5 most disappointing games

Sometimes games fail to live up to the hype, or up to the standard set by it precursor. Spending $50 for a clunker is a real downer- so which games were real burners for you?

1. Zelda II: the Adventures of Link will always be the biggest downer. It gets points for trying, but the combat mode just didn't cut it. And the graphics were awful!

2. Star Wars: Force Commander The first game in which we could command AT-ATs was seriously bad, considering all of the delays and hype. The camera feature was pretty amazing at the time, but I rarely used it. I would put it in one place and leave it. Fortunately, Galactic Battlegrounds succeeded where FC failed.

3. Super Mario Brothers 2 tucked between two of the awesomest NES games ever was this strange abberation. Having multiple palyable characters was a new(?) wrinkle, but it was real let down, considering how great the original was.

4. Altered Beast the pack in with the Genesis had the luxury of having graphics that blew aqay what we were used to, but my kid brother beat it on like the first try, and he sucked. Waaaaayyyy to easy- and low replayability

5. E.T. I couldn't leave out the most notorious game of all! for you younger folks, this ATARI game was mystifying. You would just move ET from screen to screen and nothing_would_happen. It gets dull after about two minutes. ATARI deserved death for this outrage!

Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

Re: 5 most disappointing games

The most recent one for me is Chris Sawyer's Locomotion. It was basically a sequal to the old Transport Tycoon. You would figure after all these years, and countless "Tycoon" games, he could inprove the AI or graphics. Come to think of it, the controls were frustrating, too.

Zelda 2 with its side-scrolling jumping up and down, just a horrible game in the series, I wouldn't be surprised if it were another game in Japan that they simply rebadged as Zelda. That's what they did with Super Mario Bros 2, but I actually like SMB2, it's got fun and charm.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Cool topic....

I have been disappointed with almost all of the Star Wars games, aside from KOTOR and the SNES games...

All wrestling games on PS2, Gamecube and X-Box. The fact that there hasn't been a decent wrestling game since No Mercy on N64 is very disappointing to me.

Tecmo Super Bowl - PS1
    I loved all of the previous Tecmo Bowl games, but they took the "Tecmo Bowl" out of the Tecmo Bowl, and tried to make it more like Madden. It failed miserably.

Final Fantasy XI - PC/PS2
    I love all FF games, except for this one. I like MMORPG's, but this game just never felt right. They should never have called it FInal Fantasy, IMO.

Cybermorph - Jaguar
    I blame Gamefan for this. They hyped the holy hell out of the Jaguar and Cybermorph before its release. When I finally was able to play it, I was amazed at how horrible a game, and system it was.

Wizardry VI - SNES
    I was a huge Wizardry fan when I played it on the Commodore 64 and Apple II E. So I bought this SNES version, and by God, it was awful.

Robo Aleste - Sega CD
    This game was recommended to me highly by a game store clerk. I took it home, and wanted to beat my face in with a frying pan after playing it.

Bad Dudes - NES
    I loved the arcade version, and expected the NES version to be at least somewhat decent. Man, was I ever wrong about that.

Pac Man - Atari 2600
    You would think Pac Man would be hard to mess up, but even at my young age, that version of Pac man stunk.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

1. SW Battlefronts-Don't get me wrong I loved this game but it just wasn't action oriented enough for me and to be honest it was just too damn easy even on the hard setting and the online play leaves TONS to be desired. Hopefully they can correct it with BF2.

2. Halo and Halo 2-I only tried to play them because of all of the hype and once again to be honest I thought they completely sucked. The controls are too dodgy and it just wasn't fun to play but I can watch my roommate play online for hours on end. Weird, huh?
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by QLD
    All wrestling games on PS2, Gamecube and X-Box. The fact that there hasn't been a decent wrestling game since No Mercy on N64 is very disappointing to me.

Good point. A couple years back you recommended No Mercy to me on these very boards. I still play it a couple times a week. I've tried 3 or 4 other wrestling games for the PS2 and Gamecube, but I keep going back to the N64.

*"Star Wars Battlefront"(PS2): I think I expected too much from it.

*"Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace"(PS1): Thank God for "Jedi Power Battles".

*"Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005"(PS2): A GREAT game, but really no too different from 2004. I look forward to the new features each year and this years "Legends" theme didn't do it for me.

*"Star Wars Episode I: Racer"(N64): Again, a good game, but disappointing because it was impossible to finish (Damn you, Ord Ibana!)

*"Grand Theft Auto" series(PS2): None of them have been what people have made them out to be, IMO.

*"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project" (NES): Granted, nothing can match the second installment, but this wasn't even close. Just a bad game.
    Last edited by CaptainSolo1138; 05-18-2005 at 10:39 AM.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

I can think of quite a few games that were pretty big disappointments old and new. While some of these games are actually pretty good they're all titles I expexted a lot more from.

-Fable: Xbox -after waiting what seemed like forever for this supposed ultimate action/RPG game to be released it feel far short of it's mark IMO. Mostly because the game was extremely short and the action became very repetitive after a while.

-Gran Turismo 4: PS2-another game that seemed to take forever before it was completed. Once it was finished there was no online play as promised for years and not enough had changed since A-Spec. Still not a bad racing sim but hardly worth the hype or the wait, very disappointing

-Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty: PS2-great game if you like spending upwards of 30 mins watching cut scenes and then when you finally do get to actually play you were stuck using a second rate character (Raiden) instead of the series' hero Snake for the majority of the game. If I wanted to watch a movie I'd throw in a DVD and if anybody can tell me what the hell was going on by the time this game ended bonus points to you.

-Tomb Raider 2: PS1: I loved the first game and it was quite revolutionary for it's time but the series took a left turn with it's subsequent titles. Unlike the original the environments and the gameplay were incerdibly repetitious. One of the first times I actually gave up playing a game before completion due to a total loss of interest.

-Alien Vs. Predator: Jaguar: While it actually was one of the best games released on the Atari Jaguar it still suffered the same fate as most of this system's titles, the games just weren't deep enough. I'd give it points though for what was easily the best use of the cumbersome controller the system saw in it's short life.

-Virtua Racer: Sega 32X: A terrible looking racing game that was supposed to showcase the power and potential of the Sega 32X. It actually succeeded because the hardware eventually turned out to be little more than a $150 paper weight.

-Mortal Kombat: SNES: Water instead of blood anyone? When you think about how much attention games like Grand Theft Auto get in todays market due to it's violent content its funny remembering how big a deal this was back in the day. Most of us opted for the bloody version that came out on the Sega Genesis at the same time even though the SNES had superior graphics and sound.
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

Quote Originally Posted by JON9000
    Sometimes games fail to live up to the hype, or up to the standard set by it precursor. Spending $50 for a clunker is a real downer- so which games were real burners for you?

1. Zelda II: the Adventures of Link will always be the biggest downer. It gets points for trying, but the combat mode just didn't cut it. And the graphics were awful!

2. Star Wars: Force Commander The first game in which we could command AT-ATs was seriously bad, considering all of the delays and hype. The camera feature was pretty amazing at the time, but I rarely used it. I would put it in one place and leave it. Fortunately, Galactic Battlegrounds succeeded where FC failed.

3. Super Mario Brothers 2 tucked between two of the awesomest NES games ever was this strange abberation. Having multiple palyable characters was a new(?) wrinkle, but it was real let down, considering how great the original was.

4. Altered Beast the pack in with the Genesis had the luxury of having graphics that blew aqay what we were used to, but my kid brother beat it on like the first try, and he sucked. Waaaaayyyy to easy- and low replayability

5. E.T. I couldn't leave out the most notorious game of all! for you younger folks, this ATARI game was mystifying. You would just move ET from screen to screen and nothing_would_happen. It gets dull after about two minutes. ATARI deserved death for this outrage!

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SUPER MARIO BROS II, ZELDA II, and Altered Beast were some of the BEST games of all time!!!!!!!!
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!