Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

the weird seduction scene

Palpatine's seduction of Anakin in the chamber after the performance. There was some bizarre sexual undercurrent to that scene. Something along the lines of a perverted, powerful old man trying to ply a young kid. First, he played on his trust and feelings of loyalty, told him not to say anything to the grown ups, then he mentioned the dark side in passing without moral judgment, then finally asked the kid to put out, all while looking simply pathetic- "yes, I know I am awful, and you should rat me out..."

That scene just made my skin crawl. If the parallels I just mentioned were there on purpose (and I think they were), all I can say is that it was perfectly written and directed by GL, and expertly acted by McDiarmid. Evil, evil, evil- that scene sold me on how thoroughly rotten Palps was. Ugh- makes you want a cold shower.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

Re: the weird seduction scene

For the most part, I liked Palp's side of that sequence. Ian plays it with just the right amount of cool-headedness in order to show that he is in charge.

What I didn't buy at all was Anakin's sudden robotic loyalty to Palps. I mean, the conflict he has just before de-handing Mace works well, but just about everything that transpires afterward is a disaster. The ONLY reason he chooses Palps over Mace (the Jedi) is because Palps is going to give him the secret formula for saving Padme's life. But almost as soon as Ani kneels to the floor, Palps retracts his statement saying instead that they will "figure it out together." What!? Well, that should have been Anakin's reaction because Palps said he knew which is why Ani supposedly chose to betray Mace. And time is of the essence because (somehow) Padme is imminently close to giving birth to full-term babies even though the timeline doesn't support it and she doesn't act like it at all.

To sum up: Ian's part good. Christian's part 5% good, 95% bad.

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid
    And time is of the essence because (somehow) Padme is imminently close to giving birth to full-term babies even though the timeline doesn't support it and she doesn't act like it at all.
    This sorta bugged me, too. Giving Uncle George the benefit of the doubt, I assume the course of the movie took place over a nine month period. That I can deal with. What I can't deal with is Padme RUNNING to hug Anakin a few hours before she gives birth. Now, I've never givin birth (because if I had, I would probably be really rich right now. Or part of an on-going scientific experiment. Whatever...) ,but I can't imagine a pregnant woman who is just about to pop would feel much like running, let alone be physically capable of such.

Just a thought, not a complaint. I'm sick of complaints already.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSolo1138
    I'm sick of complaints already.
    You're complaining about complaining!!!

as soon as Ani kneels to the floor, Palps retracts his statement saying instead that they will "figure it out together." What!?
    That bit seemed odd to me as well, because I thought going in that Palpy had this power and would use it to keep Vader alive, and hence loyal for all those years... nothing I would crap my pants, over, though. Just didn't play out like I expected...
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

You're complaining about complaining!!!

At least my complaint is an original one! I'm not beating the same dead horse everyone else is.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

Of course Anakin is going to became somewhat robotic, he just killed the head of the council and there's no going back, might as well do what he can to save Padme since that's all he has left (at least, he thinks he still has her ).

So does anyone else get the feeling that Palpy killed his master in his sleep after learning all of his powers, then he used the dark side to create Anakin from the force?
    That whole scene about the tragedy of Darth Plageious(sp?) led me to believe this.

Someone help me understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bantha274
    So does anyone else get the feeling that Palpy killed his master in his sleep after learning all of his powers, then he used the dark side to create Anakin from the force?
    That whole scene about the tragedy of Darth Plageious(sp?) led me to believe this.

Uh, how much more obvious does George have to make it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bantha274

Or it may have been Darth Plagueis who created Anakin for the express purpose of corrupting the prophecy to benefit the Sith (but in actually was following its true course the whole time because Anakin does bring balance in Episode VI). Sidious likely killed Plagueis and then decided to make his master's plans for Anakin as his own. He did a similar thing with the clone army that Sifo-Dyas ordered (according to Labyrinth of Evil). Palpatine is a master strategist and an opportunist.
    "The boy you trained, gone he is...consumed by Darth Vader." - Yoda, Revenge of the Sith

Yodasnews Review Archive: http://www.kid4life.com/yoda2/figurereviews06.htm