Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hateful News Article

Here is a news article from the Denver Post.

http://www.denverpost.com/harsanyi

Basically I am apart of the Fan Group in the article. I live in Denver and this guy in the article just rips our fan group and Star Wars fans in general. This guy is a real jerk.

Just wanted to share.
    Bad Panda, No Bamboo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Hateful News Article

I don't know, I think he makes some really valid points.

And I agree that it is a little silly for a 30-year-old man to be running around in public pretending to be a space pirate.

I don't find it particularly hateful, perhaps brutally honest would be a better discription.

Space Pirate..... Argh!

"No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

So the author was collecting up until '99 and yet still has the gall to criticize those that still do? Apparently being promoted to columnist has affected his ego. He's should be happy he's not writing the obituaries any more.

Well, 1999 was 6 years ago.

How would you accept this article if it was written by someone who hadn't seen Star Wars or who hadn't collected Star Wars crap? I think the fact that he admits that he was heavily into the collecting and seeing the movies is a strong credential for his ability to "criticize" those that still are. Actually the main point of his attack is towards those that dress up like Star Wars characters and walk around town. I'm not saying that I don't do anything that isn't odd but I'll be the first to admit that it is. Not everyone who puts on a costume and invests hundreds if not thousands of dollars in a movie costume, then walks around will admit that they are doing anything that is a bit ridiculous. If it was Halloween perhaps we wouldn't bat an eye but to go to a movie? Don't you find those that dress up for the Rocky Horror Picture Show a bit odd? I mean, they are adults for crying out loud.

As he pointed out, there is those that hold on to their childhood, then there are those that hold onto their childhood, invest tons of their money on plastic toys, dress up as fictional characters and claim that such actions are a reflection of their childhood interests. Strange considering that most of us had a dozen or so action figures that saw every environment known to man and had little left of their original paint after years of play. How is buying 1000 action figures and keeping them all in their original packaging a reflection of one's childhood?

Some don't realize that there is a line that you can cross that takes this interest from a quirky hobby to a social oddity.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

"Dolls",hey they are action figures!

Not hateful,I think this is a casual fan/outsiders point of view on the entire thing.Try to imagine not being a Star Wars geek for a second,a bunch of crazed people running around with lightsabers and collecting toys.It can make you wonder otherwise,especially as many hobbies arent as fanatic.
    Last edited by InsaneJediGirl; 05-19-2005 at 08:41 PM.
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!

Hateful is the wrong word choice, yet there are hypocritical instances in the articles. He pokes fun at the obsessive fans, yet he has seen the movies numerous times. He says he is fed up and sick with the product tie-ins and promotions, yet it seems like for a period of time, he caved in and collected the action figures.

But at the end he makes light of the situation, admitting he will see the movie and then he talks positively about the charity events that force.net is holding for ROTS. And as others have said, maybe we fans are a bit strange at times, especially those who make the saga their sole aim in life.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

Outsider? This guy saw "AOTC" more times than I did, and have a large collection! And even if he did quit "collecting" in '99 he still saw the movie in 2002! I think he's just jealous that he doesn't have trooper armor to wear to the opening.

"And like a normal curmudgeonly adult"

You know, seriously, "F" that guy and the horse he rode in on. The guy's a hack. What kind of a journalist spends his time ripping on people for being undignified? I mean, isn't the whole fan-bashing thing a bit of a cliché at this point?

Lighten up Dave... it can't all be about the Broncos. Go have yourself a Coors, then spend some time trying to remember where you left your sense of humor and fun. (Schmuck.)
    plasticfetish.net

Talking Re: Hateful News Article

Wow. That guy sure knows how to use big words. Please. I was there for openig night and saw a whole bunch of people dressed like jedi and siths and other characters from the movies. You know what else I saw, the way the childrens eyes lighted up in seeing them. I see people that dress up like there favorite characters and people with enough guts to get out there and put up with jerks making fun of them for doing something as inocent as playing dress up. People nowadays are just to damn serious. Relax you guys, it's all in good fun. And I for one was happy to see a good turn out of costumed characters that night, they made me and most importantly my daughter very happy. especially when a Sandtrooper came up to her and said hi to her and took pictures with her. She could not stop talking about it. So leave them alone, let them light up childrens eyes with there costumes.

__________________________________________________ ______________

" TO SEE THINGS THROUGH A CHILDS EYES, IS TO MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE FOR EVERYONE IN IT."