Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Your new name is Lord, um...er...VADER! Yeah, that's it...Vader.

As a curious parallel to Padme's instant naming session with the kids she holds no love for, how exactly does Palps arrive at that name anyway? It is so off the cuff that I was a little disappointed that there was exactly 0% explanation of why Vader is Vader. I don't know exactly what I was looking for, but after that interesting discussion about Plagious (sp?), I was hoping for some ultra-cool Sith history tie-in or something.

Vader, that's it. Yeah, Vader!

Re: Your new name is Lord, um...er...VADER! Yeah, that's it...Vader.

Dude, why don't you just say you don't like ROTS and leave it at that? It seems pretty obvious judging by all your posts. Why shred it to pieces so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Bantha274
    Dude, why don't you just say you don't like ROTS and leave it at that? It seems pretty obvious judging by all your posts. Why shred it to pieces so much?
    Dude, why should I stop at such a general and generic statement like that? Why don't you counter the "attacks" from me and A LOT OF OTHER PEOPLE with a slew of positive threads extolling the virtues of the film instead of trying to defend the film by attacking me?

And I really haven't shredded it to pieces that much. Only a couple of major issues stick out. This Vader naming thread was just a curiosity for me. That's all. Take your "I love everything with Star Wars emblazoned on it no matter what" attitude someplace else please. We're trying to have an adult critique and discussion here.

Even though we know that Vader carries the "father" connotation from the days of old, I like the thought of Vader being a riff on Invader which, frankly, he does to the Jedi Temple. That's why I like it.

Darth Maul was an attack dog who mauled over things, Darth Tyrannus was instrumental in bringing tyranny to the Republic, and Darth Sidious was the phantom menace moving behind the scenes, an insidious one to be sure . . . Darth Vader invades the Jedi Temple. Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid
    Dude, why should I stop at such a general and generic statement like that? Why don't you counter the "attacks" from me and A LOT OF OTHER PEOPLE with a slew of positive threads extolling the virtues of the film instead of trying to defend the film by attacking me?

And I really haven't shredded it to pieces that much. Only a couple of major issues stick out. This Vader naming thread was just a curiosity for me. That's all. Take your "I love everything with Star Wars emblazoned on it no matter what" attitude someplace else please. We're trying to have an adult critique and discussion here.
    Stillakid, I'm not attacking you and I apologize. I'm just having a bad day at work dealing with co-workers who have zero respect for the saga and just want bad-mouth the whole thing.

And to respond, I'm not a "everything SW is great" fanboy. Just someone who's had SW be a huge part of my life for that last 28 years and now that's it's over, well, I'm kinda saddened by it all.

To be honest, I am glad the "incidental exposition" was kept to a minimum in this one. It really helped with the pacing.

Stillakid, your question reminds me of a Joke:

One day, the three wise men went to visit the newborn king in Bethlehem. The last of the wise men was very tall, and on the way into the manger, he hit his head on a cross beam and said: "Jesus Christ!"

Mary looked at Joseph and said, "remember that one, honey, it sure beats Clyde!"

I couldn't tell you why Vader got his name, but it sure beats Darth Clyde!
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar
    Even though we know that Vader carries the "father" connotation from the days of old, I like the thought of Vader being a riff on Invader which, frankly, he does to the Jedi Temple. That's why I like it.

Darth Maul was an attack dog who mauled over things, Darth Tyrannus was instrumental in bringing tyranny to the Republic, and Darth Sidious was the phantom menace moving behind the scenes, an insidious one to be sure . . . Darth Vader invades the Jedi Temple. Classic.
    Huh, that's pretty interesting. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon
    To be honest, I am glad the "incidental exposition" was kept to a minimum in this one. It really helped with the pacing.
    I agree really. While I wanted to hear more, I think that had it actually been done, I would be cringing at it. Sort of like Yoda's OBVIOUS statement that he's going into exile. No sh**. Not everything has to be rammed down our throats.

But the way Palps just comes up with the name so quickly seemed kind of odd to me. I mean, these aren't normal names like John or Bob or Dick...Vader isn't exactly on the tip of the tongue for anyone. So where and why did Palps come up with it and is there really any logic to it within the story itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon
    Stillakid, your question reminds me of a Joke:

One day, the three wise men went to visit the newborn king in Bethlehem. The last of the wise men was very tall, and on the way into the manger, he hit his head on a cross beam and said: "Jesus Christ!"

Mary looked at Joseph and said, "remember that one, honey, it sure beats Clyde!"

I couldn't tell you why Vader got his name, but it sure beats Darth Clyde!
    LOL!

I think the problem with this scene lies in the way the line was delivered. There is too much of a pause between "Darth" and "Vader", and the inflection of the syllables in "Vader" gives the impression that the name just kind of came to him instead of a deliberate intention.

Whether this was a flub on Ian McDiarmid's part or Lucas' direction, we'll never know, but I believe that is what made it seem like Sidious was pulling "Darth Vader" out of his a**.
    "The boy you trained, gone he is...consumed by Darth Vader." - Yoda, Revenge of the Sith

Yodasnews Review Archive: http://www.kid4life.com/yoda2/figurereviews06.htm

I think the problem with this scene lies in the way the line was delivered. There is too much of a pause between "Darth" and "Vader", and the inflection of the syllables in "Vader" gives the impression that the name just kind of came to him instead of a deliberate intention.

Whether this was a flub on Ian McDiarmid's part or Lucas' direction, we'll never know, but I believe that is what made it seem like Sidious was pulling "Darth Vader" out of his a**.
    I agree. The way the book portrays it, Sidious sort of looks into the Force before coming up with the name. Remember, Sidious' main talent is his ability to read the future with the force. Kinda like he saw some significance in the name Vader, perhaps it was an intentional play on the word Father?!?!

In any case the film didn't portray it very well.
    May the force be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid

Don't let our new posters get you down just yet, stilla. This person is pretty new at this and hasn't gotten used to your creative criticism. That person got the impression you hated the film by your posts so far, whereas I actually got the impression that you found the film quite decent compared to the other films.

Along with the post topic, I had heard early on that we would find out the origin of Vader's name. I guess that was the origin, but I agree with stilla, I figured there would be more to it. But, I wasn't disappointed. I also thought that we would find out why Obi-Wan goes by Ben in the OT.
    Ah, good...here comes the Air Force with those new round planes.