Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Palpatine: "one cheated death" & Anakin's father? (merged)

when palpy tells ani that only one has cheated death i originally assumed he was referring to a previous sith lord. after rewatching the movie today i now feel that he was referring to qui-gon. somehow palpy determined, as did qui-gon, that someone could exist forever within the force. unlike qui-gon palpy obviously hasn't unlocked the key to this ability.

with this interpretation it makes palpy into a liar when he tells anikin that the secret to saving someone from death can't be taught by a jedi, since only qgj (and later ben & yoda) learn it. how and why ani becomes a spirit at the end of ROTJ are completely open for supposition.

thoughts?

Re: "only one has cheated death"

I thought he was talking about a prior Sith Lord who somehow figured how to extend his life. QGJ to me didnt cheat death, he died, he got gutted plain and simple. Yoda and Ben later give themself to the force. If QGJ can survive in the afterlife, why cant others? Maybe they didnt figure out how to come back, but QGJ did by continuing to study.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

The first time I saw ROTS I thought Palpy was refering to his master as being the one who has cheated death. However after seeing it for the 5th time, I am starting to think that the only one who has cheated death is Palpy himself. I could be wrong, but to me it makes sense.
    Give in to your anger with each passing moment you make yourself more my servant. ~ Emperor Palpatine
    Every single Jedi, including your friend Obi-Wan Kenobi, is now an enemy of the Republic. ~Palpatine
    [font=arial]I have brought peace, freedom, justice and security to my new empire. ~Vader[/font]

He's not talking about Qui-Gon.

I thought it was his master or Palpy himself.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Palpatine is supposedly 1000 years old in ROTS due to the knowledge he got from his master Darth Plagueis, so Palps is the one who cheats death here... at least for another 22 years or so.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

If you want to dip into EU, he could be talking about Exar Kun. Or Freedon Nadd.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Qui-Gon said something in the cut scene about a Shaman of the Wills, I read this at the Digital Bits.

The comic version mentions the Whills as well.

What is a Whill?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Initially when I read about the whole Qui-gon being the first to become one with the force thing and him teaching this to Yoda I thought 'wow thats a good idea'...but now that I think of it - it still doesn't explain why his body didn't disappear like Ben and Yoda's. Or is there some further explanation given in the film that I've not heard about? If not this is a stupid oversight which could so easily have been avoided by having Qui-gon disappear after he finished his dying words to Obi-wan, thereby allowing us to assume that all force-users disappear after death.