Thread: way back baby

way back baby

in keeping with the discussion that was starting to take the johnny lightning thread way(back) off topic, here is the link to the way back archive of what ssg looked like when us galoobies were forced into the diaspora by the evil lords that be in rhode island.

....then we were subjected to a revaming of the site (which of course lost all of our posts from the previous version .

and then we had this version which at least amanged to keep the old forums active for reference to go back to.

but then sometime in 2002, when the 1st incarnation of this current forum was brought on line, any link to our past was wiped away completely , althoug i love the current format of the site, i do miss the old days, things may have not been quite as neat and tidy as they are now, but i do miss the ability to see why and what we posted about in the old days.

jt, any chance of reviving a link to any of the long gone but not forgotten past of ssg?

btw, this is the 1st thread that i have started since 3/4/2004
    Last edited by good shot jansen; 05-24-2005 at 06:19 PM.
    0 /// /// F=MA~~~~~~~~~~~~
    what's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding

Re: way back baby

jt, any chance of reviving a link to any of the long gone but not forgotten past of ssg?
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean, care to elaborate?

It's funny to see those old systems again, when I don't see those for a long time it feels like just yesterday, but seeing them in person makes it feel like a hundred years ago.

The first forums you linked to, those were the UBB system which became so buggy that every post was met with "Internal Server Error" messages and chunks of the database started seeing corruptions, including the USER database!

The second forums there was the one SSG tried to write the software for in-house, that didn't really work so well, incredibly limited features and it started seeing problems. I believe that database is still somewhere on a server Steve has access to, but I think it's in offline mode so it can't be viewed, only accessed via administrative systems.

The third forums you refer to is the VB system, VB v2 specifically. The forums we're on right now talking about all these things is VB v3 and is using the same exact database as that VB 2, if you'll notice, posts and user accounts on these here forums date back to August 2001 which is BEFORE that wayback reference to the VB 2, so we've had a healthy 4-year run without troubles now, I think that's admirable.

It's funny, I look at those old forums and I think about how much I wanted Galoob to do this and that, how much MM Hasbro was going to put out, and now it's almost hard to believe that it's been so long since Micro Machines were truly alive. Thanks for waybacking us, that's another thing Marilyn introduced me to and I've found it quite nifty.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

i was just referin' to when the vb v2 was started, it still contained a link to the vb v1(?). as i remember, there was no way to incorporate the old forums with the new, that's why there was a link on the front page to both the old, and the new (current) forums. i was just wondering if there was anyway we could all take a trip down memory lane, and view the old forums again.
    Last edited by good shot jansen; 05-24-2005 at 08:40 PM.
    0 /// /// F=MA~~~~~~~~~~~~
    what's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding

Oh, we never used VB 1, you're referring to our second forums, which you linked to thusly: http://web.archive.org/web/200011170...ic.html?TID=20

(you'll notice that page has the copyright AND the programming both to Action Online, of which SSG is part of that network)

Anyway, I've bugged Steve about putting it back online a few times, he felt he left it up long enough, but next opportunity I get for it I will mention it to him as I believe that's the database we still have.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

*Boggles*

I have been going to SirStevesGuide since...what, 1996? Good GOD

I still have the old logo for SirSteves on my server for my homepage:

Got an old Star Wars.com thing from 1996, too!

Thems were the days
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oldss.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	11320   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oldsw.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	11321