progressed into the hardcore stuff when Slayer came out. I swear... I lived for Slayer through my teen years - they were my idols. I used to go to a club called Fenders in Long Beach weekly to see the hardcore shows (Dark Angel, Exodus, Forbidden, Nuclear Assault, Violence, Testament, etc.. etc...). A lot of hardcore punk bands too like D.R.I., Excel, Suicidal, Neurosis, etc... Those were the days

Then I used to run lights for a small metal band called Angerfix in my 20's. We used to play shows at all the clubs in L.A. with System of a Down, Korn, Snot, etc... all these 90's bands that weren't signed yet (and about a million other great bands that never got signed to any labels).

Nowadays I like almost all types of music, but if you look in my car cd case you'll find lots of newer heavy stuff like:

Lamb of God (and Burn the Priest )
    Mastodon
    Burnt by the Sun
    the Dillinger Escape Plan
    Cephalic Carnage
    Slipknot
    High on Fire
    etc...
    etc...
    etc...
    Me and a buddy at work usually play "hard attack" on Sirius radio, that's where I find out about some of the the new stuff
    Last edited by Reefer Shark; 05-16-2005 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darko666
    everything after Seasons is their worst material IMO. how could you not like the "Reign In Blood" album? but i guess everybody has their diff. tastes in metal. be it good or bad.
    Because as I stated it is not my thing. I don't consider that bad taste. Just my taste.

I'm a Metalhead from back in the day. Favorites include, but are not limited to:

Metallica (Pre-Black album)
    Slayer
    Danzig
    Anthrax
    Megadeth
    Suicidal Tendencies
    Pantera
    Testament
    Overkill
    Obituary
    Death
    Iron Maiden
    Motorhead
    Ozzy

I also get into the old school stuff; Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, The Beatles, etc. You gotta stay true to your roots!
    May the force be with you.

Whooooo, METAL RULES!!!!

My favorite concert was a White Zombie/Pantera double bill, that concert is followed closely by Sepultura/Pantera.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

I don't know where to go with this one. I love Metallica (say what you must!) and I suppose that counts as metal, though maybe not all of the albums.

Iron Maiden and Motorhead are also tops. Anvil (ask mabudon, he turned me on to them) are another toward the top. Anyone listen to Voivod? I went back into their catalogue after Jason Newsted joined up with them. Not a bad group. There's probably others I am forgetting here . . . Can I count GWAR here? I saw them doing videos from America Must Be Destroyed on Beavis and Butt-Head in the early 90's and have been a fan since. Sure it's a gimmick thing, but I like it.

But uh, now I am finding myself going into the less hard parts of the genre. Gordian Knot (who I just discovered recently), Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment, Rhapsody, Nightwish...haha, I guess you can see where my tastes are going. Opposite from the stuff I started mentioning here, but groups like Dream Theater and Gordian Knot satisfy that hunger for the technical skill and Nightwish and Rhapsody, I don't know what's going on there, but they have those epic feels to them that make me want to pick up a sword and slay a dragon. That's what metal is doing for me these days, I guess
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Rhapsody - cheesy, yet very kick *****. they are going on tour with Manowar. this is a must see tour. hopefully i can make it to the June 6th show in orlando fl. \m/
    [FONT=Century Gothic]That day in Theed I feel so far from what I was. When I came to rest all I could see was you. But I rose from my ruin to find myself greater. And all the days since have been to your end! - Maul [/FONT]
    Online Portfolio | Thracian | SW Action Figure Checklist

So MANOWAR's touring North America this summer eh???
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
    Loves the Metal myself
    Many of the previously mentioned bands are on my playlist
    Haven't seen Gamma Ray or Helloween mentioned yet though, OR Primal Fear

OR Anvil IIRC.. they are really good old-school Metal

Oh and some early Saxon is great- "Denim and Leather" is the perfect anthem for my fave segment of the genre

I am totally a fan of the epic/melodic Metal, the newer "Heavy" stuff doesn't do it for me as much, and as has been stated the "Nu" stuff stinks
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

I wasn't going to mention them because I don't consider them Metal but one of my alltime favorites bands is Dream Theater. They absolutely rule and are so impressive. Also, I really like Joe Satriani. Awesome guitarist!

Some other bands that I used to listen to more are ...

-Quiet Riot
    -Whitesnake
    -Van Halen
    -Dokken (I know, hair-metal, but they have some good stuff)
    -ACDC (I like the rarer songs more than the others they play over & over again)
    -Ozzy (i have trouble listening to Ozzy knowadays. Just sick of him I guess)
    -Dio (got heavier over the years, most is very good)
    -White Zombie
    -Korn (some is good, some not so good)
    -Def Leppard (older stuff is very good)
    -Suicidal Tendencies
    -Led Zeppelin, Kansas, Rainbow, Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, Santana

Quote Originally Posted by vader121
    I wasn't going to mention them because I don't consider them Metal but one of my alltime favorites bands is Dream Theater. They absolutely rule and are so impressive. Also, I really like Joe Satriani. Awesome guitarist!

Some other bands that I used to listen to more are ...

-Quiet Riot
    -Whitesnake
    -Van Halen
    -Dokken (I know, hair-metal, but they have some good stuff)
    -ACDC (I like the rarer songs more than the others they play over & over again)
    -Ozzy (i have trouble listening to Ozzy knowadays. Just sick of him I guess)
    -Dio (got heavier over the years, most is very good)
    -White Zombie
    -Korn (some is good, some not so good)
    -Def Leppard (older stuff is very good)
    -Suicidal Tendencies
    -Led Zeppelin, Kansas, Rainbow, Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, Santana
    What metalhead didn't listen to those bands. That's what got us started in the first place. Be it old, new, hair, death, thrash, black, grind, doom, epic, fantasy or any other label you want to put on it, It's all ****ing METAL and it all RULES.

DIO and Rainbow- I forgot to mention that one- years ago (heck maybe even still, I don't recall) I had a pic of me and DIO in my profile, that little guy rocks REALLY hard- last time I saw him someone in the front row had a big foam sign-of-the-horns and DIO grabbed it and ran around hoisting the biggest malocchio (that's the devil horns BTW, as far as Dio calls it) I've ever seen

Thin Lizzy is legitimate too... unfortunate that their "legacy" is so sorry compared to some of their actual good material ("look what the wind just blew in" f'rinstance)

Uriah Heep is another of the "classic" bands that started the Metal ball rolling, and if you wanna get even more "obscure", QUEEN- some of their stuff is pretty "flowery" but most of their first few albums have some downright KILLER tracks on them, like "Brighton Rock" and "Dead on Time"- my "wife" has gotten on a real early-QUEEN kick lately and I would be hard pressed to object...

some older Pink Floyd (Pre-darkside, before they got old and sad and tired and depressing) would count as Metal too in many ways

Glad to see this influx of newer members includes a few die-hards

REAL METAL!!!!!

< in my mind the "beard" kinda means "METAL", BTW
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.