Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Vader LE lightsaber (poss spoiler)

Is it me or is it kinda rediculous for MR to be releasing a new Vader lightsaber when he didn't even have one in ROTS. Seems like a way to try to drain more money out of us. I know I'll be passing on this one. Personally I think they should focus on making items that fans really want and actually had screen time. But that is just me.

Re: New Vader LE lightsaber (poss spoiler)

I'm conflicted with this issue, on one point I do agree because from what I recall Vader does not have a lightsaber in the movie(although I wasn't looking close enough). So how would we even know what it would look like? On the other hand, I am a huge fan of the replicas and my opinion has always been the more the merrier. So I dont know.
    "I have you now."

I was curious about that also. And to make sure, I happened to see Revenge of the Sith last night again, and I didnt see one! I looked specifically for it and didnt see it.

*on a sided note, theres a nice picture of it in the ROTS Visual Dictionary.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

It's another cse of "it was supposed to be seen, but ended up not", as is the case for many of the toys Hasbro released. The merchandising starts pretty early in the process. Most designs come from preproduction artwork or from the set during production. MR didn't know it woouldn't be on screen until the movie was already very, very close to release and the saber was already pre-aanounced. With the current practice of having open ended production on the LEs and retiring a LE when sales start dropping off, the Vader saber might be like Yoda's and end up getting an early retirement. Then again, you never know. Vader's popularity alone might allow this saber to sell well. I guess we will have to see.

Yeah, Vader is Vader and his saber is one of the most badarse in the saga, even though it's not in the movie I would definitely want one... heck, I have the previous Vader FX and I'm still tempted by this new one with half the batteries, more crash sounds, and an improved motion sensor. The original Vader saber introduced a lot of people to the FX line yet I know a lot of folks who still kick themselves for not buying that one when they had the chance and now have the opportunity to get an upgraded version (I dunno if there are any differences between the ROTS-era version, but I would suspect the D-ring is replaced by a covertec button). Only completists would be stuck feeling double-dipped, keep in mind that Master Replicas has grown SO far from almost 2 years ago when they first released the Vader FX saber, back then they were still somewhat unknown by casual fans, now they're being carried in major retail chains and the Vader FX saber is arguably the most iconic so of course they're going to get it out as soon as possible, it would be incredibly foolish not to do so and just as foolish not to give mass-retail customers the best quality version possible.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Yeah, Vader is Vader and his saber is one of the most badarse in the saga, even though it's not in the movie I would definitely want one... heck, I have the previous Vader FX and I'm still tempted by this new one with half the batteries, more crash sounds, and an improved motion sensor. The original Vader saber introduced a lot of people to the FX line yet I know a lot of folks who still kick themselves for not buying that one when they had the chance and now have the opportunity to get an upgraded version (I dunno if there are any differences between the ROTS-era version, but I would suspect the D-ring is replaced by a covertec button). Only completists would be stuck feeling double-dipped, keep in mind that Master Replicas has grown SO far from almost 2 years ago when they first released the Vader FX saber, back then they were still somewhat unknown by casual fans, now they're being carried in major retail chains and the Vader FX saber is arguably the most iconic so of course they're going to get it out as soon as possible, it would be incredibly foolish not to do so and just as foolish not to give mass-retail customers the best quality version possible.
    I'm not sure if I'm reading your post right, JediTricks, but are you saying that the newly-released Vader FX saber is the ROTS version?? I bought it a couple weeks ago, and I can say with utmost certainty that the new FX sabers are ROTS Anakin and ESB Vader. If you look at the new FX saber and then the ROTS Vader LE, you can definitely tell they are different.
    "The boy you trained, gone he is...consumed by Darth Vader." - Yoda, Revenge of the Sith

Yodasnews Review Archive: http://www.kid4life.com/yoda2/figurereviews06.htm

The new FX Vader is the ESB version. The previous one was the ANH version. The ROTS Vader FX probably won't be out until November, just like the Obi-Wan ROTS FX saber. Their release will coincide with the DVD release of ROTS.

The ROTS Vader is built from an unused design from the 80's. It shares a common heritage with the previous Vader sabers, but is very different in its detail. It really sets itself apart from the OT Vader sabers detail wise.
    Last edited by knightone; 05-21-2005 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sith Lord 0498
    I'm not sure if I'm reading your post right, JediTricks, but are you saying that the newly-released Vader FX saber is the ROTS version?? I bought it a couple weeks ago, and I can say with utmost certainty that the new FX sabers are ROTS Anakin and ESB Vader. If you look at the new FX saber and then the ROTS Vader LE, you can definitely tell they are different.
    No, I was not saying it IS the ROTS version, just that I thought it could be. I unfortunately haven't had the chance to see the Vader FX v.2 yet in person, so I was going only on what I had heard and what this thread's opening post was suggesting.

I think the rest of my point is still valid though.

knightone, I haven't seen the ROTS Vader saber yet in any form I guess, care to hit us off some images?

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Master Replicas displayed the ROTS Vader saber at CIII. The LE version will be available from MR first thing Monday morning. You will be able to see pics of it on the website starting tomorrow.

I didn't make it to C3, the only photo in our coverage of it is pretty dark: http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/sho...at=3076&page=1

I see what you mean though, pretty different. I'll check the MR site tomorrow for more photos, thanks for the info.