Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 56
  1. #31

    Re: Any Metalheads out there?

    LOL the idea of MANOWAR in a big hollywood movie is HYSTERICAL, good one (there'd be dozens of DC-10 wind machines for that bad boy)

    Anyone who could sing all of "Acilles: Agony and Ecstasy in 8 Parts" can't be knocking 'em too hard

    And I saw MANOWAR a couple years ago- They were totally incredible in almost every respect- they can play like nobodies business, they are REAL loud and they are really funny onstage- I think they played just under 15 tunes and they did every possible guitar face and metal stunt you could imagine, they were kinda like POISON on acid- there is a series of videos/dvds called "Hell on Earth", I have only the first one but it's pretty funny and very METAL (at the end of it there is a title that says "To our ENEMIES- buy this video then F* off and die")

    4 Kings they truly are (oh and they were doing some "reunion" recently where all the former members joined them to play songs they had done with the band, and they had "defender" and "Dark Avenger" read LIVE by Christopher Lee, little SW crossover there)



    And sorry about missing the Gamma Ray mention man, I concur, "Powerplant" is indeed one hell of an album, it's like a sequel to "Sad Wings of Destiny"


    Oh- anyone listen to EARLY Scorpions?? like "in trance" and stuff like that??? they were WAY better before they got "marketed" (if you are interested, look for the tune "Stemrock fever" or maybe "Robot Man" killer stuff)
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

  2. #32

    Re: Any Metalheads out there?

    Early Scorpions rule! I have a greatest compilation on cd of their real early stuff and it's very good. Early Judas Priest is very good too.

    I guess the reason I always liked Metal music is that it gets me pumped up and much of the music you gotta respect the talent. I mean some of the stuff today is like 3 simple chords and cheesy lyrics. Has no heart. Metal music has meaning and purpose and some bands like Iron Maiden & Dream Theater actually tell a story in their songs which makes it cooler.

    I play guitar. I'm no Joe Satriani but I have fun. I respect many of the classic guitarists and love a lot of the stuff they do. Guys like Hammett, Lynch, Tipton & KK, Smith & Murray, & Oliva just plain rock! This is probably why I like Metal so much. It takes talent to play.

  3. #33

    Re: Any Metalheads out there?

    Quote Originally Posted by vader121
    I respect many of the classic guitarists and love a lot of the stuff they do. Guys like Hammett, Lynch, Tipton & KK, Smith & Murray, & Oliva just plain rock!
    I find it funny to see "classic guitarists" and Hammett in the same sentence. I'm not saying you're wrong, it just makes me feel old.

    Metallica is the reason I picked up the guitar. I'm not an advanced player but I entertain the crap out of myself.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

    By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

    I'm in love with the women of Univision.

  4. #34

    Re: Any Metalheads out there?

    all this talk of Manowar, makes me want to go their show even more now. one of my friends went to one of their shows a couple of years ago and said the room was just filled with old school metalheads and bikers. these are the fans that follow Manowar and take them very seriously and will beat the hell out of you for making fun of them. this makes the show worth seeing so much more.

    i saw someone mention Mastodon, i saw them recently in NY. great performance, they were solid and played just like their albums, but 10 times better. the sound was amazing, you could hear every instrument perfectly. they are one of the best bands to come around in years. now i hear they signed to Warner Records. hopefully this doesn't ruin them.
    [FONT=Century Gothic]That day in Theed I feel so far from what I was. When I came to rest all I could see was you. But I rose from my ruin to find myself greater. And all the days since have been to your end! - Maul [/FONT]
    Online Portfolio | Thracian | SW Action Figure Checklist

  5. #35

    Re: Any Metalheads out there?

    If it's possible, go to the show darko, you'll not regret it

    I guess I would be one of them "old school metalheads", certainly no biker but I know I am grouped in with the "dangerous lookin'" crowd, but it's odd, I have never seen ANY trouble at a Metal show (heck, I ended up kinda squaredancing at a Priest show with all these Brasilian guys.. I was a bit "mixed up" at the time but it was hilarious- every time a new tune started we would all look at each other and scream "YEAAHH!" and then start jumping around like idiots)
    Many of the folks might look "dangerous" but as someone else in this thread said, REAL Metal is all about brother/sisterhood- not many people see and ad for a MANOWAR show and say "hmmm... honey why don't we check this out?? It sounds like it might be a travelling medieval times" so you are prety much guaranteed that everyone has the same mindset

    I've seen MOTORHEAD 6 times and they have the "roughest" looking audiences IME but still, never had any sort of problems (well, a couple times I almost got puked on but you just gotta keep yer wits about you)

    Only band that I know haa a somewhat dangerous fandom is SLAYER and I'm not sure if that's even true so much anymore...

    Go to the show and bang your head like crazy, man, there should be little to fear
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

  6. #36

    Re: Any Metalheads out there?

    Quote Originally Posted by mabudon
    If it's possible, go to the show darko, you'll not regret it

    Go to the show and bang your head like crazy, man, there should be little to fear
    ha, i got nothing to fear. i have seen some insane pits and walked out with no harm done to my body. since i have gotten older, i just prefer to watch the band and head bang. it was just the way my friend described the fans of Manowar. they are really into that band. i wasn't saying metalheads are angry people, in fact they are quite the contrary. i've been to a lot of shows and never had a problem with anyone. most of the metal community are friendly people. i usually end up talking to at least one person everytime i go to a show/concert.

    but i will do my best to make it to the Manowar show.
    \m/ Heavy Metal or no metal at all, wimps and posers leave the hall. \m/
    [FONT=Century Gothic]That day in Theed I feel so far from what I was. When I came to rest all I could see was you. But I rose from my ruin to find myself greater. And all the days since have been to your end! - Maul [/FONT]
    Online Portfolio | Thracian | SW Action Figure Checklist

  7. #37

    Re: Any Metalheads out there?

    Quote Originally Posted by darko666
    my interpertation along with many other metalheads i know of think of nu(meaning the "new" metal bands)- metal as bands like Korn, Slipknot, Disturbed and any other band that fits into this catergory. because, in all fairness, the bands i just listed aren't in fact metal. thats what i believe to be "nu".

    and i don't care what anybody says otherwise, if you want to listen to it, go ahead, i'm not stopping you. but i hope the kids of today that listen to that, look back to the past and at least see where the real talent is. and i don't see myself as an insult to the metal scene as you so put it. because if i am, then there are a lot of other metalheads that are an insult to the metal scene. a lot.

    Sorry I just don't buy that. You label something Nu Metal because some metal doesn't fit the critera of what you and others that are not open minded think metal should be and sound like. Everyone has their likes and dislikes, but to label something not metal or nu metal or crap just because you don't like it is a crock.

    I remember back in 85 I went to see Ozzy and Metallica. I myself was there to see Metallica. When they came out and started ripping into Battery, half the people there didn't know what the h3ll was going on. People were actually boing because this was something that most of them had never heard. They were Ozzy fans and weren't very open minded to anything but what they knew and liked. You gotta remember metals roots go back to Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Blue Oyster Cult, etc. Before hearing Metallica, Testament, Overkill, Exodus, and others for the first time that is all I knew and thought that was what metal was. My eyes were quickly opened. Since then I have been into many kinds of metal and still am as you can see by my list above.

    All I am saying is you can't label something not metal because it isn't your kind of metal. There are many different kinds of metal and IMO that's a good thing. It keeps it fresh and new.

  8. #38

    Re: Any Metalheads out there?

    Quote Originally Posted by Monstermile
    Sorry I just don't buy that. You label something Nu Metal because some metal doesn't fit the critera of what you and others that are not open minded think metal should be and sound like. Everyone has their likes and dislikes, but to label something not metal or nu metal or crap just because you don't like it is a crock.
    yeah, thats how i feel. and i didn't coin the label "nu metal". that term began when these bands came into the public. and as i stated, i could care less what others think of my opinion on metal. i'm very open minded when it comes to music. i listen to what i like and ignore what i dislike. i listen to a wide varity of music, except for rap/hip hop, country, techno, pop punk and all modern day rock. but when someone defines a band to be something they are not, then i must put my two cents in. but i grow tired of explaining my thoughts on this, as i have done this with a couple of other people on other forums and i wasn't alone in the matter. i had other people backing me up or vice versa.

    i basically just want people to realize that not all bands that play heavy music or have screaming vocals are metal. it takes more than that. if you can give me one song by Korn that sounds metal, i may re-think my thoughts on this. but i know that will never happen. out of some of the bands you listed, some were metal and others were rock. look at the band Venom, they are a great blend of speed metal and rock. the same goes for Motorhead. you simply are just placing Korn in the metal genre because thats what mtv and the public views them as. but any metalhead with a knowledge of metal will tell you that they aren't. i can see you have great taste in music, but you should clearly see you are wrong in this matter.

    and the "nu" term just classifys those bands to have their own special catergory in metal. it's basically saying that if you ask someone what kind of metal they listen to, they either say metal or nu-metal. but don't yell at me for that term and what it means. i didn't create it.

    i have nothing against you, and what you listen to. so don't get all bent out of shape over this. you should just listen to your music and be happy with it. i'm done with this rant, so you can take it for whatever you want. and if your not pleased with it, then thats your problem.
    [FONT=Century Gothic]That day in Theed I feel so far from what I was. When I came to rest all I could see was you. But I rose from my ruin to find myself greater. And all the days since have been to your end! - Maul [/FONT]
    Online Portfolio | Thracian | SW Action Figure Checklist

  9. #39

    Re: Any Metalheads out there?

    Not bent out of shape at all darko666. I guess we can just agree to disagree. You like what you like and I like what I like. I'm sure our likes do cross paths.

    Oh and BTW. I never said I considered Korn metal. I like a few songs by them but not really a fan in general. I gotta give them this though. They have a huge and loyal following. I saw them on Summer Sanitarium in 99 and last year with Linkin Park. Their fans are rabid.

  10. #40

    Re: Any Metalheads out there?

    Quote Originally Posted by Monstermile
    Not bent out of shape at all darko666. I guess we can just agree to disagree. You like what you like and I like what I like. I'm sure our likes do cross paths.

    Oh and BTW. I never said I considered Korn metal. I like a few songs by them but not really a fan in general. I gotta give them this though. They have a huge and loyal following. I saw them on Summer Sanitarium in 99 and last year with Linkin Park. Their fans are rabid.
    yeah, we will find something to agree on one day. and my mistake for saying you considered Korn metal. yeah, they do have a big following. but, we do have similar tastes in metal. nothing like a rant to get things going. ha ha, it was bound to happen in this thread sometime. speaking of Summer Sanitarium, was Sepultura a part of that tour? i remember hearing they were on that tour along with Slayer. they were never the same when Max left.
    [FONT=Century Gothic]That day in Theed I feel so far from what I was. When I came to rest all I could see was you. But I rose from my ruin to find myself greater. And all the days since have been to your end! - Maul [/FONT]
    Online Portfolio | Thracian | SW Action Figure Checklist

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO