Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Hayden in the suit...why?

Why?

Why bother using Hayden to be the body inside the Darth Vader suit? I mean, this is a fictional character with established presence and an established look. To my eye, coming off that table he just looked way too small. I know they gave him lifts to make him taller, but that didn't sell it for me. I could tell that this wasn't the "large" Darth Vader that we see in IV, V, and VI.

In the OT, Lucas didn't feel obliged to use Prowse's voice or to put James Earl into the costume. There was no hesitation to use a stunt performer for the lightsaber battles. When the time came to reveal his identity in ROTJ, Lucas didn't feel obliged to reveal Prowse. Lucas did what was necessary then to create the illusion of an imposing supervillian.

So what exactly was the point of creating a whole new downsized suit to fit Hayden into? Why not bring back Prowse or somebody equally large to fill those shoes for those scenes? I mean, he invited James Earl back. Why not somebody actually suitable to be the man behind the mask?

Re: Hayden in the suit...why?

I didnt notice until now, but its true, he does look smaller. But the only one who can give us an answer about that one is GL himself. Still, he was not adviced properly.
    As always...........L

Seemed fine to me. I thought it was pretty cool that Hayden was allowed to wear the suit. No matter what you think of him, Hayden Christensen truly IS the chosen one. Lucas chose HIM out of all the other possible actors. I will forever think that it's Hayden's face under the mask whenever I see Darth Vader from now on.
    And I don't think that's such a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bantha274
    Seemed fine to me. I thought it was pretty cool that Hayden was allowed to wear the suit. No matter what you think of him, Hayden Christensen truly IS the chosen one. Lucas chose HIM out of all the other possible actors. I will forever think that it's Hayden's face under the mask whenever I see Darth Vader from now on.
    And I don't think that's such a bad thing.
    That's fine. You're SUPPOSED to think about it that way. But I'm talking about the filmmaking process, not the fictional suspension of disbelief thing. To portray Vader correctly, it should have been a large Prowse-like actor inside the costume, not a scrawny kid.

Well, he only stands next to Palpy and Tarkin for a few minutes. Didn't seem like his size comparison was that big a deal.

What bothered me more was Vader yelling "Nooooooooooo!!" after learning about Padme's death. That was right out of the original Frankenstein movie. Seemed pretty cheesy to me. I think just having him yell incoherently and destroying more with the force would have been more powerful as a scene.

I think hes shorter because he is, afterall, 19 years younger in this movie! Most everyone gets taller over the years. It's called GROWING UP!
    Sorry, after reading all these threads ripping the movie apart, I'm really shaken up! THE MOVIE WAS F-----G GREAT!!!
    "Chad Vader to aisle 5 for vomit cleanup. Chad to aisle 5 for vomit cleanup."

"Aren't you a bit short for Darth Vader?" - Leia
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

When I heard he was going into the suit I was worried because he is indeed shorter but since his legs got cut off the problem was solved.

He didn't seem to scrawny to me, it might have been but we didn't really see him doing too much so I didn't notice that. For me, the height was the big issue.

I was already cool with seeing young Ani as a ghost in ROTJ but now that I've actually seen ROTS I'd say Lucas was brilliant to put him in there. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by vadersvette
    I think hes shorter because he is, afterall, 19 years younger in this movie! Most everyone gets taller over the years. It's called GROWING UP!
    Sorry, after reading all these threads ripping the movie apart, I'm really shaken up! THE MOVIE WAS F-----G GREAT!!!
    Well,when growing up the part of your body that extends is the legs and,Anakin doesnt have much of those now does he?

I am going to guess that Episode III Vader was the same height as original trilogy Vader. Lifts in the shoes, whatever it took.